Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I agree...but the Olympics did great things for the city of ATL...the city was virtually put on the map as a international city after the Olympics.

Regarding which city is best for the olympics.... it is whichever city can bet buy off the committee with perks (see Salt Lake City and others)

The IOC is a completely corrupt organization and would not want my city to host the olympics and deal with that organization...

but anyways...

If a city wants these games, then there is no reason why any of the major cosmopolitan cities (NY, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Boston, Miami) can't do it. (Listing the cities in the US that have not had the summer games yet)

Winter is obviously limited as you need mountains and snow... Denver would work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
If the Olympics are allowed to use their training centers for the actual event then San Diego could be a good choice for the summer olympics seeing as it already has Olympic training facilities in one of the suburbs.

map of the ARCO Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista:

Google Maps

But I'm not sure a metro of SD's size has ever held one, it seems a bit on the small side with regards to population for hosting this event. The small airport might be an issue too. Other than that I think it could easily handle an Olympics as it's hosted three Super Bowls before. Plus being on an international border kind of adds to the international image of the games and maybe they could do some cross-border events.

For winter I think Denver would be the best city in the US to host it. Also maybe some northeast cities like Buffalo, it could do a lot to revitalize this city. I prefer cities that host the Winter Olympics to be somewhat snowy cities that usually have snow on the ground in winter, which is why I don't care too much for Vancouver hosting it. The area around it is great for winter sports but the city doesn't really look like a typical Winter Olympics city imo due to the relatively mild winters in the city itself.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If the Olympics are allowed to use their training centers for the actual event then San Diego could be a good choice for the summer olympics seeing as it already has Olympic training facilities in one of the suburbs.

map of the ARCO Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista:

Google Maps

But I'm not sure a metro of SD's size has ever held one, it seems a bit on the small side with regards to population for hosting this event. The small airport might be an issue too. Other than that I think it could easily handle an Olympics as it's hosted three Super Bowls before. Plus being on an international border kind of adds to the international image of the games and maybe they could do some cross-border events.

For winter I think Denver would be the best city in the US to host it. Also maybe some northeast cities like Buffalo, it could do a lot to revitalize this city. I prefer cities that host the Winter Olympics to be somewhat snowy cities that usually have snow on the ground in winter, which is why I don't care too much for Vancouver hosting it. The area around it is great for winter sports but the city doesn't really look like a typical Winter Olympics city imo due to the relatively mild winters in the city itself.
Yeah but Vancouver is a lot closer to where the games are being held in the mountains than Denver would be to ski areas around there.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
I don't think people realize how far away Denver is from the mountains and major ski resorts...

Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Yeah but Vancouver is a lot closer to where the games are being held in the mountains than Denver would be to ski areas around there.
How do you figure? Whistler is nearly 2 hours from Vancouver. Not a significant difference between that and the resorts outside of Denver at all, some CO resorts are actually closer to Denver than Whistler is to Vancouver.

Last edited by sav858; 02-10-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Atlanta messed things up for most southern cities. Don't expect any IOC bid.
sad but true.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
How do you figure? Whistler is nearly 2 hours from Vancouver. Not a significant difference between that and the resorts outside of Denver at all.
Whistler is about the same distance from Vancouver as Winter Park is from Denver...(though with the new highway I made it to Whistler from Vancouver this summer is a lot less time--under an hour and half--than it took me in the past). Vancouver is holding snowboarding and freestyle skiing at Cypress Mountain which is about 20 minutes from Vancouver, though the rest of the outdoors events are in Whistler.

Denver is probably the obvious choice for a US city to be considered for the 2022 games---since the finalists for 2018 are Annecy, France--Munich, Germany, and Pyeongchang, South Korea. Denver seems to be always mentioned as a potential host city after winning but declining the 1976 games. And they've got plenty of potential locations for events in the Rockies. Beaver Creek was basically built as a venue for the 1976 games. I've heard Reno-Tahoe being mentioned as well, which would be a great location although it's hard to imagine California allowing the construction of new facilities in the Lake Tahoe region.

The Winter Games is basically limited to areas with mountains and ski areas large enough to host World Cup caliber alpine skiing events--meaning outside of the Western US you'd basically be looking at possibly New England or upstate New York. And Lake Placid's already had it twice...

Any place with large enough ski area in the US willing to invest in the venues for the games could be candidates(Montana, Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, etc)...Outside of places that have already held the games in the US are there any locations with already constructed bobsled tracks and ski jumps suitable for the Olympics... Hell, Squaw Valley hosted the games in 1960 and didn't even build a bobsled track--and tore down their ski jump years ago.

Personally, I think New Mexico, maybe Santa Fe/Taos would be an interesting site for the games...you'd have the Southwestern culture on display, while Taos has great ski slopes. Anchorage, Alaska would be a cool choice as well, although you'd probably have to have the games in March to maximize daylight for events.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
How do you figure? Whistler is nearly 2 hours from Vancouver. Not a significant difference between that and the resorts outside of Denver at all, some CO resorts are actually closer to Denver than Whistler is to Vancouver.
Some places like Cypress mountain which is hosting part of the games (I think snowboarding and freestyle skiing) is 30 mins from downtown.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Atlanta messed things up for most southern cities. Don't expect any IOC bid.
Awwww

Old 02-15-2010, 03:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times

D A L L A S
for summer - because Fair Park (built for the 1936 Texas Centennial and World's Fair) is perfect for the event:

State of Texas Building, Dallas Texas, 1936 Texas Centennial Exposition.

Scotty Moore - Ellis Auditorium

Lots of good photos in this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...tructures.html

Last edited by Lakewooder; 02-15-2010 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City