Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 01:08 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

Where in CA do you live? One of the LA's valleys or the Central Valley? It gets hot in those places.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. The only thing I could never handle would be flat land without an ocean. Pretty much the whole midwest. Florida is okay b/c it has a beach.

Austin is one of the nicest cities in America. San Antonio is nice. Not all of the Texas is desert. El Paso is really the only city in Texas that could be considered a desert. Houston is right on the gulf, Austin and San Antonio are green. Dallas can get quite humid. Pretty much the unpopulated areas of TX are the only desert areas.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:35 AM

30 posts, read 97,066 times
I live in the Central Valley, the least nice place and the flattest place in CA. But fortunately, it's only a couple hours to the closest beach and less than an hour to the closest mountains. It's almost like the midwest where I live except nicer winter weather, less summer humidity, and the ocean is only a few hours away.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:59 AM

109 posts, read 242,922 times
Most midwestern states are EXTREMELY boring. I'm talking about Iowa, Nebraska [whose blue river is actually green], Missouri, all of those out there...

Old 02-24-2008, 09:08 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean283 View Post
Most midwestern states are EXTREMELY boring. I'm talking about Iowa, Nebraska [whose blue river is actually green], Missouri, all of those out there...
Have you ever even spent any time at all in the Midwest?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Have you ever even spent any time at all in the Midwest?

Most people on this forum like to bash places they have never been to or know nothing about based on stereotypes.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
well aware of that, I just cant help the fact that I have to speak up against blatant ignorance, ya know?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 AM

128 posts, read 347,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most people on this forum like to bash places they have never been to or know nothing about based on stereotypes.
AMEN!!! Drives you nuts, I tell ya.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:12 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Wisconsin, as a state, is the worst. There may be some nice people that live in the state but the state stinks.

High property taxes. (Property taxes on $150K house are more than $3500 per year) Gas costs 10-15 cents a gallon more because of taxes... Everything costs more there.

Corrupt government... from the bottom to the top.

Corrupt Police....

Some of the WORST dog laws in the country...

Too many ambulance chasing lawyers... (good luck finding one that will take a case to defend you if you're on the other side)

Move to Wisconsin so Governor Doyle can visit China during budget sessions... what does he care?...

You NEED to drink lots of beer to stay there!
About Wisconsin and the rest of the Midwest. You need to drink lots of beer to stay here, in Wisconsin? Really? I myself, don't drink alcohol. I'm not saying that people here are all anti drinkers, because everyone here seems to enjoy tipping one back. Any ways I heard on this thread that someone said Wisconsin is boring nothing but flat lands and farm fields. We have Devils lake, Wisconsin Dells, Minocqua, Bayfield, Door County, Southeastern lakes. The Apostle Islands, Plus Wisconsin has the highest concentration of inland lakes in the world! Yes its Wisconsin! We have 15,000 some odd registered lakes in the state.

You whine about high property taxes, Wisconsin seems to have a high qaulity of life if you ask me. Yes the taxes may be high...... But you get alot in return for your taxes. We have some of the best K-12 Educational systems in the country. If anyone questions this send me a direct message I will send you the link to the Institute of Education Sciences and U.S. Department of Education.

Boring? Hardly this was taken near my hometown of Portage! (Below)

This is so flat! Devils Lake in the winter. (Below)

My favorite hiking area, Gibraltar Rock in Lodi, Wisconsin. (Below)

Just a view from a lake near our cabin in St. Germain/Minocqua, Wisconsin.
(Below)

To me whether its listening to the Wolves howling in a cool summer night in Northern Wisconsin or staring at the open sky on a sandy beach in Florida. I always seem to think that no matter where you are in America. There is something beautiful there. I think that John Muir, Americas Naturalist who BTW grew up not to far from where I live would agree with me. We live in such a great country. People need to spend less time complaining about what they don't like in a region. They need to get out and breath some fresh air. Drink from that bubbing brook. Get out and explore!!

Last edited by JoshB; 02-24-2008 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Added some information!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:45 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
^^^Nice post

Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
^^^Nice post

Thanks Alphaman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City