U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,611,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Being originally from PNW I can tell you what is or is not flat. Austin, more flat, that hilly. Maybe if your from Texas you think Im out of my mind, but I know hills, and a grassy knoll does not qualify. Austin in NEXT to hill country.
No. I'm just not seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 13,617,612 times
STOP THE MADNESS!!!-when will this END???Some people like Houston(and Texas),some dont,can I get an AMEN ----over and out?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarden View Post
It's so funny, but the only thing Houston residents can come up with that smokes Portland is the economy -- which may be true. However, I would bet that most of you defending Houston have never even visited Portland, and yet you have turned this into some sort of match to see whose city is better. If you're here to defend your city to the death, just start a thread proclaiming it as the best city in the United States. I hate people who defend their city in such a manner, just like I hate blind patriots who can see nothing wrong with The United States.
Actually, we've given plenty more reasons why they should choose Houston over Portland. And I don't remember saying Houston was better than Portland.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
STOP THE MADNESS!!!-when will this END???Some people like Houston(and Texas),some dont,can I get an AMEN ----over and out?
What does that have to do with anything? The original poster asked for help in deciding over Portland and Houston.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:48 AM

832 posts, read 3,500,445 times
Here is the original post with my response in parentheses):

Which city would offer the better cost of living and quality of life?
(Houston's cost of living is quite a bit lower, quality life depends on preferences)
What's the "social culture" like?
(Both strong)
Which city has a stronger economy in the financial/marketing sector?
(Houston)
Affordability of higher education and its access via rail/bus?
(Both have public Universities and community colleges. The University of Houston is a doctoral world class research unversity. PSU is a large master degree grantng university.) (Portland has better acces to rail/bus)

Which city is less sprawled? I want to stay away from the suburban .
atmosphere. I just love a lot of culture and urban feel.
(Both have sprawl. Houston's is larger. Both have culture and urban feel.)

Old 06-04-2007, 12:26 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,669,775 times
Hi guys,

Please let's all keep it civil. I have been doing extensive personal research and your input has been most valuable. I need to hear from all of you in order to make an informed decision. As you can see, and as I've mentioned, this is a very difficult decision based on "my specific needs and interests." I have taken in to consideration practically the entire US and narrowed it down to these two cities. I appreciate people that can give an "objective" view with borth pros and cons of each city. Some of you have great insight as to the "daily life" in Portland and Houston, those of you who reside in the city will best relate/identify as to what I'm seeking.

Someone mentioned that the decision is persona. For me, it's very personal and a lot is riding on this. That's why I need to be very careful in choosing the city that's the "best match."

Here's a breakdown where I'm at so far...

Socially/politically....Portland.
Cost of living and job opportunity...Houston.
Culture/Diversity...Houston.
Liberal/Tolerant/Laid Back climate....Portland.
Compassionate/friendly people w/charm....Houston.
Weather...Portland *I LOVE Overcast skies* and mild winters.
Public Transit....Portland by far.
Museums, Arts, Zoo's...Houston
Small independent arsty/feel...Portland.

What's left to consider in the equation:

How do the citizens of the "county" treat each other and what's the attitude towards those less fortunate? *very important* Be as honest as you can.

Resources...Which county has better resources to aid someone who MAY fall on hard times and/or..."safety net"

I may purchase a home after I complete my degree so I'm concerned about "property taxes". Houston...cheaper housing! Portland...more expensive! When you factor in property taxes...which city offers a better deal?? Be sure to take the "rate of home appreciation" in to your final consideration.

"City feel"- "Person" understood me very well when he stated that I'm looking for a CITY that has the NY/CA/Chicago "feel" w/ a low cost of living. I LIKE the "raw city" feel. A few homeless on the corner, people eating Burritos and sipping on Smoothies in the open air, some trash on the streets, low to moderate income population in a dense area that has a strong bohemian/artsy feel...Thai, Sushi, Indian, Greek joints (small) and family oriented. An environment where people are not overly stressed/rushed. Just picture Grenwhich Village NY or Wicker Park Chicago and tie that in with the Philladelphia neighborhood where Sylvester Stallone shot Rocky.

I want a community that feels like a "real city" with all of its imperfections.
That's what I meant when I stated I don't want a "ghetto" but I don't want Fifth Ave and/or Beverly Hills. A community of "starving artists" populated by a good mix of poor immigrants and college students. To me that's HOME regardless of my socioeconomic status.

Local City Council....Members should be pro-citizens/average person as opposed to coddling business owners and corporate interests.

Local Ordinances are important. No Zoning is a definite plus.

If I come to your city I expect to find everything opposite to a dead suburb filled w/strip malls and open space. The city should be extremely diverse in its entertainment/night life while keeping costs at a minimum.

These are the ONLY things I can think of that are left to consider...lol .

Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,170,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Hi guys,

Please let's all keep it civil. I have been doing extensive personal research and your input has been most valuable. I need to hear from all of you in order to make an informed decision. As you can see, and as I've mentioned, this is a very difficult decision based on "my specific needs and interests." I have taken in to consideration practically the entire US and narrowed it down to these two cities. I appreciate people that can give an "objective" view with borth pros and cons of each city. Some of you have great insight as to the "daily life" in Portland and Houston, those of you who reside in the city will best relate/identify as to what I'm seeking.

Someone mentioned that the decision is persona. For me, it's very personal and a lot is riding on this. That's why I need to be very careful in choosing the city that's the "best match."

Here's a breakdown where I'm at so far...

Socially/politically....Portland.
Cost of living and job opportunity...Houston.
Culture/Diversity...Houston.
Liberal/Tolerant/Laid Back climate....Portland.
Compassionate/friendly people w/charm....Houston.
Weather...Portland *I LOVE Overcast skies* and mild winters.
Public Transit....Portland by far.
Museums, Arts, Zoo's...Houston
Small independent arsty/feel...Portland.

What's left to consider in the equation:

How do the citizens of the "county" treat each other and what's the attitude towards those less fortunate? *very important* Be as honest as you can.

Resources...Which county has better resources to aid someone who MAY fall on hard times and/or..."safety net"

I may purchase a home after I complete my degree so I'm concerned about "property taxes". Houston...cheaper housing! Portland...more expensive! When you factor in property taxes...which city offers a better deal?? Be sure to take the "rate of home appreciation" in to your final consideration.

"City feel"- "Person" understood me very well when he stated that I'm looking for a CITY that has the NY/CA/Chicago "feel" w/ a low cost of living. I LIKE the "raw city" feel. A few homeless on the corner, people eating Burritos and sipping on Smoothies in the open air, some trash on the streets, low to moderate income population in a dense area that has a strong bohemian/artsy feel...Thai, Sushi, Indian, Greek joints (small) and family oriented. An environment where people are not overly stressed/rushed. Just picture Grenwhich Village NY or Wicker Park Chicago and tie that in with the Philladelphia neighborhood where Sylvester Stallone shot Rocky.

I want a community that feels like a "real city" with all of its imperfections.
That's what I meant when I stated I don't want a "ghetto" but I don't want Fifth Ave and/or Beverly Hills. A community of "starving artists" populated by a good mix of poor immigrants and college students. To me that's HOME regardless of my socioeconomic status.

Local City Council....Members should be pro-citizens/average person as opposed to coddling business owners and corporate interests.

Local Ordinances are important. No Zoning is a definite plus.

If I come to your city I expect to find everything opposite to a dead suburb filled w/strip malls and open space. The city should be extremely diverse in its entertainment/night life while keeping costs at a minimum.

These are the ONLY things I can think of that are left to consider...lol .
If you fall on hard times in Houstin, your might loose your house, I mean, think about it, The county is not going to forgive you of the massive property tax. Your going to average 5-6000 in property taxes a year. Ok now the flip coin, in portland, you pay income tax. Sucks, but you have to get your money somewhere. If you lose your job in Portland, your stop paying income taxes right then. They can only charge you the income tax if you are working right? The people of Portalnd are Very friendly. You are going to have a little tougher time talking to people about politics if you have liberal views in Houston. No sales tax in Portland, another savings. You could buy your house in Vancouver and save thousands on a house. If you like overcast..well thats a little unusual, but no place in the nation can beat the PNW for that. Portland has a zoo, quite a nice one actually. We also have a wild life safari to the south thats really cool. Oregon beaches, are some of the most majestic in the world. I have been to 24 countrys around the world and the Oregon Coast is the most beautiful.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,448,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
If you fall on hard times in Houstin, your might loose your house, I mean, think about it, The county is not going to forgive you of the massive property tax. Your going to average 5-6000 in property taxes a year. Ok now the flip coin, in portland, you pay income tax. Sucks, but you have to get your money somewhere. If you lose your job in Portland, your stop paying income taxes right then. They can only charge you the income tax if you are working right? The people of Portalnd are Very friendly. You are going to have a little tougher time talking to people about politics if you have liberal views in Houston. No sales tax in Portland, another savings. You could buy your house in Vancouver and save thousands on a house. If you like overcast..well thats a little unusual, but no place in the nation can beat the PNW for that. Portland has a zoo, quite a nice one actually. We also have a wild life safari to the south thats really cool. Oregon beaches, are some of the most majestic in the world. I have been to 24 countrys around the world and the Oregon Coast is the most beautiful.
The people of Houston are VERY friendly. The city of Houston is not as conservative as you would like to think.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,669,775 times
Maybe the business folk are very different than the average locals? I mean would I have to worry about some guy with a Cowboy hat and boots ringing my bell, telling me he's the local Sheriff enforcing the laws of the state of Texas....lol

I want the keys and the deed to your property NOW! I don't know, something tells me Houston is not as conservative and oppressive as people make it out to be, but I haven't been there to actually know

Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,448,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Maybe the business folk are very different than the average locals? I mean would I have to worry about some guy with a Cowboy hat and boots ringing my bell, telling me he's the local Sheriff enforcing the laws of the state of Texas....lol

I want the keys and the deed to your property NOW! I don't know, something tells me Houston is not as conservative and oppressive as people make it out to be, but I haven't been there to actually know
Some of HPD do have horses, but that's it. Houston really isn't as conservative as some here try to make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City