U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 151 68.33%
Georgia 70 31.67%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
 
725 posts, read 709,180 times
Reputation: 235
Originally Posted by noland123
I think we can throw socioeconomics in here as well as I feel people who are well-off in the State of Georgia can eat as healthy of foods as people who are well-off in California. People who live in poor rural areas of Georgia are going to have a considerably poorer diet since they can't afford the organic foods and revert to frying things in lard. So it is a matter of wealth status.
^^^^^^^
MAN ur outta it. Where do you think organic food comes from... doink.. poor rural places grow their own crops thats how they can live on very little money. So their food is FRESHER AND MORE ORGANIC THAN AT AN ORGANIC MARKET...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,950 posts, read 1,609,389 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Mexican Probably, but there are some quality places now.
Salvadoran
Nicaraguan
Guatemalan
Peruvian
Indian We can go toe to toe. There is a large Indian population in Georgia centered around Atlanta and there are some high quality restaurants here. I worked for a while in India so I know the good stuff from the bad.
Hawaiian
Thai We can go toe to toe. There are lot of traditional Thai restaurants.
Burmese
Vietnamese We can go toe to toe. Literally hundreds of Vietnamese restaunts in Atlanta. Just had some Pho for dinner tonight
Chinese I'll give the edge to Cali, but we have some really great Chinese cuisine here from all the regions of China.
Taiwanese
Japanese Again, I'll give the edge to Cali, but we have some great Japanese restaurants here that rank up there with some of the best, with the exception of fresh seafood. That's one thing Atlanta suffers from being so far inland, and Georgia's only costal major city (Savannah) isn't big on Japanese cuisine.
Korean Nope, we can go toe to toe. Georgia (primarily Atlanta) is a top destination for native Korean immigrants now. Whole sections of the Northeast side of the inner metro are now Korean filled with any kind of Korean cuisine you can wish for.
Samoan
Tongan
That's surprising you say that. Atlanta's only 4 hours from Savannah and the Atlantic Coast; I would assume you can get same-day fish in Atlanta. There are restaurants here in Milwaukee that offer fresh fish flown in every day. For instance, the swordfish you eat for dinner tonight was still swimming in the Atlantic Ocean this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 6,664,564 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
That's surprising you say that. Atlanta's only 4 hours from Savannah and the Atlantic Coast; I would assume you can get same-day fish in Atlanta. There are restaurants here in Milwaukee that offer fresh fish flown in every day. For instance, the swordfish you eat for dinner tonight was still swimming in the Atlantic Ocean this morning.
Yeah, not really sure where he is coming from with that.

There are several competing provisioners that truck in fresh seafood daily from the Atlantic, the Gulf - and of course fresh things flown in from further afield.

Several local sushi places fly fish in from Tokyo's main market every day. The local chefs definately take advantage of our worldwide flight schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 1,742,536 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Seriously, get off California's nuts.

Agree totally

Seriously people, some people are just saying California because they think they are going to get a role on the latest reality tv show or something. Alot of these people have probably never even been to California.

Moving to or living in California does not automatically make you a health conscious, vegan, beautiful model or anything like you have been led to believe on tv. You can easily be a fat ugly out of shape loser in California, just as easy as in Georgia. You can also be a healthy eating, in shape environmentally friendly individual in Georgia.

It is all about choices and you have all the same choices in Georgia as you do in California for food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 01:55 PM
 
2,201 posts, read 2,648,236 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Agree totally

Seriously people, some people are just saying California because they think they are going to get a role on the latest reality tv show or something. Alot of these people have probably never even been to California.

Moving to or living in California does not automatically make you a health conscious, vegan, beautiful model or anything like you have been led to believe on tv. You can easily be a fat ugly out of shape loser in California, just as easy as in Georgia. You can also be a healthy eating, in shape environmentally friendly individual in Georgia.

It is all about choices and you have all the same choices in Georgia as you do in California for food
OK, I am from Cali and now live in Alabama. I've been to Atlanta many times and other places in GA. TO same the choices are the same is just wrong. When it comes to fresh, good quality food, each does have fresh food available (although possibly of different types). However, decent "ethnic" food is pretty much restricted to Buford Highway. To say that the Sichuan food (or most other east Asian food) in California is the same as in GA is ridiculous. There are genuine different choices in each place. Its all up to preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,773 posts, read 6,393,628 times
Reputation: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Originally Posted by noland123
I think we can throw socioeconomics in here as well as I feel people who are well-off in the State of Georgia can eat as healthy of foods as people who are well-off in California. People who live in poor rural areas of Georgia are going to have a considerably poorer diet since they can't afford the organic foods and revert to frying things in lard. So it is a matter of wealth status.
^^^^^^^
MAN ur outta it. Where do you think organic food comes from... doink.. poor rural places grow their own crops thats how they can live on very little money. So their food is FRESHER AND MORE ORGANIC THAN AT AN ORGANIC MARKET...
Man I was talking about at ur(your spelling)LOCAL STORES purhasing organic goods not farmer FRED IN THE FIELDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:30 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 3,329,081 times
Reputation: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Not really. Southern cuisine is mostly a mix of general American cuisine and what slaves were able to creatively influence with their African backgrounds. Like barbecue - barbecue was invented by the slaves who used their African cuisine traditions to take the worst cuts of meat (which was all they were given) and make them into delicious, tender meals. Southern food is also heavily influenced by Spanish and other creole cultures as well as Native American. It's hardly "completely separate from anything else".

But it's still unique, and the same can be said for California cuisine which is unique despite heavy influences from the various international cuisines most often found in CA. Really, it's the same thing in both cases with just different influences: Southern is influenced by European, African, Native American, Spanish and Creole, while California cuisine is more influenced by mexican, asian, middle eastern and California's heavy production and consumption of fresh produce.

So if international influences does not a cuisine make, then Southern cuisine is no more "a homegrown cuisine separate from anything else" than California's or anyone else's cuisine.

FYI - all the things you mention are part of their respective regions' cuisines.
Thank you. This is a much better explanation that what I was trying to give lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM
 
2,958 posts, read 3,329,081 times
Reputation: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Excellent and very accurate post.

Considering you've never been here, it's even more impressive.
Thanks bro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:38 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,086 posts, read 4,515,541 times
Reputation: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Why do you feel complelled to spew such nastiness in post after post?

I think the forum gets the fact that you have nothing but absolute disdain for this place. At this point you are beating a dead horse, and it makes you look like a bitter oaf.
What makes one look like a bitter oaf is when he can't accept that his city isn't always going to be the best for everything and at times will be out of the league of other cities.

If this were a thread like "Which city has better barbecue, NY or Atlanta???" I'd have no problem saying it's Atlanta. I might go as far as to say that NY isn't even competition for a city like Atlanta where barbecue is woven into the fabric of their culinary history as opposed to NY where at best we have some very good barbecue like Virgil's or Brothers but barbecue is not what I'd recommend to people visiting NYC, especially if they're from the south or (parts of) the midwest.

But this thread is California vs. Georgia and the subject is "food". Not even just cuisine, but "food". To me, that means all food offerings in each state, how do they compare. It is literally an unfair contest.

California is a much bigger state with a wider range of offerings across the state. There are 3 very big cities in CA - Los Angeles, which dwarfs Atlanta, whose metropolitan area is more than double Atlanta's AND more than the population of the entire state of Georgia (yet in one small area of CA). That's just their biggest city and metro area.

Then you have San Francisco, renowned for being one of the best food/dining cities in the US and the world. Always mentioned with NYC in the top 3. Then you have neighboring Napa and Sonoma valleys, which produce world class award winning wines. Georgia is hardly in that contest.

There's San Diego which is a paradise for Baja Mexican food lovers and is the fish taco capital of the USA. Sacramento is even a large city by Georgia standards, even if not so much by CA standards, and offers the diversity of food that one finds in most of the rest of CA.

Not to mention smaller cities like Santa Barbara, Fresno, SLO, Palm Springs, etc.

Not to mention that California is the destination for many more visitors and has world-class vacation spots all around the state, from San Diego to Yosmite to Palm Springs to Lake Tahoe. They have world class skiing, beaches, redwood forests, large mountains, fields and farms, deserts, and everywhere they have the accommodations and top dining options to cater to visitors. Georgia has Atlanta and Savannah, essentially. People don't flock to Macon and Valdosta like they would to Tahoe or Palm Springs.

Not to mention that California grows much more food, both in amount and variety, than Georgia does or ever will. They even outprouduce the "peachtree state" in PEACHES.

So, yes, it's not a fair contest, because California has so much more to offer and is so much better.

Georgia offers southern cuisine and barbecue. It is very good. There are good options for other cuisines in Atlanta and some good finer dining in Atlanta and Savannah. But California offers much more and is where food trends in the US originate. Sushi, as a popular food in the US, began in California due to their Japanese population. The California style burger, as opposed to the slider, came from California. In-N-Out burger is unrivaled in the nation, and Georgia has nothing that good in a fast-food chain. Neither does NJ or NY for that matter. We have White Castle, you have Krystal, but it's different.

You get so offended over my opinion, and I don't get it. You also ignore completely anything good I say about Atlanta or Georgia and their food, and you focus on the negative. I said repeatedly that southern food is delicious and I love it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie and say it's unhealthy. It IS unhealthy.

If you're unhappy with the facts that's fine, but don't blame me for being honest. You detest the way certain other people blindly defend their home cities and states, but you tend to do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,950 posts, read 1,609,389 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Not really. Southern cuisine is mostly a mix of general American cuisine and what slaves were able to creatively influence with their African backgrounds. Like barbecue - barbecue was invented by the slaves who used their African cuisine traditions to take the worst cuts of meat (which was all they were given) and make them into delicious, tender meals. Southern food is also heavily influenced by Spanish and other creole cultures as well as Native American. It's hardly "completely separate from anything else".

But it's still unique, and the same can be said for California cuisine which is unique despite heavy influences from the various international cuisines most often found in CA. Really, it's the same thing in both cases with just different influences: Southern is influenced by European, African, Native American, Spanish and Creole, while California cuisine is more influenced by mexican, asian, middle eastern and California's heavy production and consumption of fresh produce.

So if international influences does not a cuisine make, then Southern cuisine is no more "a homegrown cuisine separate from anything else" than California's or anyone else's cuisine.

FYI - all the things you mention are part of their respective regions' cuisines.
This is false. While it's true that Southern cuisine is a fusion cuisine, but the fact is it was developed hundreds of years ago and has since grown and evolved to become something completely unique and indecipherable from the original cultures that influenced it. Take the "trinity" (onion, bell pepper, celery) used in Cajun and Creole cuisine for example, it's really a hybrid of the French "mirepoix" (onion, clery, carrot) and the Spanish "sofrito" (onion, bell pepper, tomato).

So far everyone has stated that they despise California fusion, so apparently it's not the same, now is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top