Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
Wrong.

The last time I checked, the most visited places in the world are big cities bustling with culture, history, and excitement.

Far, far more people visit New York City, London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Tokyo, Rome, Hong Kong, Singapore, Amsterdam, vs Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Zion.

Looking at where people travel, it's blindingly clear that most travel for culture and excitement - not to stare at a bunch of rocks or a tree....or a giant pit.
Very true...but I think you would be surprised to find out that not everyone agrees with your view of excitement and culture. I don't know (and don't really care) the answer to the question at hand, but I know that you can't assume to know other people's opinions.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Wrong.

The last time I checked, the most visited places in the world are big cities bustling with culture, history, and excitement.

Far, far more people visit New York City, London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Tokyo, Rome, Hong Kong, Singapore, Amsterdam, vs Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Zion.

Looking at where people travel, it's blindingly clear that most travel for culture and excitement - not to stare at a bunch of rocks or a tree....or a giant pit.
What about cities like Miami, Orlando, LA and LV? These cities also get visited by millions. As a matter of fact these LA, Orlando and LV were the top 3 until this 09 when NYC surpassed them for the 1st time in 20 years. I think it's safe to say that people visit these 5 cities equally.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What about cities like Miami, Orlando, LA and LV? These cities also get visited by millions. As a matter of fact these LA, Orlando and LV were the top 3 until this 09 when NYC surpassed them for the 1st time in 20 years. I think it's safe to say that people visit these 5 cities equally.
NYC didn't have the most visitors last year. It was just named the top tourist destination due to its large spike in tourism. Orlando still had millions more visitors than NYC.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Very true...but I think you would be surprised to find out that not everyone agrees with your view of excitement and culture. I don't know (and don't really care) the answer to the question at hand, but I know that you can't assume to know other people's opinions.
Very true. Not too mention, all different kinds of "culture" outside of museums and theater attract millions of people from all over the world to certain cities.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
I would put DC & NYC as the top tier. Then LA, LV.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
NY or LA. Nobody else comes close.
Really? The numbers say otherwise. Seems how Orlando, has been number 1 and number 2 behind LA interchangably for years. Just saying.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
Quote:
Wrong.

This is not fact. My whole argument all along was to consider other points of view instead of disparaging them like you are trying to do.

Please trust. I'm probably the biggest urban loving mother sucker this side of the Mississippi. So, I understand your point. I also know it's not fact.

But I absolutely love and can appreciate nature as well. It's like Monet vs. Picasso. Both are masterpieces that I can appreciate for days. I picked those few to make a point, by no means are they the only ones or even the most visited.

Timeless. 1,000,000 years from now people will still flock to the Grand Canyon and still go WTF! , taking their breath away.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 02-03-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM
RR3

41 posts, read 50,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Really? The numbers say otherwise. Seems how Orlando, has been number 1 and number 2 behind LA interchangably for years. Just saying.

AHEM.

New York City tops Disney World (Orlando) as most popular tourist destination 2009.

NYC Named Top Tourist Destination - WPIX

Not to mention, NYC is by far the most popular destination when it comes to international tourists.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,519 times
What does the raw number of people that visit a city have to do with "Most Attractions." If 40 million people go to visit "City A" but the only thing they do is visit two attractions, it doesn't change the fact that "City B" with 20 million tourists who go to seven attractions still has more attractions (despite having less tourists).

If you people didn't go on such ridiculous tangents you would read the thread and see if isn't about "Most Tourists" but the "Most Attractions."

Old 02-03-2010, 04:09 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,243 times
I have a problem with absolute #s when it comes to visitors. Does it take into account # of people who have no interest in being a "tourist" with their 1/2 day trips, 1 day trips? My colleagues often fly into Chicago, NYC, LA, and Vegas for trainings, Board meetings, or conventions several times a week, but I would not consider them tourists. I would think this would overly inflate the numbers of these cities.

For the case of Orlando, if someone is going to be there, they REALLY want to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City