Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:44 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times

Advertisements

It rains but it is nothing like Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:47 PM

832 posts, read 3,852,602 times
Not avoiding the rain. It rains. Sometimes hard. Lightening and thunder. However, it is not the uber depressing overcast of Portland/Seattle. I also think the wather in Portland can be dramatic.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
It rains, but not very often, I don't think. When it rains, it may rain for just a little while, or in certain areas of town. It's neat when it starts raining while you're driving then you pass under the rain cloud within five minutes and it's not raining anymore! On the rare occasion it rains and keeps raining for hours, or an entire day or so, that's when the flooding starts. It's raining in sheets and people are still driving like the freeways are bone-dry, when actually you can't see one foot in front of you! That can suck because there's usually a casualty or two when that happens. People who drive right into a flooded area under an underpass or something and never saw it coming till it was too late. This mostly depends on weather conditions in the Gulf and is more likely to happen during hurricane season (June-November). I stick to surface streets when it's raining like that. Not an option for everyone (commuters) unfortunately.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Thats kind of hard to believe, you have been to every nightclub in NY and chicago?
I must have given you the impression that I was willing to discuss it.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
It rains but it is nothing like Portland.
Portland only gets 36 inches a year. Dallas gets 34, I think NY gets 38. Its the overcast that drives people out.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:48 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I must have given you the impression that I was willing to discuss it.
So have you?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Basically, Houston is suburban in nature.
Who is the arbiter of all things urban? What definition of suburban and urban are we using? That may be where the confusion lies. I have seen these threads on HAIF, SSP, and SSC, and there is no consensus. I still disagree that sunbelt cities are not urban. Just because people from Northeastern cities say cities that sprawl are not urban doesn't make it so. Do they say that because people live out instead of up? All the houses in the city center are not single-family homes, even if they do appear that way. The definition of urban I'm working with comes from the dictionary. Besides Houston is a young city. It doesn't have the extra hundred year headstart cities like NYC have had. It is still growing and changing. I just don't hold the view that car-oriented equals suburban. That word has a whole other connotation for me. You can call it car-oriented and low-density and on that we can agree. Regardless, I think the expansion of the rail will help immensely.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Potland? Either you're pronouncing Portland, Maine like a New Englander, you're talking about Amsterdam where da weed be free, or you mean Portland, Oregon...which is it?...lol j/k I know which one it is.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:56 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Supernova7 you need to just get yo butt to Portland and see what you're missing. In my honest opinion I would take Portland weather over Houston's any day. When I first set foot in Portland I was blown away by its beauty, its cosmopolitan flair, its downtown which by the way is in no way suburban. It's dense, pedestrian friendly, bike friendly with breathtaking beauty. Public transportation is top notch. If you survived winters in Chicago, New York, then Portland is a piece of cake. I have traveled the world and probably been to every major city in North America and Portland is probably the most underrated imo and one of my favorites. I do love Houston. I've been there many times but I would definately check out Portland.

http://www.teridanielsbooks.com/States/Oregon/Portland,%20Oregon,%20downtown,%20trolley.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ohsu.edu/behneuro/images/resources/city1big.jpg (broken link)

These next 7 beautiful images of Portland are courtesy of
portland ground: Portland Oregon Pictures - Fresh Images Daily - A Virtual Tour of Urban Oregon - Photos - Photography

Old 06-02-2007, 10:05 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
You have to understand his definition of suburban, the fact that Portland is so orderly and planned so nicely like a little european city makes him feel like it is one of those planned communities in the suburbs, he prefers his city raw and rough around the edges, Houston has that, but I think he is underestimating the lack of density here though and how too raw it really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City