U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2008, 05:45 PM

322 posts, read 960,857 times

Advertisements

yep that's true...lol....you see i really don't know my stuff when it comes to agriculture lol... but yeah basically anywhere is better then central california...=)

Old 06-09-2008, 11:34 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,308,836 times
Yes, if it wasn't for other places providing water, the Central Valley wouldn't be as fertile as it is. However, it is the most productive farmland in the country. There is no way CA is the worst state. If you say there are no trees and it is all a dump, then you apparently have never been in the mountains or to the central coast or to NorCal or even to parts of SoCal. Yes there is the Mojave Desert and cities such as Fresno that should not be there but instead should be farmland, but just because you don't like Fresno doesn't mean the whole state is bad. Ever been to Santa Barbara? Pismo Beach? San Luis Obispo? Santa Cruz? Monterey? Morro Bay? Mammoth Lakes? Tahoe? Big Bear? Ojai? Eureka? Yreka? Marin County? Half Moon Bay? Or any place besides Fresno? Please, there are so many places in this large state that are all different from each other that it is pretty much impossible to call it all under one name that people love to hate-California.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:14 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,426,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes, if it wasn't for other places providing water, the Central Valley wouldn't be as fertile as it is. However, it is the most productive farmland in the country. There is no way CA is the worst state. If you say there are no trees and it is all a dump, then you apparently have never been in the mountains or to the central coast or to NorCal or even to parts of SoCal. Yes there is the Mojave Desert and cities such as Fresno that should not be there but instead should be farmland, but just because you don't like Fresno doesn't mean the whole state is bad. Ever been to Santa Barbara? Pismo Beach? San Luis Obispo? Santa Cruz? Monterey? Morro Bay? Mammoth Lakes? Tahoe? Big Bear? Ojai? Eureka? Yreka? Marin County? Half Moon Bay? Or any place besides Fresno? Please, there are so many places in this large state that are all different from each other that it is pretty much impossible to call it all under one name that people love to hate-California.
Also, keep in mind there are beautiful parts in the deserts of CA as well. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Alabama Hills, Anso Borrego. The high deserts can be absolutely stunning, as can the fall colors of the quaking aspens in the Sierra Nevada.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

17 posts, read 51,338 times
Default North Dakota

I based my decision on how many times I hear a state mentioned for interesting or remarkable things. Other than the occasional decent hockey team from the university, I have never heard anyone say the words North Dakota. Has this state ever accomplished anything?

Rank the worst states:

Rank Items (http://www.irankd.com/RankItems.aspx?ListId=617 - broken link)

You can add to the list.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM

2,588 posts, read 4,852,860 times
By far, the worst state is Hawaii, cuz I'm not living there. Unfair!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM

322 posts, read 960,857 times
look dude im aware of the amazing beauty that california has... yeah ive been to most those places..except for the Redwoods and yosemite national park.... lol.. but i mean ok it's more then just scenic beauty that gets me mad about fresno..

have you noticed there's not really much of a city vibe here... it feels like in fresno were living in one huge suburb.. which pretty much it actually is... but i mean fresno compared to the entire east coast.. it's just beyond radically different!!!!! i just really don't like it here... everyone has to have pimped out cars with phat rims... and you know.... the whole state of california... is HYPER MATERIALISTIC!!!!! you have to agree with me on that one.. there's just no Ambiance here and just it feels like fresno is being run by a bunch of gangs ...... not that im not used to it..but i'd rather go somewhere else..where there's actually Promise for me... that's all im saying.. but im glad you pointed out the beauty that california has too.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,843,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
look dude im aware of the amazing beauty that california has... yeah ive been to most those places..except for the Redwoods and yosemite national park.... lol.. but i mean ok it's more then just scenic beauty that gets me mad about fresno..

have you noticed there's not really much of a city vibe here... it feels like in fresno were living in one huge suburb.. which pretty much it actually is... but i mean fresno compared to the entire east coast.. it's just beyond radically different!!!!! i just really don't like it here... everyone has to have pimped out cars with phat rims... and you know.... the whole state of california... is HYPER MATERIALISTIC!!!!! you have to agree with me on that one.. there's just no Ambiance here and just it feels like fresno is being run by a bunch of gangs ...... not that im not used to it..but i'd rather go somewhere else..where there's actually Promise for me... that's all im saying.. but im glad you pointed out the beauty that california has too.
Look on the bright side... Kevin Federline is from Fresno! Look how successful he is!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:19 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,397,399 times
Seriously, for a whole state to qualify as the worst it's pretty hard to pick one on natural beauty or cultural offerings because there's always someplace in the state that appeals to someone so I'm thinking it has to be something that's universally found both in the woods and in the plains, by the water or in the desert, in rural, suburban and urban areas throughout the entire state and that everyone agrees that this particular thing is not something they love. You have to be able to point to Texas as a whole, California, as a whole, Georgia as a whole, Maine, as a whole, etc. and be able to compare them to each other on that universal non-loveable factor.

I'm going to have to go with State Taxes (notice, I didn't say state income taxes, it's all of the state taxes combined). Whoever is paying the most, that's the suckiest state. Otherwise there's something nice to be found somewhere in every state.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbutcher View Post
I based my decision on how many times I hear a state mentioned for interesting or remarkable things. Other than the occasional decent hockey team from the university, I have never heard anyone say the words North Dakota. Has this state ever accomplished anything?

Rank the worst states:

Rank Items (http://www.irankd.com/RankItems.aspx?ListId=617 - broken link)

You can add to the list.
no way! Honestly, don't go by what you hear, go there before you judge. Its one of my favorite states

Old 06-10-2008, 05:29 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,308,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post

I do agree that many CA residents are materialistic, but that doesn't mean everyone is. And there are plenty of other places such as Miami, NYC, and Boston that are similar. NYC may not have the materialistic large suburban homes and big flashy cars, but they are materialistic in their own ways with how they dress and the jewelry, etc. Miami, and technically most of FL, could also be classified as materialistic.

I also agree that Fresno is an overgrown suburb with no identity of a downtown, but that does not represent a whole state. Even if you don't like LA like 90% of people on this board, there is still San Diego and the Bay Area which are two cities that almost everyone on here DOES like, and I'm sure you have to like at least one, or maybe all three, of those cities. Fresno definitely is not representative of our whole beautiful state. Sadly, I would have to say LA is. I mean I love this city, but it's sad that when people say they hate CA, it's because they only know about LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.