Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No i just wasnt shot in Miami
With that said, you should be shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayHarborButcher View Post
Miami Beach is full of arrogant, unfriendly people. We've moved here from Chicago (because of the weather) and regret it. The people here are not only disgusting, but self loathing *******s. I'm a very friendly person and have tried to make new friends but everyone is so stuck on themselves you can't even say, "hello" to them without them looking at you like you have a flesh eating disease.

I've never been so unhappy in my entire life. I though South Beach was going to be fun, friendly and pleasant because of the lovely weather but I swear to god, I'd rather be locked in jail than to live in Miami Beach again.

The people who say "Miami is diverse" apparently haven't lived here. Most people here are South Americans. There's no diversity here. Diversity would be New York, Chicago... This place sucks and if I had the option to die or be stuck on this god forsaken island, I'd take the first.
I dont know what to tell you. I have lots of friends and so do everyone else I know. Maybe try finding some other people. Or move if your unhappy. As for your diversity statement that is just stupid. Yes your right most people are South Americans but that makes it diverse. You obviously know nothing about diversity or about cultures of the world. You think Cubans and Colombians are the same people? With the same food and history? Just because they speak the same language does not make them the same. That is like saying people from England, New Zealand and the US are the same so having those people all living in a small room does not make that room diverse. Also you need to get out more. Miami has a huge Haitian population, French, Russian, Italian, Brazilian etc..

Miami by a mile. New Orleans is a great place to visit but the city is still not doing too well. Miami just has more to offer then New Orleans naturally being a much larger city. New Orleans should be compared with a city like Austin or Oklahoma City. Not Miami.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Miami by a mile. New Orleans is a great place to visit but the city is still not doing too well. Miami just has more to offer then New Orleans naturally being a much larger city. New Orleans should be compared with a city like Austin or Oklahoma City. Not Miami.
Why are so many people under the impression that New Orleans isn't livable?
The bold section is the most famous line regarding New Orleans on this site.

The thing is, is NOLA can hang with Miami and other much larger cities, Austin is also a good comparison, but OKC cannot compare to New Orleans...

Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,349 times
NOLA is cool to visit for a few days, but then gets old. The city and metro aren't that big. Miami itself is small, but a lot of the cool things are in the cities/suburbs surrounding Miami. Like Miami Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood are all independent cities separate from the city of Miami.

NOLA doesn't seem to have a lot of available jobs either, particularly in the white collar industries or blue collar trades. Miami has a more diversified economy.

Miami is pretty diverse. Obviously a huge amount of the population is Hispanic, but break that down among Cubans, Brazilians, Venezuelans, Colombians, Dominicans. There are plenty of African Americans, many of whom are from Latin America (Haiti). Among the white population, you have a lot of Russian immigrants, lots of Jews from the NE and a considerable amount of Italians from the NE. NOLA seems to be split between Black and Southern White with a mix of Cajun.

South Beach is like the West Hollywood of Miami. Lots of $40K millionaires side by side with real millionaires so people complain that women don't like them if they aren't an actual millionaire. But in NOLA, things just seem very down home like, which is not my cup of tea.

I would put NOLA more on the Austin level, not Miami. In terms of cuisine, NOLA has good food. I would describe it as NOLA/Louisiana food (Cajun, Creole mix like jambalaya and gumbo). There isn't much else that is good though. Miami has a far more diverse culinary scene at both the high and low ends. Nightlife is much more massive in Miami on average, obviously Bourbon Street can hold its own, but Miami has a lot more to offer.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

I would put NOLA more on the Austin level, not Miami. In terms of cuisine, NOLA has good food. I would describe it as NOLA/Louisiana food (Cajun, Creole mix like jambalaya and gumbo). There isn't much else that is good though. Miami has a far more diverse culinary scene at both the high and low ends. Nightlife is much more massive in Miami on average, obviously Bourbon Street can hold its own, but Miami has a lot more to offer.
More misconceptions. Cajun food isn't found in New Orleans as easily as Creole, and the Cajun culture is 100 miles west. As far as the diverse food, nothing really impresses me as I can get that in any large city. Also, Creole food encompasses many styles of what make Miami.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
More misconceptions. Cajun food isn't found in New Orleans as easily as Creole, and the Cajun culture is 100 miles west. As far as the diverse food, nothing really impresses me as I can get that in any large city. Also, Creole food encompasses many styles of what make Miami.
It's not a misconception if it's not apparent.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayHarborButcher View Post
Miami Beach is full of arrogant, unfriendly people. We've moved here from Chicago (because of the weather) and regret it. The people here are not only disgusting, but self loathing *******s. I'm a very friendly person and have tried to make new friends but everyone is so stuck on themselves you can't even say, "hello" to them without them looking at you like you have a flesh eating disease.

I've never been so unhappy in my entire life. I though South Beach was going to be fun, friendly and pleasant because of the lovely weather but I swear to god, I'd rather be locked in jail than to live in Miami Beach again.

The people who say "Miami is diverse" apparently haven't lived here. Most people here are South Americans. There's no diversity here. Diversity would be New York, Chicago... This place sucks and if I had the option to die or be stuck on this god forsaken island, I'd take the first.

Pros: There are a lot of pretty people here
Cons: 99.9% of them are REAL *******s.
Talk about overreacting! Miami does have those characteristics and much more than most U.S. cities. However, it's not that bad. I mean seriously what do you expect out of Miami Beach? It's like moving to Hollywood or Beverly Hills and expecting the people there not to be materialistic, arrogant, etc.

There are other parts of the city where you will find more down to earth and unmaterialistic people. Yes, Miami is one of the most materialistic cities in the country, but out of the millions of people that live there only a fraction really is like that.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Its pretty apparent. Everyone thinks New Orleans is Cajun country though, thanks to tourists.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
It's only unapparent to the uniformed. The city has never advertised itself as such..

Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Its pretty apparent. Everyone thinks New Orleans is Cajun country though, thanks to tourists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
It's only unapparent to the uniformed. The city has never advertised itself as such..
I'm not talking about Cajun food. I'm talking about how there is a dearth of other types of food that are apparent to people who visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City