Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Shouldn't be a shock. Family members and music collaborations are plenty between the Bay Area and Houston. But Texas has alot themselves.

DC and Chicago use Joe. The only two cities that I know that uses Joe. Chicago uses Charlie though. When they say it, I usually laugh.

True; I forgot about that. I was looking at the video and was like they use as much slang as us lol. Except we spell treal like trill.

I though only the central Texas area used "Cuddie". If you said that in Houston or Dallas; people would look at you like you was crazy.

I guess Texas just like look at the video for most of Texas slang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM

593 posts, read 1,754,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True; I forgot about that. I was looking at the video and was like they use as much slang as us lol. Except we spell treal like trill.

I though only the central Texas area used "Cuddie". If you said that in Houston or Dallas; people would look at you like you was crazy.

I guess Texas just like look at the video for most of Texas slang.
yeah, but that slang originated in the bay...that wa the point of the video

Old 01-23-2010, 04:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
yeah, but that slang originated in the bay...that wa the point of the video
Well he spelled "gwop" wrong. It's suppose to stand for something.

GWOP = George Washington on Paper.

Also, I never denied the fact that it did. You had lots of Texans (or California in general) moving out to the Bay area and vice versa.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 PM

902 posts, read 2,774,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
our version of that bay area video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_V365SRcu8
of course that song kills the bay one, because Big L is a way better rapper than whoever that was. NYC has some great slang, but not nearly as much or good as the bay imo. NYC has bit bay area slang in the past plenty of times.
I like New York slang though. such as.....

I got mad bills yo.

In the bay that would be something like....

I got hella chips/cheese/gwop bruh.

or

Aye bruh's pocket's are hella fat! He walking wit a limp!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
(more nyc slang in a sentence or more)
man, they be trickin on these ho's, son...gassin em up and shhh...tellin them they look cute and all that.
couldn't be me tho.
a real nuh would tell a *b word* what she needs to do. these bum ass nuh's got the game all effed up.

*this is really difficult. even i don't use that much slang in a setence. i mean maybe there are times that i do but to sit here and think about it is another story...

if i had to list them:

trickin
gassin
bummy
bum ass
smut
jumpoff
box
throwing the box
mad
garbage
swammy
bm
b
bamma
son
off that
grimy
do you
keep it movin
na'mean
dun
real spit
real rap
chill (not like "chill out" or chill son...but like that spot is chill)
shady
hipster
guac, gwap, gwop
stacks
frail (you looking mad frail...as in skinny, thin, etc.)
whats good
bout that
bout that life
brick
cake
weight
burner
heater

all belong to us.
Those would not be original slang from NYC, all bay area slang right there. Don't give me no Bamma weed, we don't smoke that **** in the SFC!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Hella...thats Bay Area...where it all seems to originate
so is bruh and finna.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
How did "fly to boston" come to mean that?
It is sexual term, I don't really know anyone who uses that except for some rappers.

It means I want some head(jaw) so I am gonna take a flight to Boston, because boss is slang for getting head. Some also say I'm going to take a trip to Jamaica(jaw-maica).

Old 01-24-2010, 08:01 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
bruh and finna originated in the bay? Don't know about that one.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Those would not be original slang from NYC, all bay area slang right there. Don't give me no Bamma weed, we don't smoke that **** in the SFC!
they have different meaning in the ne tho...
are we talking about cake as a money reference or drugs? and i thought you said gwop originated in the bay. guac as in guacamole as in green as in money is from nyc, afaik. somewhere down the line, guac turned into gwop (just like thun turned into dun).

and the bay bites nyc slang too. its not like everyone is isolated. everyone everywhere uses american slang in america, lol. i feel like the bay is taking credit for stuff that was started elsewhere too. i thought finna/fixing to/fin started in the south...i also gotta disagree with bay area slang being as good as nyc. its a personal preference thing, i'm sure but you guys make words up that just sound ridiculous.

on some:

i'ma go ghostride da whip hella speckicide playboy, you nadda meanskadda diddly dee my dude?

Last edited by eek; 01-24-2010 at 09:58 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 10:52 PM

374 posts, read 1,120,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
The D.C area uses alot of slang....I say things sometimes that just roll off the tongue....other ppl from the area understand but if I say something over to clarify I end up still using slang for another slang term.....We dont say things like NY and them we say "young" for "yo we call ppl "joe""moe" "ji like" for kind of.....basically saying things without saying it indirectly
Joe? Yall got that from Chicago, we've been callin people joe since the 90s. Thats 100 percent Chi-town slang, along with Charlie, Shirley, Flickin, Tweekin, Whadown, Chicago slang is different than anywhere else and its unique to Chi-town. No other place has the distinctness where you can tell just by his or her slang you know exactly where they're from. At least not too my knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City