U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM

3,517 posts, read 11,808,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
If I am reading the first map correctly, western Oregon and Washington are shaded in green, as is England and France. The actual Mediterranean geographical area is shaded in yellow.
From the map, the hot Central CA valley region is in yellow as are the hotter parts of the Mediterranean. Places like northern Portugal to SW France are in the same climate classification as W OR to the Cascades. We like to say Mediterranean climate but as the map shows, there are several subclimates that make up the Mediterranean region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM

15,706 posts, read 34,748,655 times
I use to live in Portland, Oregon...and never used an umbrella. I love the drizzle. You don't get wet, you just feel refreshed, and everything is very lush.

I've been thinking of the Pacific Northwest again...I always preferred OREGON...but I am a bit attracted to Seattle as it is quite a bit more international and larger of a real city. After having lived in large major cities the last ten years, I am unsure if I could go back to a Portland.

So, the Seattle you bring an umbrella....kinda rubs me the wrong way. I loved walking around Portland with that mist. It always seemed like when I did go up to Seattle, the weather was always a bit harsher. Harder rain, more snow, more rain-guards around because the rain was a bit harder - all in feeling - I can't state any hard stats to back any of that up.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM

9,599 posts, read 17,729,380 times
I have heard seattle & portlands climate is similar to the london,england climate. The avg rainfall in so.ca is less then half of the pacific nw.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 34,748,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I have heard seattle & portlands climate is similar to the london,england climate. The avg rainfall in so.ca is less then half of the pacific nw.
I've heard that reference as well...

But...I had a trip to London and Dublin a few years back...and I distinctly remember being in Dublin and just having this chill to the bone...just cold..and it was JUNE.

I don't know if London gets that same damp chilled-to-the-bone feeling or not...but I never noticed or remember having that feeling in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:16 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,049,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
If I am reading the first map correctly, western Oregon and Washington are shaded in green, as is England and France. The actual Mediterranean geogrphical area is shaded in yellow.
Apparently you're not reading it correctly. The only part of the Northwest shaded green is the Olympic peninsula of Washington (and a spot or two in the Washington Cascades). The rest is the brownish-yellow color (Csb) which extends down the length of the west coast. In Europe, the only areas classed similarly are northern Portugal, central Spain, the South of France, and an area of central southern Italy.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,465 times
Okay let me break it down... Portland - warm to hot summers, averages around 80 to 83. WILL get prolonged heatwaves, reaches 90+ F about 15 to 20 times a summer. Portland gets the east wind, which can/will be HOT in the summer, and the potential for bitter COLD in the winter at times. But for the most part, Portland experiences very mild winters. Seattle - warm summer, averages around 74 to 76, doesn't really get the heatwaves, reaches 90+ F about 5 times a year. Seattle is influenced by the ocean, so it is much more moderate, cooler summers, and has extremely milder winters for how far north it is. Doesn't really get HOT or COLD in Seattle, very temperate. Rain is about the same for both cities.In a nutshell, Portland's weather is a little more "exciting" than Seattle. -NW Native for 26 years

Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 AM

796 posts, read 1,337,748 times
Default wet and soggy

the difference in the climates of western oregon and the mediterranean, also have to do with soggyness. the soil here holds a lot of water, it does NOT drain, making a lot of mud and moisture. it is really wet when it is wet, and then the sun doesn't come out and dry things and make you smile that much here. the clouds linger for days.

as for umbrellas, hey, i came from north of here, grew up in the pdx / portland area. And I would rather use one if i have to walk in the rain. but i don't, i drive. cars are essential here unless you like to be a soggy mess.

the problem with pdx as opposed to seattle: temperature extremes and very quick changes. you can have 63 degrees on one summer day, then 90 the next. or 60 degrees in january, then 25 with a foot of snow and ice in february. i hate it. seattle is less of the two extremes of high and low temps. but pretty wet.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:26 AM

796 posts, read 1,337,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've heard that reference as well...

But...I had a trip to London and Dublin a few years back...and I distinctly remember being in Dublin and just having this chill to the bone...just cold..and it was JUNE.

I don't know if London gets that same damp chilled-to-the-bone feeling or not...but I never noticed or remember having that feeling in the Pacific Northwest.

you know that's funny. i grew up here, but lived in louisiana for a few months when i was about 20. then when i came home, it was midsummer, and 65 degrees here in the willamette valley. it felt cold to me then, because it had been 95 all summer down south. like never able to warm up here. that was way back, long long long before el nino.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,258 times
The weather in Seattle is overcast and rain 24/7 from November 1 through June. You basically get 3 months of decent weather. That's a deal breaker for me.

Also the real estate is way too pricey and the 1990 Growth Management Act ensures that any house 20 years old or newer has no yard (another deal breaker). Any house with a yard is way out in the county beyond a reasonable commute, or in Seattle proper and unobtainable or an expensive dump; again, deal breaker.

I much preper the midwest or southern parts of the east coast: better weather, less attitude, and higher standard of living, fantastic houses that don't cost millions.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,258 times
In Seattle you need 2 coats in the summer - one for the cold and one for rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City