Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best downtown?
Seattle 28 20.14%
Portland 6 4.32%
San Francisco 88 63.31%
Los Angeles 11 7.91%
San Diego 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,288,527 times

Advertisements

Why even make this thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,284,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I wouldn't call Seattle the easy number 2. Having been to both Seattle and Portland I think you could make a good argument for either city. I think Seattle's great, but I thought Portland was better in the downtown area. I don't see how someone could say Seattle's the "easy number 2" and follow it up by saying they haven't been to Portland.
I was going by what friends who live in both have told me, and frankly, by size.

I know I would love Portland, and perhaps I'll feel differently once I've been.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:23 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I was going by what friends who live in both have told me, and frankly, by size.

I know I would love Portland, and perhaps I'll feel differently once I've been.
That's fair. It's just hard to know for sure until visiting. I sort of wrote Portland off as "just hype" until I visited. I like the feel and scale better than Seattle's downtown area.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
of the big city west coast downtowns i've been to, i'd rank them as following:

1. San Francisco
2. Los Angeles (not too far from SF in terms of vibrancy and bustle, etc, especially in parts such as Broadway, but DT LA is a bit smaller and less busy/walkable overall than DT SF)
3. Oakland/San Diego (very close on DT LA's heels in my opinion, though obviously on smaller scales)
4. San Jose/Sacramento (neither are bad at all, and have plenty to offer but get smacked down comparatively...Downtown SJ in particular has a very nice vibe that i like. It's been a long time since i spent any time in downtown sac though, so i could be off for them)

Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
SF # 1 by a long long way, it is the only city on the west coast that can compare to the downtowns of the NE or Chicago.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
San Fran first, then Seattle, then L.A.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:05 PM

215 posts, read 471,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
SF # 1 by a long long way, it is the only city on the west coast that can compare to the downtowns of the NE or Chicago.

I like how like to protend the northeastern cities set the standard.

There are more downtown than just NYC, Boston, and Philly. There are probably more downtowns in the northeast that are falling apart most so than on the west coast.

I would say San Francisco, but I can't say its by a long shot above the rest. It's would be hard to agree with most on which one in number 2 as it really just depends on what interest a person. Personally I like what is happening in LA.

LA may not have all of the chain stores, and in some parts it can be edgey and other parts just down right gritty. Yet there are few downtown's in the US (yes I said it) that have the vibrancy, and the foot traffic you encounter in the downtown area. Go to the Fashion District, or down on Broadway, then be honest and tell me if you see that kind of traffic or hustle and bustle.

I can't think of really any, other than of course the obvious NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and perhaps Philly. BTW I do like Seattle downtown, and it reminds me a bit of San Francisco's but a bit cleaner overall.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM

215 posts, read 471,384 times
I wanted to reply with a second response regarding many other downtowns on the west coast that haven't been mentioned but a a bit smaller, but no less important.

Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, Long Beach, Beverly Hills I would rate as some of the top downtown's on the west coast. There are others as well I didn't mentioned. I believe too many of these would most likely put some eastern cities of similar size downtown's to shame.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:26 PM

25 posts, read 38,602 times
Voted for Seattle, because it's been my home for 20 years. And in recent years its DT is definitely gaining 'livability'.
As for SF, it is great, but unreal in the meaning of who can afford living there?! What's the use of voting for a dream?..

#2 is Portland.
P.S. In my opinion, Vancouver BC is the best on the West coast, but it is still Canadian ;-)

Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,199,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimanet View Post
Voted for Seattle, because it's been my home for 20 years. And in recent years its DT is definitely gaining 'livability'.
As for SF, it is great, but unreal in the meaning of who can afford living there?! What's the use of voting for a dream?..
Funny you say that, because two of SF's poorest neighborhoods are in downtown SF (the Tenderloin and Chinatown). Downtown SF has people from every walk of life you could imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City