Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I went from baggy clothes to fitting clothes, am I biting off Dipset?

Record sales mean what in today's world? It represents the white suburban kids who buys the albums, not the other half of the fans who don't buy the album. Record stores nor record sales are the same since 2000.
you started rocking wallet chains, true religion jeans, ed hardy tees, red bandanas, throwing sets up, saying "no homo" and shouting out dipset too? oh ok.

record sales mean everything to an artist. that and buzz. its a business. how you gonna pay your label back if you don't sell. the only other option is to tour. a lot of southern artists tour and are relatively successful from tour money alone (because they aren't selling records at all) but again, ny artists aren't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you started rocking wallet chains, true religion jeans, ed hardy tees, red bandanas, throwing sets up, saying "no homo" and shouting out dipset too? oh ok.

record sales mean everything to an artist. that and buzz. its a business. how you gonna pay your label back if you don't sell. the only other option is to tour. a lot of southern artists tour and are relatively successful from tour money alone (because they aren't selling records at all) but again, ny artists aren't?
All of that was a nationwide fad, Wayne wasn't the only one to fall into it. When he started wearing skinny jeans and beanies did he bite off of Cali skater boy swag? Was he biting off of Miami rappers when he moved to Miami and signed Khaled?
Wayne is a horrible artist anyway...

Not many artists make money from record sales, most of it goes to engineers, producers, managers, etc. Most artists make money from features, concerts, and event appearances.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
eek

ny started that and it started from emulation of Jamaicans. jim and all of them weren't doing that because thats what was hot in cali or what was hot in the skater sub culture or whatever.

west indians were rocking stuff like that.

wayne emulated dipset period. it is what it is.

it became a nationwide fad due to wayne emulating dipset. it was already a fad in ny at the time.

wayne might be a horrible artist to you but he is emulated by many. anything he touches becomes "gold" so to speak as far as teenagers are concerned.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
read their lyrics on a site that has a bunch of lyrics. their bar structure is very north east.

most southern rappers rap like (off the top of my head)

in the trap, *****s got them thangs mane
but it feels like nobody feel my pain
12 pull up now we face down in the rain
can't even call my girl cuz i don't have the change

where as northern rappers rap like

on the block
*****s got those guns with the pump action
me and my dudes dumb packing
the sk leave you slumped, bastard
cops pulled up i made sure the trunk fastened,
inside, the nike box that i dump cash in

etc. etc.

t.i. raps more like a person from the north with a twang. as does lil wayne. and ross.

t.i. might say something like

ya boy tip in a donk mouth full of gold teeth/
black mask shawty from the south
mane you know me/
but you'own know me
leave you
with cold feet/
cold body
blow shotty
got them hollows own me/

lol nobody steal my stuff. i made all of this up.

rapping over sped up soul samples
rhyming the last two or more words of each bar
metaphors
coke rap
crew full of nyers or ppl from other states in the north
blood affiliation (sorry but nobody was doing that til dipset stepped in)
etc.

honestly ny isn't selling IMO because of beef but also because the south is/has been using our formula and putting their own thing on it to get airplay and sell.

also i feel like we lack marketing. we have had several songs that should have been huge singles all over the radio outside of the tristate but without proper marketing...well, you have what you have.
I don't know about some of that stuff because the south had a rap scene prior to all that trap southern country hip hop you speak of and it sounded nothing like that. It's hard to understand how these dudes rap like people from NY, but were influenced by other southern rappers.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM
eek

actually, when you read their interviews a lot of them were influenced by ppl from ny (understandable considering our dominance from 79-about 2003).

Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Guess where he's from.

YouTube - KEVIN GATES-LYRICAL HOMICIDE

YouTube - KEVIN GATES-POSTED

YouTube - KEVIN GATES-POSTED

Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,113 times
I would like to add something to the hip hop discussion:

You can normally tell which region is on top or most dominant at the time by who has the largest influence on the culture at that time (music, clubs, fashion, cities) and not necessarily by album sales. When NY was on top, everyone dressed, talked, and rapped like they were from NY. NYC was the city to visit at the time. Same with the West, and as of recent with the south. Most songs you hear now will more than likely have a southern/club vibe and sound to it. Most rappers have slowed down their rap and sometimes its even southern sounding (more of a drawal) or has southern lingo involved (using the word trap or chopper). Most popular songs/music/dances get hot in the south first and then makes its way to other areas. Southern music has the clubs in a choke hold. And whether you agree or not, the club scene is a large part of the hip hop community. Moving south (ATL) has been the new craze over the years in the hip hop/black community whereas everyone wanted to move to NYC back in the day. And Im just using NYC and the south as an example. Nothing against or trying to downplay NY.

I feel that every region in the hip hop community is pretty much on an even playing ground coming into this new year, but with a slight edge still going to the South. If you really look at it, region doesnt really matter as much anymore. The regional thing is played out. You have rap crews out now with members from several regions (Maybach Music, Brick Squad, Young Money, GOOD Music). The top artists in the game now are Nicki (Queens), Wiz (Pittsburgh), Wayne (NO), Drake (Canada), Kanye (Chicago), Ross (Miami), and of course Jay Z (Brooklyn) and Eminem (Detroit). Moving forward in hip hop will be all about your connections moreso than region. Most of the new artists coming out have a universal style that most regions can relate to. (See Wiz, Nicki, and Drake for instance). Being extra NY or extra southern or extra West Coast isnt going to cut it moving forward if an artist wants to be more than just a regional star.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
All of that was a nationwide fad, Wayne wasn't the only one to fall into it. When he started wearing skinny jeans and beanies did he bite off of Cali skater boy swag? Was he biting off of Miami rappers when he moved to Miami and signed Khaled?
Wayne is a horrible artist anyway...

Not many artists make money from record sales, most of it goes to engineers, producers, managers, etc. Most artists make money from features, concerts, and event appearances.
I don't think its a nationwide fad lol I'd run away if the guys here started with that ish j/k

Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I don't think its a nationwide fad lol I'd run away if the guys here started with that ish j/k
It was. Every urban style kid bought that hideous Ed Hardy gear, wore skulls and all that crap. You don't remember that?

Old 04-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
It was. Every urban style kid bought that hideous Ed Hardy gear, wore skulls and all that crap. You don't remember that?
naw I know what you mean. I lived in FL at the time it really caught on. Ugh! Hate that look. But Detroit dudes never really rocked it (thank God!). They are probably the only dudes on this side of the sun who still rock jeans that are closer to being baggy than tight jeans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City