Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 10:13 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times

Advertisements

While I'm ranting. I really don't know what to say about Detroit. When I was kid, I looked at Detroit as like the mecca of the automotive industry and related fields. I remember wanting to move there and work in the industry. I the early 90s I think the motor city was doing its thing. Has Detroit really fallen off the mid-west as a dominant city? I don't know much about the mid-west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You can't place NY in the same category as TX, CA and FL when it comes to multiple major cities. NYC pretty dominates and overshadows the rest of NY.

I'd say a perfect example of cities with multiple cities are NC, OH, MO, and a few others.

I understand what your saying, but to people not familiar with NY; they won't know anything or much about the state outside of NYC.
I agree with this resoning.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
While I'm ranting. I really don't know what to say about Detroit. When I was kid, I looked at Detroit as like the mecca of the automotive industry and related fields. I remember wanting to move there and work in the industry. I the early 90s I think the motor city was doing its thing. Has Detroit really fallen off the mid-west as a dominant city? I don't know much about the mid-west.
Not yet at least, but it's hanging on by a thread.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Not compared to Houston and Dallas. Atlanta influences the south more than any other major city in the southern region, but Houston's influences along the gulf coast (LA, TN, and MI) and Mexico far surpasses Atlanta. Dallas influence spreading out through OK, AR, TN, LA, MI, and in some cases; parts of KS and NM.
Having lived in the South for 36 years and after having actually lived in Houston, I don't feel this "influence" that is claimed. Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Not compared to Houston and Dallas. Atlanta influences the south more than any other major city in the southern region, but Houston's influences along the gulf coast (LA, TN, and MI) and Mexico far surpasses Atlanta. Dallas influence spreading out through OK, AR, TN, LA, MI, and in some cases; parts of KS and NM.
Tennessee and Michigan aren't located along the Gulf Coast.

But I'd say that from my limited perspective, Dallas's and Houston's influences on their surrounding regions are more economic than cultural, while Atlanta's and Miami's influences on their surrounding regions are a bit more cultural than economic. I think Atlanta's status as a "Black mecca" (and I hope and pray no one will start arguing about that again; it is what it is for the purposes of this discussion) and Miami's status as the "capital of Latin America" bolster this point, as they show how much cultural influence the cities have on surrounding areas. Houston and Dallas on the other hand don't really have this level of cultural influence towards specific demographics within the surrounding region in this same way. I didn't say they didn't have ANY cultural influence towards specific demographics in the surrounding level, but just not on the same level as Atlanta and Miami. And that's not a criticism of Houston or Dallas, nor does it make Atlanta and Miami "better" cities. I think for Houston in particular, this is probably the case because of the presence of New Orleans which has a much more noted local culture than Houston.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:44 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

But I'd say that from my limited perspective, Dallas's and Houston's influences on their surrounding regions are more economic than cultural, while Atlanta's and Miami's influences on their surrounding regions are a bit more cultural than economic. I think Atlanta's status as a "Black mecca" (and I hope and pray no one will start arguing about that again; it is what it is for the purposes of this discussion) and Miami's status as the "capital of Latin America" bolster this point, as they show how much cultural influence the cities have on surrounding areas. Houston and Dallas on the other hand don't really have this level of cultural influence towards specific demographics within the surrounding region in this same way. I didn't say they didn't have ANY cultural influence towards specific demographics in the surrounding level, but just not on the same level as Atlanta and Miami. And that's not a criticism of Houston or Dallas, nor does it make Atlanta and Miami "better" cities. I think for Houston in particular, this is probably the case because of the presence of New Orleans which has a much more noted local culture than Houston.

There not a such thing as a Black mecca or Latin Mecca. The only people that hype that nonsense tend to be African Americans. I don't here Hispanics raving at fact that all large cities in the sunbelt they tend to be the largest minority or the majority for that matter. We (black) make up 13.5% percent of the population. Seriously people should chill out with this Mecca crap.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:

I would say it's more or less a particular city than just Texas (or just the Texas Triangle) as a whole has a huge influence on near by states. From my experience, Atlanta and Miami have about as much cultural influence here as they do in California.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:55 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
No way Houston and Dallas influence more.
Atlanta is known for:
CDC
CNN
Tyler Perry Studio's
Coca-Cola
Georgia Tech,Emory University,Morehouse/Spelman,SCAD
Atlanta is NUMBER 1 IN ATTRACTING THE MOST RESIDENTS FROM THE NORTHeast.(Including the Mid Atlantic Region)
just off the top of my head.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM

196 posts, read 614,040 times
Quote:
He meant Mississippi, which is MS, not MI.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No way Houston and Dallas influence more.
Atlanta is known for:
CDC
CNN
Tyler Perry Studio's
Coca-Cola
Georgia Tech,Emory University,Morehouse/Spelman,SCAD
Atlanta is NUMBER 1 IN ATTRACTING THE MOST RESIDENTS FROM THE NORTHeast.(Including the Mid Atlantic Region)
just off the top of my head.
I agree with your point but I'm not sure why that last part matters Dallas, Houston, or Austin are most likely going to be number one cities in attracting people from the West Coast. That has more to do with geography and emigration patterns than it does Atlanta's cultural influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City