Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a more pedestrian friendly downtown?
Phoenix 15 26.32%
Sacramento 42 73.68%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:29 AM

221 posts, read 798,105 times

Advertisements

These are two cities not known for their pedestrian friendly nature, but which has the better downtown for walking?

Ive spent a good amount of time in both, and Sacramento has a surprisingly walkable and human scale downtown (despite the sprawly nature of the rest of the city), with decent amenities and commercial activity. So my vote goes to Sacramento.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 AM

270 posts, read 855,009 times
I would have to agree with the above statement.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 AM

8,614 posts, read 10,143,894 times
In some ways, Tucson is more pedestrian-friendly than Phoenix.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:23 AM

12,838 posts, read 22,014,769 times
^I was in Tucson a week ago. It really wasn't bad at all downtown... particularly along 4th Ave and the surrounding areas. It was actually quite nice. The rest of the city was sprawling, but parts of downtown had a really good scale.

Phoenix, on the other hand, was rough. I had a 11:59pm flight out of Phoenix and arrived in Phoenix at about 4pm. Needless to say, I had time to kill. I jumped on the light rail and headed downtown. The scale was way off. It wasn't enjoyable walking around. The light rail, on the other hand, was quite nice. It just didn't connect me anywhere I wanted to go.

For the sake of choosing the lesser of two evils, Sacramento is better than Phoenix. Tucson is better than both.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:38 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,898 times
When I visited Phoenix I found DT Tempe and Scottsdale more pedestrian friendly than Phoenix was.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,269 times
It's been years since I've been to either city, but Downtown Sacramento seemed more interesting to walk around in--the K Street Mall, the Capital Mall, Old sacramento. I'd agree that Scottsdale and Tempe are better than either downtown in terms of walkability.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM

593 posts, read 1,762,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^I was in Tucson a week ago. It really wasn't bad at all downtown... particularly along 4th Ave and the surrounding areas. It was actually quite nice. The rest of the city was sprawling, but parts of downtown had a really good scale.

Phoenix, on the other hand, was rough. I had a 11:59pm flight out of Phoenix and arrived in Phoenix at about 4pm. Needless to say, I had time to kill. I jumped on the light rail and headed downtown. The scale was way off. It wasn't enjoyable walking around. The light rail, on the other hand, was quite nice. It just didn't connect me anywhere I wanted to go.

For the sake of choosing the lesser of two evils, Sacramento is better than Phoenix. Tucson is better than both.
I disagree that Tucson's downtown is better than Sacramento's in terms of pedestrian friendliness. I lived in tucson for 5 years. It has some decent pedestrian areas around the campus and 4th avenue. But downtown as a whole is tiny and seriously lacks amenities.

Sacramento, while the rest of the city is a major sprawl, actually has a semi-decent size downtown, and much of it is very walkable, with distinct areas and corner markets, bars etc.

I would put Sacramento's downtown above Tempe and Scottsdale's as well. Again, it's significantly bigger and has a lot more areas to explore.

Just to be clear, I'm usually not much of an advocate for Sacramento, but as you said we are comparing the lesser of evils, and Sacramento's downtown offers much more than most people think.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:38 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Sacramento. Nice downtown too, one of the best I've seen.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,186 times
Sac,downtown Phoenix doesn't compare,I agree about Scottsdale being more walkable.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times
No comparison; downtown Phoenix. While there are a couple streets here and there in Tucson, mainly 4th Ave and Sacramento having a smallish downtown as well, downtown Phoenix has 14,000 residents, an Arts District along Roosevelt Row, a CBD (central business district), an arena, stadium, amazing convention center, new high-rises with shopping, nightclubs, grocery stores, a downtown Public Market/Farmers Market, light rail, free downtown DASH bus service, and the list goes on.

There is nothing comparable in Tucson or Sac-town. Tempe isn't really walkable "downtown" as that area is north of Town Lake, but its HUGE university district, Mill District, Maple/Ash, and Town Lake districts all mesh into one HUGE urban zone that makes it extremely walkable. Scottsdale also has a MUCH larger Old Town/Downtown area compared to Sacramento's. There are more residents in downtown Scottsdale alone and the urban districts in Tempe alone than Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City