U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Reputation: 206

Advertisements

In favor of not overloading this thread:

Houston ---- Monster - SkyscraperPage Forum

Houston in 57 pictures - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2007, 09:42 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Here's the reason why. Because the majority of Houston is suburban.
No. The majority of the Houston metro is suburban. The majority of the city itself is either urban or just spaced out country

Quote:
And most of the pictures you will see of Houston will remind people from urban cities like San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Boston as a suburb.
...and huh???

Quote:
Also, it's just like Dallas because Dallas is built the same way Houston is just with zoning. Everything is focused around the car. Dallas has a Montrose. It's called Oak Lawn. Very artsy and interesting neighborhood north of Downtown.
Chicago has a Fifth Avenue, it's called Michigan Avenue. Atlanta has a Main, it's called Peachtree Street. And there are makeshift Rodeo Drives all over this country. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
No. The majority of the Houston metro is suburban. The majority of the city itself is either urban or just spaced out country
No, it's not. The majority of the CITY's density level rivals that of Schaumburg( Chicago suburb). There are suburbs that have a larger density level than that of Houston. And Houston lives by the car. Numerous amounts of stripmalls and malls inside the city limits. Not exactly a pedestrian city either. The moment you leave Houston, you will be in what many people outside Texas would call, a suburban environment. There is nothing wrong with that. Just the way Houston is because of the era it was built in. They have urban pockets but not nearly enough to call it a supremely urban city like the old midwestern and northeastern cities.

Quote:
and huh???
What I mean was, if you get people from those other cities to visit Houston, they would call it a giant suburb like they do LA. The problem calling LA that moniker is that it is the density metropolitan area in the country. Houston is not even close to being as dense. I showed a friend of mine in Chicago some homes in the city of Houston, and she thought that was a pretty suburb. I told her that's the city of Houston.

Quote:
What's your point?
That Houston and Dallas are not that different. That's the point. They may look different. But built wise they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Reputation: 206
Pretty much all of the sunbelt cities are suburban. They all have their urban pockets, but they are real suburban. Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, all of the mid-sized cities like Austin, Charlotte, etc. They are all suburban in nature.

You also have to remember that a lot of Houston city limits isn't developed. Houston expanded its city limits before being surrounded by suburbs like rust belt cities. This gives the city room to expand its tax base. A lot of Houston feels rural. I would rather have this and low density numbers, than a declining city limit population like Chicago, Detroit, or St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,609,294 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, it's not. The majority of the CITY's density level rivals that of Schaumburg( Chicago suburb). There are suburbs that have a larger density level than that of Houston. And Houston lives by the car. Numerous amounts of stripmalls and malls inside the city limits. Not exactly a pedestrian city either. The moment you leave Houston, you will be in what many people outside Texas would call, a suburban environment. There is nothing wrong with that. Just the way Houston is because of the era it was built in. They have urban pockets but not nearly enough to call it a supremely urban city like the old midwestern and northeastern cities.
I think the word you're looking for is dense. Not urban. There's a difference. Houston is just southern style urban.


Quote:
What I mean was, if you get people from those other cities to visit Houston, they would call it a giant suburb like they do LA.
My mother is from Brooklyn and she now lives in Houston with me. Not once has she ever mentioned or complained about Houston being a big suburb. She finds it just as urbane as her home neighborhood. It's in the attitudes, not the buildings; furthermore, unless you can round up the millions in the northeast to support your claim, I'm going to have to say that "their" opinion is really your opinion.

Quote:
Houston is not even close to being as dense. I showed a friend of mine in Chicago some homes in the city of Houston, and she thought that was a pretty suburb. I told her that's the city of Houston.
There are areas of Houston that are pretty dense and crowded, and there are neighborhoods in Southside Chicago that are very suburban looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,222,559 times
Reputation: 1940
I have to agree with mpope409 on this one. To say that a city is suburban is like saying white is black. Dense seems to be the word you're looking for. The sunbelt cities are built differently; they are not the walkable imitation Euro-cities like those in the North and Midwest. Doesn't mean they're suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Everywhere
1,920 posts, read 2,169,138 times
Reputation: 346
Here is the answer. Move to Portland. Houston could not be a bigger mistake. Move to Vancouver wa and work in Portland. Vancouver is much cheaper than Portland, and its just over the river. Over 100,000 washington residents drive over the bridge every day to get to work in Portland. Get the best of both worlds. Buy your stuff in Portland, No sales tax. If your real lucky, work in Vancouver, with no income tax. I sold my house for 215,000 in Vancouver. Same house would go for 295-325 in Portland. Houston is Very hot and humid. I live in Austin. I find it strange that you would not want to come here, but each to thier own I guess. Who cares about any traffic you see in portland, its so damn pretty. I used to be driving home to vancouver. My when traffic was tough, I would gaze out at Mt Saint Hellens. So Awesome. My sister is moving to Houston and dreading it. She used to live there, but her hubby got fired and has to move there for a job. I would rather go almost anywhee else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 AM
 
4,721 posts, read 13,614,064 times
Reputation: 4685
I remember the strange zoning (or lack of it) in Houston.I have never seen so many "livexxxgirlsgirlsgirlslive" places in my life,,and the zoning was so that they could put them in houses in neighborhoods in the city.I hope that has changed.I have to agree with the other posters,enjoyed the marguiretas and nice neighbors,but I couldnt move back there no way no how..Whew,never had such heat and humidity for such long periods,,some people like that though.Someone also called it "green",,I remember so much brown from the heat all the time.I am glad people love it.There is a place for everyone in the USA,and glad y'all found yours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,446,221 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Here is the answer. Move to Portland. Houston could not be a bigger mistake. Move to Vancouver wa and work in Portland. Vancouver is much cheaper than Portland, and its just over the river. Over 100,000 washington residents drive over the bridge every day to get to work in Portland. Get the best of both worlds. Buy your stuff in Portland, No sales tax. If your real lucky, work in Vancouver, with no income tax. I sold my house for 215,000 in Vancouver. Same house would go for 295-325 in Portland. Houston is Very hot and humid. I live in Austin. I find it strange that you would not want to come here, but each to thier own I guess. Who cares about any traffic you see in portland, its so damn pretty. I used to be driving home to vancouver. My when traffic was tough, I would gaze out at Mt Saint Hellens. So Awesome. My sister is moving to Houston and dreading it. She used to live there, but her hubby got fired and has to move there for a job. I would rather go almost anywhee else.
Your opinion. Focused on only the negatives for one city and only positives for the other. You basically said Houston was hot and humid, so it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 12:35 PM
 
Location: VA
786 posts, read 4,228,082 times
Reputation: 1071
Default Houston...lots of concrete

The drive from the Intercontinental Airport to Galveston is 80 miles and it is one strip center and taco bell strip for as long as the eye can see. Houston has more shopping centers and very few trees. It is also mostly Black and Hispanic. It is as far from Portland as you can get!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top