Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I never said they had the same slang; I said similar. However, both have their own distinct slang.
Similar in what way. What words does both cities use in your observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
What? You couldn't be more wrong...sure there are some words that you can debate on where they came from first, but there are others that undoubtedly started out in the Bay, or are used only in the Bay. I really don't see how you could say that some of the stuff int hat video is used in other places. "Fly Me to Boston?" Yeah i'm sure they say that elsewhere
There is a difference THINKING they were originated there and ACTUALLY originating there. Also, so many of these slangs are used in cities across the US, the actual roots are hard to trace. Don't believe me? Come stay with me in Cleveland or my old place in Arlington or Washington DC.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Similar in what way. What words does both cities use in your observation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post

New Orleans I know from hotboys is whoday or "round"...biznight...they started that whole "u heard me" "u dig" talk

In addition to that; you have:

Fixin to - about to
I will merk you -Harm you
"Looka Here" - about to explain something
"Juvey" - someone younger than you

There is more but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:11 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
There is a difference THINKING they were originated there and ACTUALLY originating there. Also, so many of these slangs are used in cities across the US, the actual roots are hard to trace. Don't believe me? Come stay with me in Cleveland or my old place in Arlington or Washington DC.
And what makes you think that you're right over what I think? It's your word vs. mine (and at least i have thousands of people who will back me up on at least some of that slang being from the Bay), and neither of us have real definitive proof one way or another anyways (there's no slang encyclopedia or history books, are there?), so there's no point in arguing. But for you to say that everything in that video is from somewhere else and that none originated in the Bay Area just makes me think you have something against the Bay Area. Do you think everyone in the Bay Area are a bunch of lying biters who constantly delude themselves when it comes to our own slang and where it came from? We all have mental deficiencies and poor memories or something? E-40 made up a good chunk of the slang that we use over here for example...he literally would just make up words and sayings. Some stuck, and some didn't, and some are now extremely well known nation wide (such as all that heezy fo sheezy fo shizzle crap, that's an example. E-40 coined it, Snoop Dogg popularized it)

I have an idea: Why don't YOU make a list of Cleveland and DC slang, rather than just telling other people that they're wrong, with no basis to back it up. This thread is supposed to be entertaining, not some pissing match.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,604,323 times
Cappin, finna, what it dooski, swangin doors ,etc.. and I don't need to come up with DC and Cleveland slang, as most of it was already said in this thread. Why's that? Because a lot of urban centers have similar slang.

And no one says fo sheezy, etc lol.

Why do you think I have something against The Bay? Grow up dude, I ain't got a problem with the Bay... I'm just saying those words are used everywhere! Sure a few aren't, but majority are.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,195,846 times
New orleans!!!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Why do you think I have something against The Bay? Grow up dude, I ain't got a problem with the Bay...I'm just saying those words are used everywhere!
Oh Really? All of those words in the video are used everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeoHood
Sure a few aren't, but majority are.
Nice to see you contradicting yourself. This is what you just said on the last page of the thread:

Quote:
I hope this is a joke. Every single word in the first video posted is said in every urban city in America... hahahhaha
So which is it?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,434,345 times
Quote:
Memphis slang I know from 36...there favorite phrase is "dont play" and whats the bizness?...they say "tone" for gun and junt for joint...ghetty is that money

New Orleans I know from hotboys is whoday or "round"...biznight...they started that whole "u heard me" "u dig" talk
.. interesting

Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 AM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
Yea thats some D.C lingo for ya.....I dont think we use as much slang over in Pg, MD but basically the same......but yea that bay area "bammer" is something totally different like slim said it started with song in 92'.In D.C it came from the southerners like my grandparent who migrated from the south.now its just an informal noun for somebody...Also chicago cool but they be actlin like everybody tryna be like them from slang to claiming they the murda capital ALL the time.....bammas been saying young, joe, moe, slim, cuz, since I learned to formulate sentences.....but of course you turn it off and on when u got ur corporate hat on
What? Who are u talkin about? I know i sure as HELL nerver said that BS. I've never seen anyone say it either EXCEPT some troll who keeps combing back saying chicago is the murder capital.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,659,862 times
Quote:
I hope this is a joke. Every single word in the first video posted is said in every urban city in America... hahahhaha
Yeah and yall welcome for all of em too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City