U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
RR3

41 posts, read 12,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Europeans I've known have a lot better grasp of geography (especially international geography) than that of the average American. I think it's pretty common to know that LA is wayyyy over there, and NYC is a lot closer.

Do you think the kid going mummy is really going to be deciding the trip and know much about the difference in flight time and ticket prices? And you mean three hours difference and a few hundred dollars more per person. And the idea that they just want to go to America is part of the argument--if you just want to go to America, then why spend more hours and more money on the flight?

Again, this isn't to say it's a deal break or sealer, but it's a factor. It's not as if NYC is the only international attractant in the US--San Francisco and Los Angeles are very well-known. The length and cost of the flight is among the many factors that make NYC more attractive than those cities.
And at the end of the day, New York is still more expensive. It's called hotel costs. Those other cities are extremely cheap when it comes to hotel costs, and aren't even on the map:

Source: hotels.com

As we see NYC is the #2 most expensive hotel city in the WORLD. Not to mention, everything costs more in NYC (restaurants, attractions, etc), even when you factor in car rentals in Vegas or LA...which is cheap.

I think it's pretty obvious why NYC is #2 in the world when it comes to foreigners buying homes, next to London. Because it's just amazingly fabulous and foreigners love it.

Last edited by RR3; 02-03-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM

11,283 posts, read 10,035,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
As you can see New York is the most visit city of the US.

Top 25 Most Visited Tourist Destinations in America | The Travelers Zone
This has been covered endlessly already! That's specific destinations within a city and not the city as a whole. The numbers for entire cities has actually been posted already. No big deal though, I understand English is not your native language so this isn't an attack on you.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
And at the end of the day, New York is still more expensive. It's called hotel costs. Those other cities are extremely cheap when it comes to hotel costs, and aren't even on the map:

As we see NYC is the #2 most expensive cities by hotels in the WORLD. Not to mention, everything costs more in NYC (restaurants, attractions, etc).
Well, if you want to get into other details then let's add the nuisance and costs of car rentals to pretty much every other American city out there since they aren't built for easy mass transit. So... take the time to swap your European driver's license (if you have one--otherwise, get tested for it or be prepared to pay for being taxi-ed everywhere) and pay for a car rental and gas.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,579,157 times
Quote:
This has been covered endlessly already! That's specific destinations within a city and not the city as a whole. The numbers for entire cities has actually been posted already. No big deal though, I understand English is not your native language so this isn't an attack on you.
What does my native language has to do with this? You are testing me huh? And I understand that you do not want to accept that NYC is the best city My native language is English, or did you forget I was from NY?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
RR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
WHAT?! I'm sorry but LA and New York are an entire continent apart. I would hope most Europeans would know there's HUGE distance between the two cities. Do you really think most Americans would assume Madrid and Istanbul are about the same distance from North America? Also, anyone who knows the basic geography of Europe would know that Barcelona is quite a distance from Rome.

Anyway, I think his point was that a flight to New York from anywhere in Europe would be cheaper than it would be to LA because of the distance and also, not that I have kids, but I'm sure cutting off about 6 hours of travel time (just ball parking that number) would be very appealing to anyone who's taking a family vacation with young children.
Yes, and the point was....how many people know LA and New York are very far apart?

And go on the street here in the United States and ask ten people to identify which city is closer, Rome, Prague, Paris or Barcelona. 9 out of 10 wouldn't have the slightest clue. I guarantee it.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
What does my native language has to do with this? Can you cut the nonsense already? And I understand that you do not want to accept that NYC is the best city My native language is English, or did you forget I was from NY?
I figured you had a hard time with the article and this topic since it's been explicitly mentioned over and over again. What other explanation could there be for the lack of reading comprehension or correct grammar? I'm not a native English speaker either--I'm actually from Taipei and emigrated to Los Angeles in elementary school and identified myself as an Angelenos for most of my life (I figured it was about the same for you), so I understand that second language acquisition is hard.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM

4,386 posts, read 5,579,157 times
Quote:
I figured you had a hard time with the article and this topic since it's been explicitly mentioned over and over again. What other explanation could there be for the lack of reading comprehension or correct grammar? I'm not a native English speaker either--I'm actually from Taipei and emigrated to Los Angeles in elementary school and identified myself as an Angelenos for most of my life; I figured it was about the same for you), so I understand that second language acquisition is hard.
Thanks for the laugh pal. For your information, I am doing my Master's degree. Also, you made wrong assumptions as well, because I know how to read and write English. I just did not read what was covered. That's all. But yeah thanks for the big joke. I understand that you like to make people laugh, and I love it because you make my day.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
Yes, and the point was....how many people know LA and New York are very far apart?

And go on the street here in the United States and ask ten people to identify which city is closer, Rome, Prague, Paris or Barcelona. 9 out of 10 wouldn't have the slightest clue. I guarantee it.
I'd guarantee that, too. I wouldn't vouch for asking someone from Paris or London if NYC or Los Angeles is closer though (it helps that both NYC and LA are strongly identified with their coasts). They'd also easily see there's a difference when searching for tickets.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
RR3

Quote:
Well, if you want to get into other details then let's add the nuisance and costs of car rentals to pretty much every other American city out there since they aren't built for easy mass transit. So... take the time to swap your European driver's license (if you have one--otherwise, get tested for it or be prepared to pay for being taxi-ed everywhere) and pay for a car rental and gas.
What? Um, you can drive in the United States with a European drivers license. Legally. Americans can also drive in Europe with an American drivers license.

Car rental costs? Are you kidding? You can rent cars at LAX for a grand total of...............$26 a day.

That's actually cheaper than the constant use of metrocards and taxis.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh pal. For your information, I am doing my Master's degree. Also, you made wrong assumptions as well, because I know how to read and write English. So please
My mistake, sorry! It's just that you posted the same thing when the article didn't state what you claimed nor did you follow the conversation about this that had already occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City