Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times

Advertisements

Does your city have a lot of otherwise similar ethnic groups/races/nationalities that have very different reputations?

I'm talking about instances like Puerto Rican immigrants viewed very negatively and Cuban-Americans viewed relatively positively (both of which seem true). Do you notice anything like that where you live?

In Los Angeles, there are large Persian (Iranian) and Armenian immigrant communities, but based on my observations people think of them quite differently. People view Persians as wealthier, white-collar, educated, and honest. On the other hand, it seems like Armenians are viewed as dishonest, prone to criminal behavior (particularly gangs), materialistic, and low class. Being called "Armenian" is kind of like being called "Mexican", it's never a compliment. This seems strange because Iran and Armenia are bordering countries and unless you are familiar with both cultures, they seem quite similar.

What are your observations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Does your city have a lot of otherwise similar ethnic groups/races/nationalities that have very different reputations?

I'm talking about instances like Puerto Rican immigrants viewed very negatively and Cuban-Americans viewed relatively positively (both of which seem true). Do you notice anything like that where you live?

In Los Angeles, there are large Persian (Iranian) and Armenian immigrant communities, but based on my observations people think of them quite differently. People view Persians as wealthier, white-collar, educated, and honest. On the other hand, it seems like Armenians are viewed as dishonest, prone to criminal behavior (particularly gangs), materialistic, and low class. Being called "Armenian" is kind of like being called "Mexican", it's never a compliment. This seems strange because Iran and Armenia are bordering countries and unless you are familiar with both cultures, they seem quite similar.

What the are you talking about? I grew up in the San Fernando Valley (where many Persians and Armenians lived), and people generally viewed Persians and Armenians as generally the same.

Second of all, many Armenians are from Iran, and came to the United States after the 1979 Iranian Revolution, just like many Persian Jews came to the US after the revolution. Many of the 'Iranian Americans' in Los Angeles are in fact, either Armenians are Jews, or have no religion.
Iranian Armenians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Persian Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:IAmericanreligions.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The culture of the Iranian plateau, and Armenia are also very very different. Historically, the Iranian plateau was populated with pastoral nomads, while Armenian Christians were historically either farmers or were the urban merchant class. This had an effect on their respective cultures.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
What the are you talking about? I grew up in the San Fernando Valley (where many Persians and Armenians lived), and people generally viewed Persians and Armenians as generally the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Second of all, many Armenians are from Iran, and came to the United States after the 1979 Iranian Revolution, just like many Persian Jews came to the US after the revolution. Many of the 'Iranian Americans' in Los Angeles are in fact, either Armenians are Jews, or have no religion.
Iranian Armenians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Persian Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:IAmericanreligions.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The culture of the Iranian plateau, and Armenia are also very very different. Historically, the Iranian plateau was populated with pastoral nomads, while Armenian Christians were historically either farmers or were the urban merchant class. This had an effect on their respective cultures.
Perhaps my experience has just been different from yours? People I talk to seem to think less of Armenians for some reason. Hell, even my brother who has never set foot in L.A. knew that Armenians had a reputation for being incredibly shallow and materialistic based on what ex-Angelenos who work with him have told him. Based on my observations, people think all Armenians are like Kim Kardashian and family. Even look in their portrayal in the media, like the show "Weeds". The only Armenians portrayed are gangsters.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
The Mexicans and Puerto Ricans here consider themselves different enough that they too often take to shooting each other.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Mexicans and Puerto Ricans here consider themselves different enough that they too often take to shooting each other.
They shoot each other because of gang rivalries, not ethnic tension....

Some people might assume that Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are similar, but in reality they aren't the same at all. Like white Americans vs. white Australians or South Africans. They both speak dialects of Spanish and they are both traditionally Catholic, and the similarities stop there.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
They shoot each other because of gang rivalries, not ethnic tension....
Around here they're frequently one in the same.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:20 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post

My observation is that every city seems to have more than its fair share of ignorant, narrow-minded bigots who view entire ethnic groups as being "wealthier, white-collar, educated, and honest" or "dishonest, prone to criminal behavior (particularly gangs), materialistic, and low class". People who make such generalizations are typically very ignorant about the groups they are stereotyping.

As for Persians and Armenians, there are some cultural similarities but they are mostly different. Persians are mostly Muslim, Armenians are Christians (and historically always have been). Most Persians come from Iran, whereas most Armenians come from Armenia/Russia/other former Soviet states, Lebanon/Syria/the Levant, and, to a lesser extent, Iran. Therefore, most Armenians in L.A. are going to be culturally much more similar to Russians or Levantine Arabs; it is a smaller minority of them from Iran that would have anything in common with Iran.

But how those cultural backgrounds translate into wealth, social status/class, education, honesty (!!!), or other superficial traits that vary from person to person regardless of ethnicity.

I also find it odd that a Californian, of anyone, would ignore the contributions of prominent Armenians to the US, particularly since so many of them are in and from California. There are so many Armenian-Americans that have contributed to American society that I don't know how you single out the Kardashians as being representative of Armenians while ignoring the many, many others. That's like singling out Paris Hilton who is of Irish ancestry (part) and saying "Irish Americans are seen as shallow, materialistic, etc. just like Paris Hilton who is Irish American."

Here are just some Armenian-Americans (not bad for low class people, huh):

Val Avery, character actor
Ross Bagdasarian, Sr.,was an American pianist, singer, songwriter, actor and record producer.
Adrienne Barbeau, 1980s actress
Eric Bogosian, playwright and performance artist
Mike Connors, television actor
Miranda Cosgrove, actress known for iCarly and Drake and Josh
Arlene Francis, actress
Andrea Martin, comedienne
Eddie Mekka, actor Laverne and Shirley
Larry Gagosian- art dealer
Arshile Gorky, painter
Alex Yemenidjian- Former CEO of MGM Studios
Alex Manoogian, Founder of Masco Corporation
Alex Seropian, Founder of Bungie Studios
Arthur T. Gregorian, noted oriental rug merchant and author
Avedis Zildjian, Founder of Zildjian Cybals
George Duran, chef and entertainer
Armen Keteyian, Chief Investigative Correspondent for CBS News
Mark Geragos, defense attorney
Hughes Brothers, directors
Howard Kazanjian, producer (Star Wars)
Deran Sarafian, director of CSI Miami, 8 episodes, 2002-2004
Ross Bagdasarian, record producer and songwriter, also known as David Seville of The Chipmunks
Cher
Serj Tankian, and all of the band "System of a Down"
George Deukmejian, Republican politician, the thirty-fifth Governor of California (1983-1991), and a former California Attorney General (1979-1983).
Paul Robert Ignatius, Secretary of the Navy during the Johnson Administration
Paul Krekorian, California State Assemblyman
Charles Pashayan, Republican Congressman from Fresno, California
Jackie Speier, Democratic politician
Joe Simitian, California State Senator
John E. Sweeney, Congressman
Harry Tutunjian, mayor of Troy, New York
Larry Zarian, former mayor of Glendale, California
James P. Bagian, astronaut
Raymond V. Damadian, MRI Pioneer
Trent Edwards, NFL Quarterback
Andre Agassi, tennis player
Steve Bedrosian, 1987 Cy Young Award winner for the Philadelphia Phillies
Zach Bogosian, (1990-) professional ice hockey defenseman who currently plays for the Atlanta Thrashers of the National Hockey League. Drafted 3rd overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Alecko Eskandarian, (1982-) professional soccer player in Major League Soccer, playing for D.C. United[19]
Andranik Eskandarian, soccer player
Chuck Essegian, (1931-) baseball player, Member of 1959 World champion L.A. Dodgers.
Tim Kurkjian, (1956-) ESPN analyst
Pete Mangurian, offensive line coach of Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Vanes Martirosyan, boxer
Ara Parseghian, (1923) Notre Dame head football coach
Steve Sarkisian, University of Washington head football coach
Jerry Tarkanian, college basketball coach
Garo Yepremian, NFL kicker 1966-1981; a member of the 1972 undefeated Miami Dolphins team.
Peter Balakian, poet, writer and academic
Chris Bohjalian, novelist
Aram Saroyan, internationally acclaimed novelist
William Saroyan, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright, author

Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
My observation is that every city seems to have more than its fair share of ignorant, narrow-minded bigots who view entire ethnic groups as being "wealthier, white-collar, educated, and honest" or "dishonest, prone to criminal behavior (particularly gangs), materialistic, and low class". People who make such generalizations are typically very ignorant about the groups they are stereotyping.
I agree with you, and I am very curious where this perception comes from (or as the other poster pointed out, perhaps I am mistaken that this perception exists at all. I've only been in L.A. for a couple years and perhaps the people I know who do promote these beliefs are part of a minority).

Quote:
As for Persians and Armenians, there are some cultural similarities but they are mostly different. Persians are mostly Muslim, Armenians are Christians (and historically always have been). Most Persians come from Iran, whereas most Armenians come from Armenia/Russia/other former Soviet states, Lebanon/Syria/the Levant, and, to a lesser extent, Iran. Therefore, most Armenians in L.A. are going to be culturally much more similar to Russians or Levantine Arabs; it is a smaller minority of them from Iran that would have anything in common with Iran.
Like I said, I think people who are unfamiliar with either culture may view them as being similar. Kind of like how people think that all Latin Americans are all the same until you actually know someone from Mexico and another from El Salvador and another from Argentina.

Quote:
I also find it odd that a Californian, of anyone, would ignore the contributions of prominent Armenians to the US, particularly since so many of them are in and from California. There are so many Armenian-Americans that have contributed to American society that I don't know how you single out the Kardashians as being representative of Armenians while ignoring the many, many others. That's like singling out Paris Hilton who is of Irish ancestry (part) and saying "Irish Americans are seen as shallow, materialistic, etc. just like Paris Hilton who is Irish American."
Kind of like people viewing all Italian-Americans as acting and talking like the people on Jersey Shore. I hope it's clear that I, personally, don't try to perpetuate this perception. Even IF it was possible to make broad generalizations about an entire ethnic group like Armenian-Americans, I don't know enough of them to make one. I'm merely talking about what I hear from people who are native Angelenos and wonder if such a phenomenon exists in other cities.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
In Dallas, the Mexicans and Salvadorans are percieved as the same, but they are quite different cultures.

The food for one is extremely different. Salvi's dont eat spicy food. For the record I like Salvadoran food better.

I Los Angeles, Israelis and Persians are sometimes lumped together. The reason is that most Persians in Los Angeles are Jewish and they socialize alot with the Israeli community in the Valley, Brentwood, and Beverly Hills.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Agreed. I use to live near Pontiac, MI where there are these two groups and they definitely couldn't stand each other. That was almost twenty years ago so hopefully it is better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City