Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
Philadelphia 102 46.58%
Boston 117 53.42%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

None of the skyline pictures of Philadelphia have done it any justice yet.

Here is a good one that gets the FULL SKYLINE:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 08:36 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,663 times
Boston! Philly sux

Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
None of the skyline pictures of Philadelphia have done it any justice yet.

Here is a good one that gets the FULL SKYLINE:
Great shot. Developers have been talking about building up along the Schuylkill River to form a "skyscraper canyon" (similar to Chicago's) once the economy picks back up. That would fill in the left part of the pic between Center City and Cira Center (the bright building all the way on the left).

Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 9,868 times
Are these 2 cities even comparable really? Boston should be compared to a city like Baltimore, right? Bos 400,000 and Balt 550,000 residents.

Philadelphia has 1.6 million residents. And this is just in the city limits. Shouldn't it be compared more to Houston or Dallas or Phoenix. Clearly with 1.6 million people you are going to have MORE problems, MORE restaurants, Higher GDP, MORE jobs.

But now that I'm done with my opinion on that, I think Boston is a very nice looking city but is missing some diversity. Every time I go there, it is white, red brick, and you never really see the cultural diversity.

Boston has Harvard. Philly has U Penn. Both Ivy League. Boston retains its college graduates better than Philly.

Philly is located better to get around the region. NYC is 80 miles. Baltimore 80 miles. DC 110 miles. Jersey Shore 40 miles. Poconos and snow skiing 50 miles. When you are in Boston, thats it. You get Boston and the Cape.

Boston is very gentrified and public transportation is great.

Philadelphia is funky and raw in its image, hipsters and doctors, students and thugs, Blue collar and Corporate, all share the same streets. Public transportation is great.

The city of Philadelphia is plagued with Police Department problems and Corruption as if it is still stuck in a 1988 period of distrust.

If you want White, gentrified, starbucks, then get to Boston.

If you want funky, odd, inexpensive, and edgy with no attempt at trying, then you need Philly. Center City has over 100,000 residents and really carries its own. The only thing you ever hear about Philadelphia PA is BAD news. People move to Philly uncertain of how it will be, and they leave Philly for other places only to hear them say, "well this place isn't as cool as Philly".

There is nothing pretentious about Philly at all. Boston holds onto an elevated idea of intelligence because it is grounded by Harvard. But you are going to see people keep it VERY real in Philly.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycjr View Post
Are these 2 cities even comparable really? Boston should be compared to a city like Baltimore, right? Bos 400,000 and Balt 550,000 residents.

Philadelphia has 1.6 million residents. And this is just in the city limits. Shouldn't it be compared more to Houston or Dallas or Phoenix. Clearly with 1.6 million people you are going to have MORE problems, MORE restaurants, Higher GDP, MORE jobs.

But now that I'm done with my opinion on that, I think Boston is a very nice looking city but is missing some diversity. Every time I go there, it is white, red brick, and you never really see the cultural diversity.

Boston has Harvard. Philly has U Penn. Both Ivy League. Boston retains its college graduates better than Philly.

Philly is located better to get around the region. NYC is 80 miles. Baltimore 80 miles. DC 110 miles. Jersey Shore 40 miles. Poconos and snow skiing 50 miles. When you are in Boston, thats it. You get Boston and the Cape.

Philadelphia is funky and raw in its image, hipsters and doctors, students and thugs, Blue collar and Corporate, all share the same streets. Public transportation is great.

The city of Philadelphia is plagued with Police Department problems and Corruption as if it is still stuck in a 1988 period of distrust.

If you want funky, odd, inexpensive, and edgy with no attempt at trying, then you need Philly. Center City has over 100,000 residents and really carries its own. The only thing you ever hear about Philadelphia PA is BAD news. People move to Philly uncertain of how it will be, and they leave Philly for other places only to hear them say, "well this place isn't as cool as Philly".

There is nothing pretentious about Philly at all. Boston holds onto an elevated idea of intelligence because it is grounded by Harvard. But you are going to see people keep it VERY real in Philly.
Baltimore has about 635k residents.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Baltimore has about 635k residents.
And Boston has about 645,000 haha...I don't know what to think about this guy...sort of an odd post.

I think the most insulting is associating Boston with Starbucks! This is a Dunkin Donuts town buddy. They're more common than fire hydrants here.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
And Boston has about 645,000 haha...I don't know what to think about this guy...sort of an odd post.

I think the most insulting is associating Boston with Starbucks! This is a Dunkin Donuts town buddy. They're more common than fire hydrants here.
i think boston is around 620k

Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

Boston as a city is more on the scale of Philly, the developed urban space is very similar with Baltimore a little smaller, all three have similarities though, probably based on the timing of development etc.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:36 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycjr View Post

very accurate discription

Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Nope. US Gensus estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/SUB-EST2009.html - broken link) have it at 645,169. Baltimore at 637,418.

If you check the data, I recommend looking at the Excel file...the CSV is a bit messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City