U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM

64 posts, read 144,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post

Here's a new one-
Sacramento: white
Interesting, I would say blue, even with the government presence. The downtown is pretty gritty aside from a few areas.

I said the bay area was white collar because of SF, the heart of the area, is very expensive and an important financial center. There are also many upscale white collar suburbs in the area too. To me the city of SF feels like a very upscale, well of place.

most cities require a working class majority to keep them running, the distinction I am looking for here is how much that influence is felt, as opposed to the blue collar aspects being left in the background. So even though the majority of the Bay might made of working people, San Francisco doesn't reflect that culture.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM

14,598 posts, read 22,414,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
I have been to several cities, and I think Chicago is more "white collar". It's the attitude and lifestyle of "not getting your hands dirty" (not dissing them). Perhaps it is because I carefully made sure to avoid ghetto parts which give people this image of Chicago as the paycheck to paycheck rough life. But the nicest parts of some blue collar cities are just that- blue. So I feel Chicago is white.

The Bay Area is not white collar. In fact, I've never heard of anyone refer to it as such.SF, yes, maybe not the majority, but a large portion is, and even that minority justifiably represents its working culture. But the Bay Area cities otherwise are a little on the "scary" side, the suburbs/smaller towns very "bare minimum", and the local slang being slightly "ghetto" (which I do NOT throw around lightly; yadidamean, thizzin, hyphy) - I would never guess it's collectively "white collar".

Here's a new one-
Sacramento: white
The Bay Area is VERY white collar compared to most metro areas, after DC it's the most educated region in the country. SF is one of the most educated cities overall and the culture of the area is very white collar imo. The East Bay is more blue collar but Marin County, SF, San Mateo County, and Santa Clara County are VERY white collar. Chicago seems much more blue collar than the Bay Area.

The Bay Area has some scary, ghetto cities but it's not really much worse than most places.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 PM

14,598 posts, read 22,414,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzz View Post
Phoenix - white?
LA - white, but maybe just in reputation
San Diego - White
I feel all these cities are more blue collar than white, looking at education levels Phoenix and LA are definitely blue collar. SD is kind of in the middle but to me it has more of a blue collar vibe around much of it.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 PM

10,876 posts, read 16,298,455 times
Quote:

Flordia cities - no clue
I don't know about Flordia, but many of Florida's cities are neither. Much of the state's economy is service related. Tourism, entertainment, retail, etc. is a huge economic engine for Florida.
This doesn't mean that the other two categories don't exist. It's just that neither are as dominant as they are in other cities. For instance, Miami has a lot of white collar jobs for major service industries like the cruise lines and as the gateway to the America's for many multinational and international corporations. But, the quantity of the jobs pales in comparison to the sheer numbers of people working in service industry jobs.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM

5,531 posts, read 9,230,657 times
Maybe Florida is "no collar"

Old 02-04-2010, 12:58 PM

10,664 posts, read 20,249,826 times
Chicago is one that's probably changed the most in the past 50 years. I think it has the view of still being a fairly blue collar area, and for many many people it is blue collar. The 1970's through late 1980's definitely changed things - and obviously that era was REALLY hard on the city and the metro. Hundreds of thousands of jobs were lost, as people tried to adjust to the new jobs the area was trying so hard to bring in.

The number of jobs in manufacturing and heavy industries has been constantly creeping down, as more serivce oriented and white collar jobs have been constantly creeping up. It seems every recession this is just exasperated even more - with the city taking pretty big slams compared to many areas.

It's gotten to the point where by 2009:

White Collar type industries: 3,879,105 jobs (77%)
Blue Collar type industries: 1,152,491 jobs (23%)

White collar was done by adding up things such as healthcare, social services, administrative services, government, retail, professional and tech services, finance, insurance, accomodation, other services, real estate, education, information, arts, management.

Blue collar was done by adding up things such as manutacturing, wholesale trade, transportation, construction, agriculture, utilities, mining.

The most current estimate for 2012 are:

White Collar type industries: 4,164,811 jobs (78%)
Blue Collar type industries: 1,153,686 jobs (22%)

That said though, there are certainly huge areas, especially to the south of the city, in the southern parts of the city itself, and out to the northwest of the city that are heavily blue collar type jobs. That base has just been slowly shrinking, while most of the ever growing suburban areas are extremely white collar based.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM

481 posts, read 1,551,212 times
The one word that most accurately characterizes the Minneapolis-St Paul economy is "diversified" - something that gets constantly pounded into our heads whenever there is a discussion of economic events up here. The highs are never stratospheric, the lows are never catastrophic. So its a toss-up.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 PM

13,902 posts, read 20,636,768 times
Quote:
You hear this a lot "blah blah, old blue collar city, etc." Or "blah blah, exciting, white collar city." So in your mind, what cities seem more blue collar or working class, and which cities do you think of as white collar, professional, etc. Obv, every city has a balance of both, but I believe people are referring mostly to the overall culture, history, and vibe of the city in question.

So, by region, I'll take a stab at what my impressions are. I haven't been to most of these cities, and the ones I have been to I mostly haven't seen much of them, so this isn't much more than guessing. I only included cities I have an opinion on, feel free to have more

Northeast:
Boston - White (IMO seems very white collar, despite what you sometimes hear)
Providence - blue
Philadelphia - classic Blue collar city
NYC - White, though it's so big it is kind of stupid to call it one or the other, Manhattan seems to define white collar
Washington DC - White
Baltimore - Blue
Pittsburgh - Blue

South:
Charlotte - White
Atlanta - Blue?
Flordia cities - no clue
New Orleans - Blue
Dallas -white /Ft Worth- Blue ? just guessing
Houston - white, but I really don't know
San Antonio - Blue
Austin - white

Midwest:
St Louis: Blue
Kansas City - Blue
Des Moines - White
Minneapolis - blue? white? seems like it could be either
Chicago - Blue
Indianapolis - Blue
Cleveland - Blue
Detroit - Blue

West:
Denver- blue?
Salt Lake City - white
Albuquerque - Blue
Phoenix - white?
LA - white, but maybe just in reputation
San Diego - White
Bay Area - White
Portland - Blue
Seattle - White
Dallas is white, Houston is blue with pocka dots of white. Jacksonville Blue, Miami is hard to determine but I guess it leans white, Orlando seems to be white, Tampa is hard to determine.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:15 PM

1,944 posts, read 4,163,311 times
Have to agree with Chicago60614. Despite its reputation, Chicago has pretty much become more of a white collar city. That's not to say there are not a good amount of blue collar folks left, but by and large their communities have been pushed to the fringes of the city or out into the suburbs. There are also a good amount of suburbs that have a very yuppie, white collar vibe. If you expect to visit Chicago and see a bunch of stereotypical blue collar guys with mustaches hanging out on the streets, you will probably be disappointed.

Before Chicago, I lived in San Diego and have to say that it was more blue collar than Chicago. San Diego has more blue collar types living in what are considered some of the more desirable parts of the city, as well as more transplants that don't fit the white collar mold (e.g. military, surfers, slackers). Most of Chicago's high end areas are dominated by yuppies and hipsters. San Diego also has a blue collar type of west coast youth culture, the equivalent of which is absent in the city of Chicago.

Northeast Ohio (i.e. Cleveland area), where I'm from originally, is straight up more blue collar than both of them. That probably does not surprise anyone though, LOL.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM

521 posts, read 1,064,018 times
as far as overall city vibe goes, Dallas is white collar and Houston is blue collar. Sure, Dallas south of Trinity River is blue collar and Houston's medical center, downtown, energy corridor, galleria area all feel white collar. But mythical perception is that Dallas is snooty Highland Park folks and Houston is refinery Joes. Similarly, Boston has that "Boston Brahmin" and Harvard-grad silver spoonfed aura to it while Philadelphia has the industrial blue-collar grunginess feel to it. Philly afterall used to be the "workshop of the world" until 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City