U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 02:27 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,604,927 times

Advertisements

Portland also has much more favorable weather compared to Houston. Summers and winters alike are both mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 PM

4,007 posts, read 9,884,105 times
Former Californian here....

I love the Pacific NW. It is beautiful there! My father is from Portland and so I would go up there quite a bit. I also went to college in Seattle and lived there for 4 years. There are job related reasons I ended up in California, but I would love to move back to the Pacific NW.

I have a less than zero desire to move to anywhere in TX though. Flat, hot, humid and not my cup of tea. So take my recommendation with that in mind!

Dawn

Old 06-03-2007, 03:22 PM

87 posts, read 348,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Former Californian here....

I love the Pacific NW. It is beautiful there! My father is from Portland and so I would go up there quite a bit. I also went to college in Seattle and lived there for 4 years. There are job related reasons I ended up in California, but I would love to move back to the Pacific NW.

I have a less than zero desire to move to anywhere in TX though. Flat, hot, humid and not my cup of tea. So take my recommendation with that in mind!

Dawn

Hmm....last time I checked Austin was anything but flat, especially west Austin with elevations aoa 2000ft.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:17 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
Still flat compared to the PNW

Old 06-03-2007, 06:10 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
The last few posts annoy me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I hear you. You gotta be nuts to choose Houston. Portland hands down. In fact sewage plant over houston tough decision, but I still id really have to mow it over.
It's called preference. If somebody prefers a different lifestyle than what you like, there is no need to bash him/her nor the city they are thinking about choosing. And seriously, what makes Houston that bad besides the flat land and the humidity?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Still flat compared to the PNW
But still his comment is not 100% true. There are areas in Texas that are hilly to mountainous like San Antonio and Austin.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,607,062 times
True, but to be honest, who actually ever notices how flat Houston is. No one ever says how flat New York City is. Then again, New York never takes the slack for any of its flaws just because it is what it is. But because Houston isn't as popular, and because it's in Texas, so many people want to point out everything that's wrong with it and assume there's nothing great about it. Not you, Spade. Just people in general.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:20 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
Hmm....last time I checked Austin was anything but flat, especially west Austin with elevations aoa 2000ft.
I live in Austin for a few more weeks. Its mostely flat, there are some hills. We are not talking about Austin though, we are talking about Houston. Maybe you guys should do what Im thinking about and take a look at Colorado.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,607,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I live in Austin for a few more weeks. Its mostely flat, there are some hills. We are not talking about Austin though, we are talking about Houston. Maybe you guys should do what Im thinking about and take a look at Colorado.
Where is Austin flat? In the least sense? That's the Hill Country. There are so many steep roads that I almost lose myself.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:24 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,167,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
True, but to be honest, who actually ever notices how flat Houston is. No one ever says how flat New York City is. Then again, New York never takes the slack for any of its flaws just because it is what it is. But because Houston isn't as popular, and because it's in Texas, so many people want to point out everything that's wrong with it and assume there's nothing great about it. Not you, Spade. Just people in general.
let me be the first to say that I think NY city flatness would suck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City