Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
Philadelphia 102 46.58%
Boston 117 53.42%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:22 PM

36,933 posts, read 38,909,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Well going by CSA's is sort of an unfair way to look at it, considering Boston's CSA land area is much larger than Philly's CSA land area (conequently Boston's CSA also a higher population)
Though it should be stated that the vast majority of the Asian population of both seem to be concentrated closer to the core than way out on the borders of the CSA. The central core area of Greater Boston (Boston and communities adjacent to Boston) definitely feels pretty diverse to me in a way that Philly's core seemed less so. I think this has to do with the huge foreign population that the schools in the Boston core draw in, many of whom choose to stay after graduation. And while Philly has a larger split among races, it really seemed to be split amongst mostly white and black americans with less foreign born populations within both categories. It simply didn't feel as "international" of a city as Boston does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,172,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Though it should be stated that the vast majority of the Asian population of both seem to be concentrated closer to the core than way out on the borders of the CSA. The central core area of Greater Boston (Boston and communities adjacent to Boston) definitely feels pretty diverse to me in a way that Philly's core seemed less so. I think this has to do with the huge foreign population that the schools in the Boston core draw in, many of whom choose to stay after graduation. And while Philly has a larger split among races, it really seemed to be split amongst mostly white and black americans with less foreign born populations within both categories. It simply didn't feel as "international" of a city as Boston does.
Hey to sum it all up thats your opinion, a totally subjective post.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:05 PM

31,933 posts, read 34,438,260 times
Quote:
And while Philly has a larger split among races, it really seemed to be split amongst mostly white and black americans with less foreign born populations within both categories. It simply didn't feel as "international" of a city as Boston does.
I think you're right about that. Philly is sort of the last of a dying breed of American cities; it's very "old school." I think it probably provides the best example of what much of New York City looked like 40 years ago.

http://www.treehugger.com/philadelphia-electric-powered-tram-photo (broken link)

http://s3.images.com/huge.83.419798.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-27-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:19 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,403,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think you're right about that. Philly is sort of the last of a dying breed of American cities; it's very "old school." I think it probably provides the best example of what much of New York City looked like 40 years ago.

Why aren't the kids in the second picture not beating, spitting, and vomiting on the other kid wearing the Cowboys t-shirt?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why aren't the kids in the second picture not beating, spitting, and vomiting on the other kid wearing the Cowboys t-shirt?
Haha. You know, I started to take that pic down after closer inspection. Unfortunately, there were (and still are) quite a few Cowgirl fans living in the Delaware Valley Region.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Hey to sum it all up thats your opinion, a totally subjective post.
No, actually. The foreign-born population of Boston's core areas is actually more diverse. I don't see why you would simply say that's subjective. Coming from an entirely different cultural heritage (or even having a different language as a mother tongue) is actually inherent more diverse as its more divergent from American culture. There's certainly some regionalism and cultural groups in US, but it's relative similarities are much closer than what similarities it might have with cultures from abroad.

That being said, I'd prefer living in Philly than living in Boston. I like Philly a lot.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
No, actually. The foreign-born population of Boston's core areas is actually more diverse. I don't see why you would simply say that's subjective. Coming from an entirely different cultural heritage (or even having a different language as a mother tongue) is actually inherent more diverse as its more divergent from American culture. There's certainly some regionalism and cultural groups in US, but it's relative similarities are much closer than what similarities it might have with cultures from abroad.

That being said, I'd prefer living in Philly than living in Boston. I like Philly a lot.
If anything, I prefer Philly because the politics, while corrupt, are not as one-sided as they are in Boston. I believe that every Boston mayor in the last 100 years, with the exception of Menino, has been Irish-Catholic. I'm not sure if the Fire Department and Police Department have ever had non-white commissioners, but I seriously doubt it. In NYC and Philly, it seems that we'll have a Jewish mayor one term, a black mayor another, an Italian mayor another, or an Irish mayor a different term. It would be even better if we elected a Hispanic or Asian mayor. But in Boston, the Irish-Catholic machine dominates everything. I'd rather live in a place where political power is shared more equitably, and preferably a place where the minority population doesn't feel so marginalized.

List of mayors of Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...f_Philadelphia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._New_York_City

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-27-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

818 posts, read 1,381,127 times
Quote:
Well going by CSA's is sort of an unfair way to look at it, considering Boston's CSA land area is much larger than Philly's CSA land area (conequently Boston's CSA also having a higher population)
IMO I voted for Philly, I love that town and would be the first place I would live if leaving NYC.

But I think this is not fair to call out Boston for more land area, IMO its not that drastically different.
Boston CSA- 4,674 sq. mi Greater Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Philly CSA- 5,118 sq. mi Delaware Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both some of the best cities the country has to offer, and nothing really beats the urban Northeast corridor. Pick either one and you can get the same things in both, IMO

Old 01-27-2011, 04:06 PM

This is why I don't particularly care for Boston. As the lady in the second article says, "No matter how bad things get for Blacks down South, at least we don't live in Boston."

Resources: Database: "Divided We Stand. Is Boston Racist?" Boston Magazine (November 2002)

At 100, Boston NAACP Confronts City’s Mixed Past | WBUR

Old 01-27-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If anything, I prefer Philly because the politics, while corrupt, are not as one-sided as they are in Boston. I believe that every Boston mayor in the last 100 years, with the exception of Menino, has been Irish-Catholic. I'm not sure if the Fire Department and Police Department have ever had non-white commissioners, but I seriously doubt it. In NYC and Philly, it seems that we'll have a Jewish mayor one term, a black mayor another, an Italian mayor another, or an Irish mayor a different term. It would be even better if we elected a Hispanic or Asian mayor. But in Boston, the Irish-Catholic machine dominates everything. I'd rather live in a place where political power is shared more equitably, and preferably a place where the minority population doesn't feel so marginalized.

List of mayors of Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of mayors of Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of mayors of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't think I'd care if they were mostly Irish-Catholics (especially given how large the population of Irish-Catholics has historically been, so the probability even at random would make that likely)--I just want them to be good at what they do. Corruption is corruption, and that is balls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City