Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
From the job perspective I would choose Atlanta, but you need to weigh your chances of being both successful and happy in one city. If you like the weather, entertainment and activities in Atlanta then go for it. If not weigh them both out and see what will work better for you.
Great advice.

Just be aware that these two places you are targeting could not be more different from each other if they tried!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 12:24 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Great advice.

Just be aware that these two places you are targeting could not be more different from each other if they tried!
I am definitely aware of that. Here's what I gather about Phoenix and Atlanta. (Note, I've been to Phoenix twice, and I've driven through Atlanta (the whole state of Georgia (down 75).

Phoenix: Gorgeous mountains and landscape. Arid. Spread out. Good sports teams. Heavily suburban.

Atlanta: Seems very urban. A lot more options for jobs (from what I gather from what you guys tell me). A lot of entertainment options, etc.

I personally think I may be a little more in my element if I were to choose Atlanta. Reason being, there's a lot of hills and greenery and trees there. Humidity doesn't bother me as I'm used to it in the summers. Though there's not that many days in the 90's where I'm from. It would be a welcome change though.

Both cities would offer mild winters as well. Basically as far as weather goes, Phoenix has its brutal summers, Atlanta has its humidity in the summer as well as a tiny bit of snow in the winter (is it every winter?). Either way, I wouldn't be able to complain about weather in each city. I'd be able to handle them both. (Definitely more than I can handle these brutal and way-too-long winters here in Duluth,MN)

Old 01-30-2010, 12:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I am definitely aware of that. Here's what I gather about Phoenix and Atlanta. (Note, I've been to Phoenix twice, and I've driven through Atlanta (the whole state of Georgia (down 75).

Phoenix: Gorgeous mountains and landscape. Arid. Spread out. Good sports teams. Heavily suburban.

Atlanta: Seems very urban. A lot more options for jobs (from what I gather from what you guys tell me). A lot of entertainment options, etc.

I personally think I may be a little more in my element if I were to choose Atlanta. Reason being, there's a lot of hills and greenery and trees there. Humidity doesn't bother me as I'm used to it in the summers. Though there's not that many days in the 90's where I'm from. It would be a welcome change though.

Both cities would offer mild winters as well. Basically as far as weather goes, Phoenix has its brutal summers, Atlanta has its humidity in the summer as well as a tiny bit of snow in the winter (is it every winter?). Either way, I wouldn't be able to complain about weather in each city. I'd be able to handle them both. (Definitely more than I can handle these brutal and way-too-long winters here in Duluth,MN)
Yep, the landscape and geography of Georgia is not THAT much different from what you're used to.

As far as the snow thing, it depends. We have had winters where we don't get any, but you can ususally count on a little snow at least once or twice each winter. Ice storms can happen here too - they are always a disaster.

The heat in the summer usually isn't too bad. We are over 1,000 feet above sea level, so that helps moderate things.

There were quite a few days last summer when it was hotter in D.C. and New York than it was here.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yep, the landscape and geography of Georgia is not THAT much different from what you're used to.

As far as the snow thing, it depends. We have had winters where we don't get any, but you can ususally count on a little snow at least once or twice each winter. Ice storms can happen here too - they are always a disaster.

The heat in the summer usually isn't too bad. We are over 1,000 feet above sea level, so that helps moderate things.

There were quite a few days last summer when it was hotter in D.C. and New York than it was here.
Well that's not too bad then. It really seems like that's more down my alley and what I'd be more comfortable with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City