Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:57 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,006 times

Advertisements

The water being cold would be somewhat of a hurdle, but otherwise they could just move the games to the fall like they did for Sydney games (with a different reason, yeah, but it could still be done). Just thought it was odd no one really mentioned that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Impoverished?

Yes, they are too poor and slum infested.

How can a city be "slippery?"
Although Pittsburgh has great hills, those same slopes make for treacherous travel during the winter for spectators.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It would be cool for the winter games to be in Lake Placid again. I'm going to play in the Empire state games there for hockey in a couple weeks. Never been up there and looking forward to it.
I did the empire state summer games a few times. It is by far the best of all the multi-sport games. had a total blast and walked away with a few medals.

Back then Hockey was a part of the summer program since their wear no winter games. Needless to say ice rinks were very popular places to relax and watch some great games in the summer heat.

There were some great rivalries too. Long Island vs. Central NY in hockey and lacrosse were classic match ups. I always thought it was funny that the Hockey, wrestling, lacrosse and rowing teams would always "bond" and hangout together and support each other at their events

Actually got to see Mike Tyson fight as an amateur.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 AM

Expect the IOC to award summer games to true cosmopolitan cities such as NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, LA, Boston, San Diego or Seattle.

the IOC has been less discriminating in awarding Winter Games. So if any city has a decent winter sports infrastructure, they could be a contender.

And for any games to be awarded to the US, the USOC and IOC need to end their feud.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-10-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 02-10-2010, 08:26 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I did the empire state summer games a few times. It is by far the best of all the multi-sport games. had a total blast and walked away with a few medals.

Back then Hockey was a part of the summer program since their wear no winter games. Needless to say ice rinks were very popular places to relax and watch some great games in the summer heat.

There were some great rivalries too. Long Island vs. Central NY in hockey and lacrosse were classic match ups. I always thought it was funny that the Hockey, wrestling, lacrosse and rowing teams would always "bond" and hangout together and support each other at their events

Actually got to see Mike Tyson fight as an amateur.

There's Ice hockey in the summer Empire state games, but it's high school level. I played in the summer games in Ice hockey in 2001 when I was going into my senior year. But that's cool you played in them too They were a lot of fun. I hope these adult winter games are as much fun as when I was 17. Just 2 weeks away

Old 02-10-2010, 10:23 AM

59 posts, read 134,049 times
Atlanta and La won't get it in a long long time because they had it recently.

I think it will be Boston,Ny,San Fran, Philly or Chicago to get them in 2020!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:33 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englishamericandreamer15 View Post
I heard Boston was seeing if they could do it and I hope they do!!
Yes, I was thinking Boston would be a great venue as well. I do hope Chicago gets another shot at it; I love that city.
I doubt that either Dallas or Houston would be in the running, since a similar Sunbelt city (Atlanta) had it less than two decades ago.
Perhaps Miami's international flavor would entice the IOC.
Here's an off-the wall idea...why not Detroit? God knows there's plenty of inner city space to create an Olympic Village et al, and it would be a great opportunity for the city to show the world its positive aspects. Moreover, it might re-instill a sense of pride in a beleaguered city.
Same comment above goes for New Orleans.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM

Atlanta messed things up for most southern cities. Don't expect any IOC bid.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
The olymics are way overrated... I would much rather host a super bowl

Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
The olymics are way overrated... I would much rather host a super bowl
I agree...but the Olympics did great things for the city of ATL...the city was virtually put on the map as a international city after the Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City