U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 9,498,353 times

Advertisements

The interstates all across the US are all pretty boring. Try getting off the interstate from time to time, and you might see that every state in the US has something to offer.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Don't have no plans to go to Texas,Oklahoma,or New Mexico.Just the names of the last two make me think about boring.
True OK is quite boring, but NM is not.

Does this look "boring"?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:38 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,389,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
True OK is quite boring, but NM is not.

Does this look "boring"?
Beautiful picture, but have you seen the beauty of Oklahoma? In both cases, it's not that there isn't beauty to be seen, the problem is the drive. Oklahoma via the Interstate is boring, New Mexico not so much. But both places are full of beauty. And that photo above, it's beautiful but when you drive for 8 hours in blazing sun through endless scenery like that, it can start looking ugly. Beauty is so subjective and it depends a lot on our mood, our goals, what we're paying attention to, and whether we're listening to some good music or the kids are screaming at us "ARE WE THERE YET?"

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,417,177 times
I think I put Arkansas as the worst state. I would like to retract that and replace it with Louisiana. Hot as hades, flat, the water is nasty and polluted, and extremely corrupt. Oh, and hurricanes in the most interesting part of the state.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:08 PM

114 posts, read 359,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Oklahoma. Ugly, cities are nothing special. THere is literally nothing interesting about Oklahoma.
but the cost of living in Oklahoma is said to be the lowest.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 PM

7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Default It depends

I have just read this thread with great interest, and was particularly impressed with some of the pictures of Eastern Oklahoma. I think there are two different ways to look at this thread, first of all, what is the worst state in terms of visiting, or look/feel, which is totally subjective, versus what is the worst state to live in, which is slightly less subjective, particularly when you have websites such as Morgan Quitno bearing out empirical evidence based on pertinent statistics such as education levels, cost of living, employment possibilities, etc. Then there is the intangible, but very pertinent variable about what people are like in each state. I find this to be a very commonly asked question in many of the state threads.

When it comes to which state would be the worst to visit, or take a vacation in, I don't know if there is a concrete answer. For instance, LittleMissSunshine talks about wanting access to ocean or beaches. I lived in New Jersey for over 30 years and could give or take the beach, save for fishing in the ocean. I now live in New Mexico, and find the mountain scenery far more desirable than I ever did the beach. However, I respect LittleMissSunshine's preference for the beach. Many more must feel this way, given the current location of our population in this country. I'd also like to believe that when it comes to scenery, every state will have beautiful, pristine areas. I think we've had our senses dulled by the interstate highway system in this country. Too much of Virginia looks exactly like Nebraska, if you stay on these roads. The best way to experience this country is to have time to do it the right way, and get off these roads. Again, I relate to those pictures of Oklahoma. Who possibly could experience these places properly if one is white knuckling across I-40 at 80 mph? For me, since I like terrain, I'd be inclined to think that states such as Delaware, Southern NJ or Eastern Maryland are very tedious. And I've been off the interstate in all of those states to form what I believe to be a solid opinion.

Now, when it comes what is the worst state to live in, you could site statistics that bear out factors pro and con. If you believe Morgan Quitno, for instance, the best state to live in is Minnesota, and the worst Louisiana. However, here too, one can extract personal tastes and distastes of any given state and assign positive weights. For instance, in this aforementioned comparison, I'd prefer to be in Louisiana in January as opposed to Minnesota, as I have lived through enough winters in the northeast to never want to experience again shoveling snow. Then there is the variable of friendly vs hostile people. For my money, the friendliest states I've been to are a)Michigan above I-94, and b) New York State between Syracuse and Buffalo. In contrast, for the most part, take the I-95 corridor between Washington D.C. and Boston, make a 50 mile buffer out of it, and therein resides some of the most miserable population I've ever been around. (I guess in that sense, I've defined New York as having some of the most friendly and unfriendly people in the country at the same time.) For me, I want to live in a place that has a low cost of living, warm winters, and low population density, plus friendly people. Accordingly, I'd have to say the worst place to live in the country is Northern NJ, specifically, sections of lower Passaic County, just about all of Essex and Union County, as well as portions of Middlesex County. Just to show I am not completely trashing my home state, I have to exempt from my criteria Hunterdon, Sussex, Warren, and Western Morris County. Yes, the winters are horrible, and the cost of living prohibitive, but the people are nicer, and the population density is lower. Eastern Burlington County is also a beautiful place, but a little too flat for my liking.

So, in conclusion, from my post, it seems that you can't typecast an entire state as being a horrible place to live, and certainly not to visit. There are good and bad areas in every state. I was particularly amused at one poster who basically said the entire state of Texas was the worst, when the state is over 255,000 square miles, and basically encapsulates 6 different and distinct geographical regions. Again, I have to re-emphasize, that in order for one to draw logical conclusions, they have to slow down, and get off the interstate highways, which are basically a microcosm of increasing homogenity that this country is drifting towards. It's not a fair barometer to judge any state, with the possible exception of the western states, where east-west roads begin to become more and more scarce as one has to traverse increasing terrain.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:40 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Beautiful picture, but have you seen the beauty of Oklahoma?
Yes, I was in the Arbuckles a few years back, that was lovely. The northern part of the state (minus the far western corner of the panhandle) is drab. Just my opinion...

Old 07-31-2007, 03:42 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,652,972 times
I siad in one of my earlier posts that eastern Colorado is boring,and one of the worst states.I take that back the whole state is boring.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,389,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, I was in the Arbuckles a few years back, that was lovely. The northern part of the state (minus the far western corner of the panhandle) is drab. Just my opinion...
Agreed, the best of Oklahoma is east and central, not north and west. And even the central OK beauty is spotty. You have to take the back roads and sip it through a straw, it's not like driving through the Rockies. Which brings me to this strange post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I siad in one of my earlier posts that eastern Colorado is boring,and one of the worst states.I take that back the whole state is boring.
We need a paramedic to respond to CTownNative, ASAP. The Rockie Mountains are boring?
All I can say in response to that is:

Old 07-31-2007, 04:42 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,652,972 times
To me they are boring.I've siad it before and I'll say it again I like the city,and nature bores me.But Im talking about Colorado as a whole,I don't even like the cities there.For me its one of the worst states.Its just my opinion.For nature the things I like are the Great Lakes and trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City