Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 PM

201 posts, read 469,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
Lol. enjoying the posts so far. as every slang term from each region seems like its fairly accurate.

But one region that often gets overlooked for their unique speech patterns, dialect, and regional slang is Florida. we have our own way of communicating down here. ill give a few examples

South florida slang terms

Whut the lick read/whut they do - Greetings, how you doing

Slump - to lay someone out (ex: buddy roe dun got slumped)

Donk- high risers, chevy's with lift kits put in them and 24+inch rimms

54 - good, straight (naw cuzzo im 54)

38 - hot, mad (he dun got me 38 hot)

Shone/Eater - promiscuous woman (ex: im bout to call up one of my shones)

BIB(boys in blue)/Crackas/Trol Down - police

A Yoppa - an automatic riffle

Buddy roe/Cuzzo - friend, partner

Gada/Off Glass - something that's hot

Crip - High Grade Weed

Bop - walk (ex; Im bout to bop to da store)

Fie ya head up - smoke one with your friend

Off Rip/Blood Raw - Straight Up

Yard - 100 (ex: ill keep it a yard with ya)

Chunky - A packed event (ex: cuzzo dat thang was chunky)

Slide - drive (im bout to slide off to da store)
LOL good joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 PM

153 posts, read 526,283 times
I dont think I see Houston so here goes..

Slab- Customized car, normally with candy paint, grill, tv screens, and 5th wheel and pop trunk(thousands of these in Houston)
84s- rims typically used on "slabs"
Throwed- Crunk, Hyped Up
Bopper- females f**king for money or materials
Flippin- Driving
Hoez- this is the funny one because this word can be used to refer to about anything(cars,women,clothes, ect)
Swangin- Driving a car crazy ass hell!!To basically show off
Pop Trunk- Motorized trunk that goes up and down with neons showing hoods, names, messages ect.
Dipped out- Smoking embalming fluid, high, trippin
Drank- Codeine
Holdin- pretty much mean taking care of things or business
Screw-Music... Naw but it was all I listened to growing up-still do (slowed and chopped/mixed)

And anybody just can't say it. Houston has a certain countryness to it that it takes to execute the lingo correctly.

There is alot more but these are probably some of the most common words used in Houston everyday. I am 27 so I know many younger people dont talk like this but many of these slang terms are still popular in the H.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
texx,

That's some cool sh&t. Every area has its own slang. It's amazing how some of these terms mean totally different things from one region to the next.

In DC, "dipped out" means to leave. "I dipped out on those bamas at the party."

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
texx,

That's some cool sh&t. Every area has its own slang. It's amazing how some of these terms mean totally different things from one region to the next.

Bopper in houston mean the same in DC...a dipper in DC is PCP too (knows nothing about it)

Goes to show the midatlantic status of DC bc everytime I call my man...he automatically say Hol'up like he in houston...and back in 04-05 everybody was listenin to chopped and screwed in DC(still do)...somebody from bmore tried to put me on it 2 years ago like it just came out and I told him....hol'up

Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
texx,

Bopper in houston mean the same in DC...a dipper in DC is PCP too (knows nothing about it)

Goes to show the midatlantic status of DC bc everytime I call my man...he automatically say Hol'up like he in houston...and back in 01-02 everybody was crankin chopped and screwed music in DC(still do)...somebody from bmore tried to put me on it 2 years ago like it just came out and I told him......hol'up

Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post

Goes to show the midatlantic status of DC bc everytime I call my man...he automatically say Hol'up like he in houston...and back in 01-02 everybody was crankin chopped and screwed music in DC(still do)...somebody from bmore tried to put me on it 2 years ago like it just came out and I told him......hol'up
ROFL! Chopped and screwed was beyond played out 2 years ago

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
texx,

In the Central part of Texas, dipped out is used the same way as DC.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post

The first time I was in DC back in 07 or 08, I heard screw played in a car while I was walking down the street and was trippin about hearing it. That really opened my eyes to how big screw got in recent years outside of Texas. Many people from Houston been listening to it since like the early, mid nineties and really grew up with it. Thats really how I learned about Biggie, Pac, and other rappers I would have probably otherwise not so much been exposed to because of the screw tapes. For me, it is really not a fad but more of a culture/lifestyle kind of like go-go in DC where I will more than likely listen to it for the rest of my life.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In the Central part of Texas, dipped out is used the same way as DC.
Yea, my wife is from San Antonio and they use dipping in that way even though I know some Houston people do to. When I think about "Dip" Sherm comes to mind first but that shows how words have different meanings all the time.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
even city data has its own slang!

Thread - a topic
troll - basically someone who inferes with the well being of the threads or a city hater

IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my humble opinion
Mod - moderator
booster - somebody who loves their city to a fault

ect. ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City