Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL, what podunk small town do you live in? The funny thing is that I had sushi for lunch and mexican for dinner. SMH

So THAT'S why you hate Atlanta so much. Don't blame you being lazy and getting fat on this city. That was a total you problem.
lol. Lets not go there, there are so many other reasons why Atlanta imo sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you were really trying to say, but I'll respond to what I think you said.

I live in a small city in NW Georgia, and can readily get fresh sushi, great Thai food, authentic mexican, outstanding southern cooking, locally grown organic foods including local free range beef and chicken (from my own county), frequent farmers markets for home cooking, fresh coastal seafood, 4 star Italian, etc, from the top of my head. I am a short drive from any sort of food from anywhere in the world,(Chattanooga/Kennesaw/Marietta/Atlanta), and I am from the Georgia "sticks". People don't know what they are talking about, have gross generalizations, or have never been here.
I remember going to Kenessaw and running into people who have never heard of or tried Thai food. Sounded so foreign and strange to me. They sure loved their Fast Food options up and down Chastain though.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
georgiafrog, have you eaten these same foods in say...japan, mexico, thailand? NYC,SF, Paris?
How many thai and sushi places do you have to compare, 200-300? or 2-3?

Any Michelin or high Zagat restaurants, which have outside sources where others also verify that said food is actually "the real deal"?

I am just wondering where you get your gauge from for what is "good" or "authentic".

Just because they serve something that is that "style" doesn't mean it is any good.
Probably not 200-300, but yes, I have been to NYC, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, Seattle, New Orleans, and many other cities across North America. I have eaten fresh lobster in Maine, and fresh crab in Anchorage. Never to Paris, alas. But I have eaten many foods from many places, am a pretty damn good cook at home with fresh ingredients (many locally, organically grown), and consider myself a decent judge of what is good food. Since California is larger than Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina combined, and has 5 million more people than those three states, I would venture to guess that as a whole, there are more options there. What I am trying to get at is the total misunderstanding that people have of Georgia, especially outside of the Atlanta Metro. Believe me, inside the perimeter you can get whatever you want, on the scale of whatever anywhere has to offer. But out here in the back woods of Georgia, there is way more than most of you all would think. Apparently.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I remember going to Kenessaw and running into people who have never heard of or tried Thai food. Sounded so foreign and strange to me. They sure loved their Fast Food options up and down Chastain though.
I'm sure you took a poll. Perhaps those people didn't like you for some unknown reason that can't be guessed by your last two posts on this thread.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I'm sure you took a poll. Perhaps those people didn't like you for some unknown reason that can't be guessed by your last two posts on this thread.
I could care less if those people liked me. All I remember is being asked what I wanted for lunch by the people at the Clorox office and I mentioned Thai and the look of surprise was .... just hmm uhm well you get the point.

Face reality man, Kenessaw is nowhere even close to the word cosmopolitan.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:44 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
A little history about California Cuisine:

Alice Waters is often credited as the inventor of California Cuisine
in the 1970s at her famed restaurant Chez Panisse, in Berkeley, California. The California Cuisine movement was considered reactionary, and though it takes many of its roots from French cooking, it opposed the French tradition of serving foods that are not in season. Instead California Cuisine evaluated the abundance of produce available locally and seasonally, and used these foods to form the basis of different dishes. Artichokes or strawberries, figs or mixed lettuces, all were used when in season. So the cuisine of a restaurant would change with the seasons offering an interesting and varied menu.

California Cuisine became the “it†food for a while. Restaurants like Wolfgang Puck’s Spago sprung up to meet the demands of this new cooking. Actually the cooking was not precisely new, as chefs in Europe had worked with the same theories for hundreds of years. As well, farmers can be said to have influenced California Cuisine, because they predominantly ate the fresh foods from their vegetable gardens.

At its best however, California Cuisine can offer delicious foods that are marked by their freshness and abundance. Produce is usually obtained daily. Seafood like the Dungeness crab is purchased when in season. Resultant dishes produce fantastic flavors because the food is so fresh. California Cuisine also early displayed a marked interest in organic farming, and diners discovered, to their delight, the taste of foods free of pesticides.

California Cuisine also brings us early fusion cooking forms. Though one might get traditional produce, one might also try bok choy, or loquats, or make use of the huge variety of local peppers to vary restaurant offerings. The California roll, often served in sushi restaurants is a perfect example of California Cuisine. The traditional sushi is served with a slice of fresh avocado and wrapped with seaweed.

California Cuisine also capitalized on trends in the culture toward vegetarianism. A mixed veggie plate served with cheese sauce made from local cheeses might tempt the vegetarian. As well, egg dishes, made from cage free eggs, or soufflés made from cream from local dairies could be offered.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM

105 posts, read 469,913 times
I didn't vote in this poll because the question is way too vague. The OP asked which state has better food/cuisine/restaurants overall. Better-for-you food or tastes better? Does he mean local cuisines only or food in general? Variety? Local produce? I don't see how anyone is debating in this poll. If you voted Georgia that means you feel that GA has a better restaurant scene and international options (because he did ask overall) than CA does too i guess. Or if you voted CA that means you prefer CA cuisine to......well does Georgia have a cuisine specifically tied to the state? I mean southern food or soul food is tied to a region that can encompass 10 other states. CA can say there's a style tied to the state and not shared by Nv, AZ, Oregon, or Wash. But on the flip side, I'm not the biggest fan of CA cuisine so me personally I would prefer southern food although it's definately not the better-for-you option. However, the southern style food I enjoy most is what comes out of Louisiana so I guess I would be back to square one again. If it's restaurants, do I pick Georgia because of the southern style food I prefer or do I go with CA because of the variety and international flair. I must give it to the OP. He has done a great job at having folks bicker over such a vague subject. He must be sitting behind his computer cracking up at the passion people are putting into this thread, I know I would be.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
I've never been to California, but I can't stand 99% of Southern "cuisine" so I'll vote for just about anything else.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 AM

105 posts, read 469,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I've never been to California, but I can't stand 99% of Southern "cuisine" so I'll vote for just about anything else.

I guess that's a way to do it, keep it simple.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
but is it good sushi? I'm sure the sushi in california is better than georgia, doesn't mean you can't get it...but it won't be as good. It isn't as good in Chicago either. same with mexican...it is there, but not as good.
Well that explains why I got food poisoning at at very expensive restaurant on Michigan Ave from sushi, they probably got the fish out of Lake Michigan.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City