U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 10:12 AM

5,640 posts, read 13,593,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
I would have to say Massachusetts. The people there are so self-righteous and they all think that they are better than YOU even though their state is boring and ugly.
MA boring and ugly?? Have you been there? Cape Cod, Boston, the Berkshires, Martha's Vineyrd, Nantucket: would be assets to any state!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
MA boring and ugly?? Have you been there? Cape Cod, Boston, the Berkshires, Martha's Vineyrd, Nantucket: would be assets to any state!
Fortunate enough to have visited all of the above,,they were wonderful

Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ah, gotcha. Theres good food everywhere, you just have to find it. Same goes for every state.

As for your experiences regarding terrain, Id have to agree that alot of the midwest is agricultural, lots of corn, soy, wheat, etc. The midwest also has wonderful terrain, most of it is hidden, it really is. Here are some shots of Illinois that Ive taken. Im 30 years old, and Im just finally gettin out and exploring the state, there is really ALOT to see, and Im enjoying every minute of it. I used to sit and complain about the state when I was younger because it didnt have any mountains. LOL Now I see that it doesnt need to have mountains to be beautiful. Its a peaceful state full of hidden gems.

]
Nice shots, Steve-o! Looks like you were up in the NW corner around Galena (they don't call me Ben Around for nuthin'). I was just driving thru there 3 weeks ago. Crossed the bridge at East Dubuque and headed west on US 20, bound for Rockford. Got off the highway and took paralell roads thru downtown Galena, and around Freeport and into Rockford. Unfortunately, Rockford's a dump. You can see remnants of a once thriving, attratctive city, but it is so far gone. They've basically moved the whole town over to a bleak sprawl next to I-90 and the Tollway. Yuck! But aside from Rockford, that whole area is full of the "hidden gems" like you've captured on camera.

Another part of your state I find attractive is Southern IL, from Carbondale on down to Cairo. Have been thru there on the main highways, but want to explore it more. This fall I am taking a road trip to FL to see my mother and am planning a route through S. IL that will get me back into those woods and hills! IL's a great state!

PS: I also like the part of your state the locals used to call "Forgotonia", the west central part of the state around Quincy. Went thru there on the 2 lanes on my last trip to FL.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM

I'm really having a hard time with this question. I've been to 49 states and lived in 5 of 'em and I really can't come up with a "worst". I disliked living in FL when I was growing up and would never want to live there again, but there are lots of great areas, things to do and good people there. States that I used to dismiss as "fly-over land" I have come to appreciate through spending time and exploring them.

Some of the comments people are making seem like they are based on stereotypes and predjudices, or they have very limited ideas about what places are "good" or "bad". I wonder how much time (if any) they have spent in the states they bash?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,294,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
And New Jersey because it is filled with italian wannabe gangsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
New Jersey: Everyone there hates me.
I'm in NJ, SWB, and I don't hate you. OH, and apparently, you betta listen to me, cuz' I'm an Eye-talian wannabe gangster.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Nice shots, Steve-o! Looks like you were up in the NW corner around Galena (they don't call me Ben Around for nuthin'). I was just driving thru there 3 weeks ago. Crossed the bridge at East Dubuque and headed west on US 20, bound for Rockford. Got off the highway and took paralell roads thru downtown Galena, and around Freeport and into Rockford. Unfortunately, Rockford's a dump. You can see remnants of a once thriving, attratctive city, but it is so far gone. They've basically moved the whole town over to a bleak sprawl next to I-90 and the Tollway. Yuck! But aside from Rockford, that whole area is full of the "hidden gems" like you've captured on camera.

Another part of your state I find attractive is Southern IL, from Carbondale on down to Cairo. Have been thru there on the main highways, but want to explore it more. This fall I am taking a road trip to FL to see my mother and am planning a route through S. IL that will get me back into those woods and hills! IL's a great state!

PS: I also like the part of your state the locals used to call "Forgotonia", the west central part of the state around Quincy. Went thru there on the 2 lanes on my last trip to FL.

Thanks! Yep, some of those photos were taken up near Galena. Some of the other pics were taken at Starved Rock State Park, Matthiessen State Park, etc. Great areas to see waterfalls and cool canyons.

As for Rockford, yeah its pretty bleak. There are lots of new developments on the east and north sides of town, some are quite nice. Therye doing what they can to fix the place, and I like what I see so far. Plus the Blackhawks have relocted their AHL team to Rockford from Norfolk, VA to the Metro Centre, which is nice. The town has a semi-decent future, Im curious to see how it develops.

As for southern IL, make sure you visit the Shawnee National Forest and the Garden of the Gods State Park, both are lovely. There are also the Indian burial grounds there, I forget their name at the moment. I believe theyre the biggest in the USA. Oh, its the Cahokia Mounds, I just remembered.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:18 AM

369 posts, read 1,469,331 times
It seems like everyones been fussing at me cause I called Massachusetts ugly and boring...I stand by my judgement. But it's strange that no one so far has disagreed with me about the people's attitudes lol.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
No fussin,its got its yucky parts like all states do,and gotta love the accent-- pawk the caah in the yahd--love it

Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM

1,964 posts, read 5,651,976 times
"But it's strange that no one so far has disagreed with me about the people's attitudes lol."

I wholeheartedly disagree. I loved the people I met in Boston. They are upfront and honest. Very refreshing compared to the South.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,374,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
No, actually that place seems to be a great place to hang out and do sports like hiking or riding your bike. and Its also better in person. and thats in North Dakota, far north of AZ or NM

Well, I don't hike...and I prefer to ride my bike at the beach...the sand is that compact on the East Coast of Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City