Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 02:25 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,946,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Even though I agree that NO is a world unto itself, a lot of people don't realize that the heavy migration/exchange between Houston and New Orleans existed long before Katrina.
You can see this with all the Saints fans in the area now. If the NFL had chosen Houston for this year's Super Bowl instead, it would have become Hou-Dat nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:15 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Yes and No. New Orleans supplies most of the goods to the midwest and mississippi river valley and it's home to the 1st and 8th largest seaports. Plus, where do you all think most of the oil that Houston gets the credit for comes from? The companies moved to Houston, but most of the oil infrastructure stayed here. Many of the oil companies have there white collar in Houston, but the production aspect and blue collar are still here.

We're no longer a Dal/Hou/Atl, but we are more important than we get credit for. I will add that the future is looking increasingly good for us as well.
Well I agree that I believe N.O. will become much better than it ever was,I still have doubts as far as it achieving a status on par economically with ATL/DAL/HOU.Before Katrina it was not quite even in Charlotte's league.No matter how important its oil and seaports are.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,834,996 times
Look at all the snow in Dallas-Fort Worth. A winter wonderland. A foot of snow is expected in some areas of the DFW metropoltian area. So much for global warming I guess.

Posted by member Acntx
snow today Feb 11

Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,298,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well I agree that I believe N.O. will become much better than it ever was,I still have doubts as far as it achieving a status on par economically with ATL/DAL/HOU.Before Katrina it was not quite even in Charlotte's league.No matter how important its oil and seaports are.
I was thinking the same things. NOLA was more on par with Nashville and Memphis economically.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,479,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yeah, if we talk 90's-present (I know that's all that matters here right now, but I'm just saying). Compare NO to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston 25 years ago. They basically grew past it, Houston at NOLA's expense. Thanks to the oil bust and some shady politics (both state and fed). Louisiana's economy basically ran to Houston like a hurricane was coming. IMO, if it wasn't for the political aspect, NOLA would be a much denser version of what Houston is today.

Reality: NOLA went from the very top to being so low that it can't go any other way but up. All cities will go through that phase (maybe not as extreme).

Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Look at all the snow in Dallas-Fort Worth. A winter wonderland. A foot of snow is expected in some areas of the DFW metropoltian area. So much for global warming I guess.

Posted by member Acntx
snow today Feb 11
R U serious? If anything, receiving heavy snowfall down south is evidence in favor global warming, not against it.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Yeah, if we talk 90's-present (I know that's all that matters here right now, but I'm just saying). Compare NO to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston 25 years ago. They basically grew past it, Houston at NOLA's expense. Thanks to the oil bust and some shady politics (both state and fed). Louisiana's economy basically ran to Houston like a hurricane was coming. IMO, if it wasn't for the political aspect, NOLA would be a much denser version of what Houston is today.

Reality: NOLA went from the very top to being so low that it can't go any other way but up. All cities will go through that phase (maybe not as extreme).
I remember when this was going on.

A lot of the new/fairly new office buildings on Poydras seemed to almost empty out at the same time. It seemed like it happened very fast - from a casual observer that made frequent visits back then.

I still miss Maison Blanche.......

Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Historical note:

Delaware has always been on the NORTHERN or Pennsylvanian side of the Mason-Dixon line.

Right and Delaware is actually EAST of Maryland and DC, not North, which shows you how foolish that Mason-Dixon line nonsense is in the 21st century. The Potomac river is more of a natural divide between north and south and it even looks like the midway point on a map. Better than some imaginary line from 1840.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,479,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I remember when this was going on.

A lot of the new/fairly new office buildings on Poydras seemed to almost empty out at the same time. It seemed like it happened very fast - from a casual observer that made frequent visits back then.

I still miss Maison Blanche.......
It really did. Everything, just went to Houston. The building Shell built in Houston is nearly identical to their building here.

Ah.. Maison Blanche, memories. It eventually became Dillard's.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
It really did. Everything, just went to Houston. The building Shell built in Houston is nearly identical to their building here.

Ah.. Maison Blanche, memories. It eventually became Dillard's.
Yep. If I'm not mistaken, One Shell Plaza was taller than anything in Atlanta until the Westin was built.

My first visit to Nola was during the oil BOOM of the mid-late 70's. I was ready to move there almost on arrival!

My Mom was a Tulane grad, so I had heard so many wonderful stories over the years. Sadly, I haven't been down there since Katrina.

As far as MB now being Dillard's, I know. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City