U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 05:55 PM

48 posts, read 280,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
my point of CA was that you can find that all in ONE STATE, NOT A REGION. You can go swimming and skiing in the same day and then visit a wine factory the next morning. it would take DAYS to do that in the Midwest.

and the lack of scenery besides a frozen lake is why some people don't like Chicago. IMO without a lake, chicago would be ugly since it's flat with nothing around it. Denver and SLC would be pretty without any buildings. i think natural beauty is better artificial beauty. thats why seattle, vancouver, and honolulu are my favorite cities because they combine that perfectly

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR AGREEING WITH ME^^^. I HAVE POSTED MANY THINGS AGAINST CHICAGO, BUT NO ONE AGREES. It's not that i don't like it, i just think people overrate way too much. Finally someone agrees that buildings aren't all there is to a great skyline. NYC is the only exception.

No problem. WOW! Great minds think alike! I have thought the same thing for years. Chicago has never impressed, and just seems like the little cop-out sister to New York. That works for some people, and that's great, but not for me at all! At one time it might have been cool. But now it is just a competition between them and New York. The sad thing is, I don't think New York is in any danger of being outdone. Just look at the Freedom Tower being built in NYC. Now Chicago has one going up that is supposed to be bigger(and in my opinion tons uglier.) Why the heck does Chicago need one!?

Yeah, Denver might not have the most a sophisticated skyline, but I'm with you, natural beauty is far more impressive than man made steel.

Where does someone get the right to say that without the mts. Denver's skyline wouldn't be much? OK, like I said, maybe that is true. But how many times is a picture of Chicago posted on here where the murky, usually frozen, Lake Michigan is shown right next to a row of Chicago skyscrapers? TONS! What a false sense of what the city is. Beach fronts are the last things I think of when I think of the bitterly cold Chicago winters. If we in Denver are cheap because we show some of the world's tallest peaks in our backgrounds, than Chicago is too for showing these elaborate pics of Miami like beaches. (I know they must have photo shopped some of those in.) At least the nature we incorprate into our pics is what the town is really all about. Denver is an outdoorsmen's paradise! How many people come to the cold Windy City looking to take a dip?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,306,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
Never been impressed by chicago? WOW. And there are three supertalls that are either UC or proposed

This whole post may seem a bit random, but Im trying to show you that it isn't about competition
If it's not about competition then why is Chicago getting tons of new supertalls even if there aren't that many people? Of course it's a competiton and people from the Midwest won't admit it because they know they're losing. NYC will be better no matter what Chicago does b/c NYC has the history and the buildings themselves with their stone and Empire State Building style has culture and history built into them. what history does Chicago have. LA may not have many tall buildings, but in half of one district near DT there is more culture than all of Chicago

Old 06-13-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
If it's not about competition then why is Chicago getting tons of new supertalls even if there aren't that many people? Of course it's a competiton and people from the Midwest won't admit it because they know they're losing. NYC will be better no matter what Chicago does b/c NYC has the history and the buildings themselves with their stone and Empire State Building style has culture and history built into them. what history does Chicago have. LA may not have many tall buildings, but in half of one district near DT there is more culture than all of Chicago
LOL! It's funny, because it is sooo true. Chicago just can't seem to let it go. Denver learned along time ago that it is better to be yourself, than try to be the better of another. Now, look how it is turning out. It has become one of the BEST destinations in the states.

It impossible to take tour or talk to a die hard Chicago native without hearing everything in Chicago that is better, or will be better within the decade, than New York. Chicago will always be the Honda, and New York will always be the Lexus.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 PM

[quote delete]

Look at those pics!!! Man! What are we thinking?! The mountain cities have no beauty at all. Nothing but souless wastes of space for sure! I can't believe that I live in one of them. Those picks look so bad that I think I will give up everything in Dever, and move to the flat midwest.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: [quote delete]

Old 06-13-2007, 08:07 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,040,215 times
Quote:
LOL! It's funny, because it is sooo true. Chicago just can't seem to let it go. Denver learned along time ago that it is better to be yourself, than try to be the better of another. Now, look how it is turning out. It has become one of the BEST destinations in the states.

It impossible to take tour or talk to a die hard Chicago native without hearing everything in Chicago that is better, or will be better within the decade, than New York. Chicago will always be the Honda, and New York will always be the Lexus.

Umm, excuse me, CHICAGO INVENTED THE SKYSCRAPER, IT IS BEING ITSELF.

and what your trying to say is that ny is much classier than Chicago, well that my friend is a matter of opinion (other I do prefer NY and my posts are making it not sound that way)

And jessemh431, more culture in half a district in LA than ALL OF CHICAGO???? Have you ever been to chicago?

And you seriously Think chicago has hardly and history? WOW.

oh, and seriously, you think that there arn't that many people? 9000000+. A skyline or how many buildings it has isn't determined by population

Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldercol View Post
No....what I am trying to say is that NYC is better than Chicago, end of story, no debate.
no, there has to be debate. Its simply an opinion. And anyway, whats a forum without different viewpoints?

Quote:
I have been to NYC and Chicago an equal amount of times, and the whole feeling of Chicago is, HOW CAN WE BEAT NYC. Maybe you invented the skyscraper, but look who has taken in to its full 21st century potential. If you don't see that then you must be blind. I can't think of another city, besides Chicago that is more competetive about its status quo in cmparision with NYC.
do you still think NY is the head of Skyscrapers? Look at Hong Kong, Dubai, ect...
and I never said I didn't see that

Quote:
This forum is the best places to see this happening right before your eyes. Look at how many people from Chicago become so defensive and rude when it comes to defending their city from nay sayers. If that isn't an inferiority complex then I don't know what one is.
Well, mabey it would be a little better if some people (not directing this to anyone) wouldnt try to put NY in their face. I mean, It does get a lot more attention

Quote:
Even in cities that are closer to NYC, Boston and Philly, are less absorbed with this game. Once Chicago stops this, then maybe, it will be a great place to visit. But for now, we will just have to wait and hold our breath.
Boston and phily arent like NY and Chicago. NY + chicago are more World cities, so its a bit different. But Im not going to denie this, they do seem to have a little sense of trying to be better, though

Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
how is chicago getting TONS?
NY is getting over 5 currently

Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
jessemh431

You wrote: chicago would be ugly since it's flat with nothing around it

I am curious, what makes flat with nothing around it, ugly?

regards...Franco

PS: I am a mountain lover myself, but I truly don't understand what makes flat ugly

Old 06-14-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowell View Post
jessemh431

You wrote: chicago would be ugly since it's flat with nothing around it

I am curious, what makes flat with nothing around it, ugly?

regards...Franco

PS: I am a mountain lover myself, but I truly don't understand what makes flat ugly
flat land is just boring. Miami is flat but without flat land, Miami wouldn't be Miami.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
how is chicago getting TONS?
NY is getting over 5 currently
ok well you know what i meant when i said "TONS". i didnt mean tons but they are getting more new skyscrapers than some other cities are...like LA, sadly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City