U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,333,432 times

Advertisements

This is a very generalized thread, theres white collars and blue collars in every city, good areas, bad areas, bmw's and honda civics (no offense if you drive one lol).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 20,376 times
Seattle has alot of white collar jobs from Microsoft but they also have a very large fishing industiry which is considered blue collar. ie Crab Fishing.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:51 AM

4,384 posts, read 14,261,162 times
Its really sad to see how quickly some of are cities are moving toward white collar from Blue Collar (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc). But, i guess that's just how it is and we can't really change that.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:18 PM

245 posts, read 124,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
New York:
Manhattan white
Outer boroughs blue
It's hard to find more far fetched generalization.
Heavy industry moved out of New York long time ago and the Boros are much more mixed that most want to believe.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:23 PM

8,190 posts, read 10,560,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Its really sad to see how quickly some of are cities are moving toward white collar from Blue Collar (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc). But, i guess that's just how it is and we can't really change that.
That's what they've gotta do to survive. Those steel plants and other plants aren't coming back. It's also what other cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Youngstown, Toledo, Buffalo, etc. are going to have to do if they want to remain viable cities.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:43 PM

4,384 posts, read 14,261,162 times
Yea, it's great economically, I just hate what it does culturally. I wish we could get more industry again, but this time with much less pollution!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 PM

245 posts, read 124,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yea, it's great economically, I just hate what it does culturally. I wish we could get more industry again, but this time with much less pollution!
You want fire without the smoke. There was a valid socioeconomical reason why all big cities basically grew around big industrial areas, kind of symbiosis, but this is all so 18 and 19 century. Big cities has become too gentrified and the service industry became too profitable to allow for return of big plants into big urban areas.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 AM

13,856 posts, read 20,238,149 times
I saw a recent thing on this so I bumped it up.

http://www.creativeclass.com/creativ...7/WC_Share.jpg

Dalton, Georgia and Elkhart, Indiana do get listed as the most "blue collar" by this. Other highly blue-collar cities it lists are

Morristown, Tennessee
Houma, Louisiana
Decatur, Alabama
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Hickory, North Carolina
Odessa, Texas
Gainesville, Georgia
Sheboygan, Wisconsin

Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 AM

70 posts, read 57,263 times
Blue collar rules!

Last edited by bmwsterling; 12-31-2010 at 02:47 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 AM

70 posts, read 57,263 times
Default THE Rant of being a white collar worker city vs being a blue collar city

Let me first say that its really nothing wrong with being white collar but why do people prefer white collar?
Please tell me why. In my last thread people did not explain it right to me. I really don't see a different

So I will tell you guys why I prefer blue
Omg white collar cities are better!!!!
I sit in a nice office and make 100k a year doing nuthin but arranging documents!

The thing about white collar jobs are: FOLLOWERS
The thing about blue collar jobs are: LEADERS

If you wanna make your own money and run a nice lil buisness making about 90k a year go BLUE

I am blue collar and proud of it
I work for MY SELF and not worry about being layed off or fired for spilling your corrupted bosses coffee..

Even though my family has a lot of money, I never took it.
I opened a computer shop in philly selling and repairing computers. I make a good 90k to 100k a year from my shop. I am glad I do this and will never work white collar EVER!!! I also have 3 very well educated employees and guess what? I'm THE BOSS. I WRITE THERE CHECKS! They each make about 70k a year except for my new employee. She makes about 40 to 50k
So like I said, if you thinking of starting something up of your own GO BLUE COLLAR
If you wanna be bossed around by some crazed person fearing of losing your job go white.
Oh and I'm not that 'poor blue collar worker on welfare'.
I drive a 2011 7 Series
I have a nice little loft in society hill
I am single
I am basically doing pretty good for my self for a blue collar worker

Oh and I'm sure most white collar workers don't even make half the cash I make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City