U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 07:49 PM

3,604 posts, read 6,370,597 times

Advertisements

sorry but outside of the gentrified areas(which are like a few) chicago is pretty blue collar(esp compared to most big cities except maybe philly). the burbs are pretty split and then there are some towns with a little bit of both blue and white collar.

as far as houston it always seemed more blue collar and dallas in the opposite. The bay area seems more white collar. LA seems more blue contrary to popular belief. NYC seems like the best of both worlds

and it seems like many people are mixing blue collar up with being poor which is false!!

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 02-04-2010 at 08:07 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,465,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Dallas is white, Houston is blue with pocka dots of white. Jacksonville Blue, Miami is hard to determine but I guess it leans white, Orlando seems to be white, Tampa is hard to determine.
Tampa is very much blue

Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 PM

10,666 posts, read 15,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Maybe Florida is "no collar"
...or bedazzled collar.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:12 AM

305 posts, read 296,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New York:
Manhattan white
Outer boroughs blue
Money making Manhattan baby.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:48 AM

6,926 posts, read 7,834,270 times
A few examples:

Boston-white ( with a few blue neighborhoods)
NYC-Manhattan (white); other boroughs (blue)
Wash DC-white ( some blue neighborhoods)
Milwaukee-blue
Minn-St. Paul-white ( no "heavy" industry)
Chicago-historically blue, but changing dramatically...

Many mediulm-sized capitols ( Madison, Raleigh, Des Moines, etc) are white-collar, because of gov't employment..

Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,212,584 times
Not necessarily based on fact, but based on perception.

Northeast:
Boston - White
Providence - Blue
Philadelphia - Blue
NYC - White
Washington DC - White
Baltimore - Blue
Pittsburgh - White
Rochester - White
Buffalo - Blue

South:
Charlotte - White
Atlanta - Blue
Tampa - White
Miami - Blue
Orlando - Blue
New Orleans - Blue
Dallas - White
Houston - Blue
San Antonio - Blue
Austin - White
Memphis - Blue
Little Rock - Blue
Raleigh - White
Nashville - White

Midwest:
St. Louis: Blue
Kansas City - Blue
Des Moines - White
Minneapolis - White
Chicago - White
Indianapolis - Blue
Cleveland - Blue
Detroit - Blue
Milwaukee - Blue
Madison - White
Cincinnati - Blue
Columbus - White

West:
Denver- White
Salt Lake City - Blue
Albuquerque - Blue
Phoenix - Blue
LA - White
San Diego - White
Bay Area - White
Portland - White
Seattle - White
Sacramento - Blue
Fresno - Blue

Old 02-06-2010, 04:54 PM

2,503 posts, read 4,736,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzz View Post
you hear this a lot "blah blah, old blue collar city, etc." or "blah blah, exciting, white collar city." so in your mind, what cities seem more blue collar or working class, and which cities do you think of as white collar, professional, etc. Obv, every city has a balance of both, but i believe people are referring mostly to the overall culture, history, and vibe of the city in question.

So, by region, i'll take a stab at what my impressions are. I haven't been to most of these cities, and the ones i have been to i mostly haven't seen much of them, so this isn't much more than guessing. I only included cities i have an opinion on, feel free to have more

northeast:
Boston - white (imo seems very white collar, despite what you sometimes hear)
providence - blue
philadelphia - classic blue collar city
nyc - white, though it's so big it is kind of stupid to call it one or the other, manhattan seems to define white collar
washington dc - white
baltimore - blue
pittsburgh - blue

south:
Charlotte - white
atlanta - blue?
Flordia cities - no clue
new orleans - blue
dallas -white /ft worth- blue ? Just guessing
houston - white, but i really don't know
san antonio - blue
austin - white

midwest:
St louis: Blue
kansas city - blue
des moines - white
minneapolis - blue? White? Seems like it could be either
chicago - blue
indianapolis - blue
cleveland - blue
detroit - blue

west:
Denver- blue?
Salt lake city - white
albuquerque - blue
phoenix - white?
La - white, but maybe just in reputation
san diego - white
bay area - white
portland - blue
seattle - white

san antonio is actually white collar! More white collar jobs overall in Finance, Insurance, healthcare. San Antonio has more jobs in the Finance and insurance sector than any other texas city.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:45 PM

7,732 posts, read 10,704,497 times
I'm pretty surprised at the amount of people that keep listing Atlanta as blue.

This is probably one of the most white color metro areas. Almost all of our heavy industry is gone, with the exception of a large LockheedMartin aerospace plant.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:12 PM

10,454 posts, read 19,494,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Many mediulm-sized capitols ( Madison, Raleigh, Des Moines, etc) are white-collar, because of gov't employment..
Well as far as those two Midwest cities, the government jobs help make them white, but those areas specifically are exceptionally white because of the University in Madison, and the insurance sector in Des Moines.

I guess the University is state (ergo I guess Government) jobs - but not really having to do with it actually being the capital city.

The city of Des Moines has 81% of the jobs in the "management, professional, service, finance, office" sectors, but only 12% of the metro jobs are actually in government.

Either way - they're both extremely white collar for their size and location.

My hometown of Iowa City would also definitely be a white collar town, with 85% of jobs in the "education, management, office, services" sector. Obviously due to the fact the University of Iowa is located there with a lot of research clinics and the large hospitals. That employs well over 20,000 people.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 02-06-2010 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-06-2010, 06:27 PM

137 posts, read 293,404 times
As far as Atlanta, I have to say white collar, although many are saying blue. Just my perception. My brother lived there for a few years and I got a white collar vibe. A lot of tech parks and young people moving there for high tech jobs.
As far as Pittsburgh, you couldn't get much more blue collar 20+ years ago, and that's still probably the popular perception. But it's economy has really re-invented itself and is now mostly based on healthcare/medicine, higher education, and finance. Pretty white collar, though with deep blue collar roots. I think it's a good combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City