Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,655,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie222 View Post
can't find sushi or mexican in georgia. Everything is fried and full of fat. Move to Georgia and count on gaining 30 pounds the first year.
Lol. I moved to Atlanta from NYC and during my first year, I gained 16 pounds. Thank goodness I lost it all once I got back to another walking city SF.

California definitely has better food. Better can also mean healthier and fresher ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie222 View Post
can't find sushi or mexican in georgia. Everything is fried and full of fat. Move to Georgia and count on gaining 30 pounds the first year.
LOL, what podunk small town do you live in? The funny thing is that I had sushi for lunch and mexican for dinner. SMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Lol. I moved to Atlanta from NYC and during my first year, I gained 16 pounds. Thank goodness I lost it all once I got back to another walking city SF.

California definitely has better food. Better can also mean healthier and fresher ingredients.
So THAT'S why you hate Atlanta so much. Don't blame you being lazy and getting fat on this city. That was a total you problem.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:50 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
but is it good sushi? I'm sure the sushi in california is better than georgia, doesn't mean you can't get it...but it won't be as good. It isn't as good in Chicago either. same with mexican...it is there, but not as good.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 PM

818 posts, read 1,379,349 times
Georgia is good for greased up soul food, and the greasy fast food industry is alive and kickin in Georgia... you into that sort of thing then Georgia is the place for you. However if you want fine food, some of the best food that will melt as soon as touching your tongue that the world has to offer then California is where to go. Other states like NY, IL, TX, FL, and MA all offer superior food scenes than Georgia also which ranks up there with other greasy neighbors like AL, MS, and SC for the soul food and fast food chains. BTW Atlanta has to be the capital for the most fast food/chains HQs on the planet, I lost count... wow

Old 05-10-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Georgia is good for greased up soul food, and the greasy fast food industry is alive and kickin in Georgia... you into that sort of thing then Georgia is the place for you. However if you want fine food, some of the best food that will melt as soon as touching your tongue that the world has to offer then California is where to go. Other states like NY, IL, TX, FL, and MA all offer superior food scenes than Georgia also which ranks up there with other greasy neighbors like AL, MS, and SC for the soul food and fast food chains. BTW Atlanta has to be the capital for the most fast food/chains HQs on the planet, I lost count... wow
That last line is funny... I think it probably does have more ff chains than any other city, and it isn't close.

It is one of ATL's niche...like SF tech, Houston oil... ATL has FF...

If the fortune 500 was the FF500, I bet Atlanta really would be the new york of companies.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,940,153 times
I honestly can't believe that most of these people have been to Georgia.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 AM

818 posts, read 1,379,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I honestly can't believe that most of these people have been to Georgia.
Well counties like Gwinnet and West Cobb are upscale and show an affluent amount of weather, those people find means to dine in world class and respectable outlets, no argument there but they account for a small amount of metro Atlanta, the rest of Atlanta and Georgia for that matter is nothing but low quality fast food locations and chain foods to get you through the day.

Its evident in your citys downtown, where the heart of your city is and most of your suburbs also evident why your city is the HQ to as many chains and fast food places as it is. Like grapico said, this may be Atlanta's niche and its surely making a monopoly of that industry on this

Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 AM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Well counties like Gwinnet and West Cobb are upscale and show an affluent amount of weather, those people find means to dine in world class and respectable outlets, no argument there but they account for a small amount of metro Atlanta, the rest of Atlanta and Georgia for that matter is nothing but low quality fast food locations and chain foods to get you through the day.
In what alternate universe is this paragraph true? West Cobb and Gwinnett upscale? LMAO

And what is an affluent amount of weather and when will this occur? I'd like to get my bucket ready now for whatever currency falls from the sky.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:11 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,940,153 times
Quote:

Its evident in your citys downtown, where the heart of your city is and most of your suburbs also evident why your city is the HQ to as many chains and fast food places as it is. Like grapico said, this may be Atlanta's niche and its surely making a monopoly of that industry on this
I'm not sure exactly what you were really trying to say, but I'll respond to what I think you said.

I live in a small city in NW Georgia, and can readily get fresh sushi, great Thai food, authentic mexican, outstanding southern cooking, locally grown organic foods including local free range beef and chicken (from my own county), frequent farmers markets for home cooking, fresh coastal seafood, 4 star Italian, etc, from the top of my head. I am a short drive from any sort of food from anywhere in the world,(Chattanooga/Kennesaw/Marietta/Atlanta), and I am from the Georgia "sticks". People don't know what they are talking about, have gross generalizations, or have never been here.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 AM

georgiafrog, have you eaten these same foods in say...japan, mexico, thailand? NYC,SF, Paris?
How many thai and sushi places do you have to compare, 200-300? or 2-3?

Any Michelin or high Zagat restaurants, which have outside sources where others also verify that said food is actually "the real deal"?

I am just wondering where you get your gauge from for what is "good" or "authentic".

Just because they serve something that is that "style" doesn't mean it is any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City