Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Average of 90, so sometimes it can get to 95 in the summer. Their lows are around 80. Not exactly cooling off at the end of the day. If they mentioned places like Colorado, Maine, and Vermont, they most certainly aren't looking for the southernmost point in the US.

Key West weather & climate - Florida Keys weather

Maine's highs in summer are in the mid/upper 70s, lows in the mid 50s:
Maine Weather Forecasts WX Temperatures ME Average Temperatures ME Weather Information (http://www.meliving.com/weather/temperatures.shtml - broken link)
I've been to Key West many times during the summer, and each time I just about died.
Maine would be my choice for the summer, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Im not saying Florida is cool, and it is not saying its the right place for ctr88's summer home. I disagree with you saying the Florida keys are one of the hottest places in the country because that is certainly NOT true. If you look at record highs for Key West and Portland Maine, you with see it has reached the 100s in Maine with 95 being a record high for the Keys. Have you ever been the the Keys?

USA TODAY Latest news
Travelers guide to climate

You do realize that the OP seems to be looking for cooler, lower humidity type of locations. Key West is one of the most humid places, not to mention hot. Even the other posters agree. My parents don't live far from the keys and right on the gulf, and it's still brutally hot during the summer. I don't know why you guys sometimes can't understand that not everyone wants to be in the heat. I also don't understand the logic at all with recommending the keys when the OP clearly says they want somewhere like Colorado, Maine, or Vermont.

Anyway, let them decide for themselves, I've posted enough in here.

Last edited by Rachael84; 01-28-2010 at 12:54 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Beginning 2010:

Summer Sitka, Alaska

Winter Phoenix Metro Area

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
Summer- Most towns along the hudson River in upstate NY (preferably Beacon, NY)
Winter- I like the winter, so I'd want somewhere cold, with a little snow.. I guess I'd go with Cape May, NJ.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
True that on a typical summer day, Miami or Key West are not nearly as hot as much of the nation. But that doesn't mean they are cool either esp when you factor in the humidity readings & very warm nights. One has to go north or up in elevation to have cool summers. San Francisco probably has the coolest summers of any major US city because of the fog & cool wind off the Pacific ocean. Probably too cool for many people. I think upper Michigan over to New England would have some of the most comfortable summers. Also the Rocky Mt. states & Northwest. But from NYC on south it can be very uncomfortable. Same with Chicago into the South; way too humid & way to hot for comfort. The Southwest is also pretty brutal during summer though a lot less humid.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You do realize that the OP seems to be looking for cooler, lower humidity type of locations. Key West is one of the most humid places, not to mention hot. Even the other posters agree. My parents don't live far from the keys and right on the gulf, and it's still brutally hot during the summer. I don't know why you guys sometimes can't understand that not everyone wants to be in the heat. I also don't understand the logic at all with recommending the keys when the OP clearly says they want somewhere like Colorado, Maine, or Vermont.
So you have never been to the keys. Naples is not the keys. Its on the mainland and they don't have the same average temps, or humidity.

Heres the almanac for Ft Myers FL, Close to Naples and has a more similar climate to Naples than the Keys do. Its obviously hot. Hotter than the keys.
USA TODAY Latest news

Let me say again. I am not saying the keys are a great summer home if your looking for somewhere cool. I am setting your earlier comment straight. The keys are not hot like the rest of the state or even the rest of the south. Certainly not one of the hottest places in the country, and niether is Hawaii. Mild, yes, "Brutally hot" no.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default I have been to the Keys in July

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
So you have never been to the keys. Naples is not the keys. Its on the mainland and they don't have the same average temps, or humidity.

Heres the almanac for Ft Myers FL, Close to Naples and has a more similar climate to Naples than the Keys do. Its obviously hot. Hotter than the keys.
USA TODAY Latest news

Let me say again. I am not saying the keys are a great summer home if your looking for somewhere cool. I am setting your earlier comment straight. The keys are not hot like the rest of the state or even the rest of the south. Certainly not one of the hottest places in the country, and niether is Hawaii. Mild, yes, "Brutally hot" no.
It was brutally HOT, not less than Naples. The only difference was there was more of a breeze. HOT breeze.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:04 PM

184 posts, read 571,217 times
Summertime Chicago
Winter...Miami

Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It was brutally HOT, not less than Naples. The only difference was there was more of a breeze. HOT breeze.
Everything is hot to you. I don't understand how you could live in Florida for so long and not be use to the heat yet.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:54 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,451,005 times
I have to go with Colorado on both. Not too cold in the winter yet we get snow and not to hot in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City