Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:50 AM

15 posts, read 61,620 times

Advertisements

Im wondering which one of these cities would best suit me.Im a laid back,suburban guy but I love to party.Which place has the best nightlife,dating scene for a single man,and lower cost of living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
Indy has a very low cost of living compared to Portland. Dating wise I don't have a clue because I've never dated any women in either place.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,214 times
This is a strange comparison. Indy and Portland couldn't be more different, did you throw 2 darts at a map or something? Mountains vs flat land. Light rail vs no system. Endless rain vs 4 seasons. Liberal politics vs conservative politics. Hippies vs insurance agents. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
This is a strange comparison. Indy and Portland couldn't be more different, did you throw 2 darts at a map or something? Mountains vs flat land. Light rail vs no system. Endless rain vs 4 seasons. Liberal politics vs conservative politics. Hippies vs insurance agents. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.
If the two criterion listed is the only aspects of living that he's concerned about in a new community then I would have to say it is far from being a cut and dry decision. Portland is a fairly expensive place to live while Indy is inexpensive. I've been to Portland but never dated and cannot comment about whether or not it is a better place to meet single women.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:50 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,242 times
Indy is cheaper,but Portland is the place for you. Definitely a laid back vibe in Portland but also a great bar/music/party scene. It's a great young progressive city that's going nowhere but uphill and the dating scene is great I hear,I can't compare it to Indy though,as I've also never dated in that city. Better public trans and an overall better downtown with beautiful surroundings IMO make it a more desirable place to live. And Indianapolis get's more rain on average than Portland,so ignore that comment on 'endless rain'.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:22 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,301 times
I dont see how anyone could compare these 2 cities. Comparing Indy to Columbus OH or St. Louis--yes. But not Portland. Therefore I would be of no help, even though I grew up in Indy and like it.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,918,957 times
If you are planning to move to Portland in the near future, you need to have a job lined up first.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:04 PM

92 posts, read 351,159 times
I can respond to this thread as I'm from the Seattle area, but have ventured down to Portland numerous times, and..., I am currently attending graduate school in the downtown Indianapolis area.

I have to say that if you like four seasons, hot muggy humid summer, cool crisp fall, cold nasty windy winters, and mild awesome spring time, then Indy is the right place for you.

In terms of dating, I would say Portland is a more open-minded city because I'm a minority person. Indianapolis may have decent people, but compared to Portland babes, Indy girls may seem conservative when it comes to IR dating, marriages, etc.

Portland is not really more expensive than living in Indianapolis area. If you are looking at the very nice areas in Indianapolis, such as Carmel or Fishers, I think the house prices are the same as the nice parts of Portland. Downtown Indy rent is also MORE expensive than what my relatives pay to rent an apartment in Portland. I kid you not!

Portland is more "green" conscious and what I also like about Portland people, despite the bitter rivalry between Washington State & Oregon, is that they're very health conscious. There are measures in the legislation to halt or ban smoking in and near buildings, which includes bars, night clubs, restaurants and other gathering places. Here in INdianapolis you ask? People here smoke as if it's second nature! There is still currently a bill in the Indianapolis city and county legislation that will ban smoking in all buildings. But guess what? you have people here grumbling about "gubermin takin' away our rights to smoke" and other stupid laughable excuses you can think of. I really dislike hearing those excuses probably because I'm more health conscious and grew up in Seattle rather than amongst smoking hoosiers.

Anyhow, hope that helps, that's if you're still around reading the thread, mister OP.

Lastly, since you like to party, you can always check out Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis. It's near Butler University and that's THE COLLEGE town of Indianapolis. I've been to some of their night clubs, and it's comparable at the levels to those in L.A. and Chicago - at least the ones I've been to. I don't know much about the college town atmosphere in Portland. Except for Portland State Univ and other smaller junior/community colleges in Portland.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
I can respond to this thread as I'm from the Seattle area, but have ventured down to Portland numerous times, and..., I am currently attending graduate school in the downtown Indianapolis area.

I have to say that if you like four seasons, hot muggy humid summer, cool crisp fall, cold nasty windy winters, and mild awesome spring time, then Indy is the right place for you.

In terms of dating, I would say Portland is a more open-minded city because I'm a minority person. Indianapolis may have decent people, but compared to Portland babes, Indy girls may seem conservative when it comes to IR dating, marriages, etc.

Portland is not really more expensive than living in Indianapolis area. If you are looking at the very nice areas in Indianapolis, such as Carmel or Fishers, I think the house prices are the same as the nice parts of Portland. Downtown Indy rent is also MORE expensive than what my relatives pay to rent an apartment in Portland. I kid you not!

Portland is more "green" conscious and what I also like about Portland people, despite the bitter rivalry between Washington State & Oregon, is that they're very health conscious. There are measures in the legislation to halt or ban smoking in and near buildings, which includes bars, night clubs, restaurants and other gathering places. Here in INdianapolis you ask? People here smoke as if it's second nature! There is still currently a bill in the Indianapolis city and county legislation that will ban smoking in all buildings. But guess what? you have people here grumbling about "gubermin takin' away our rights to smoke" and other stupid laughable excuses you can think of. I really dislike hearing those excuses probably because I'm more health conscious and grew up in Seattle rather than amongst smoking hoosiers.

Anyhow, hope that helps, that's if you're still around reading the thread, mister OP.

Lastly, since you like to party, you can always check out Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis. It's near Butler University and that's THE COLLEGE town of Indianapolis. I've been to some of their night clubs, and it's comparable at the levels to those in L.A. and Chicago - at least the ones I've been to. I don't know much about the college town atmosphere in Portland. Except for Portland State Univ and other smaller junior/community colleges in Portland.
Housing prices in Portland are substantially higher than Indianapolis. Use Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® and search each city and its suburbs to get an accurate picture of the housing prices. Condos in the Portland area are relatively cheap, but if you want a single family with a lot you'll have to pay substantially more money in the Portland area than Indy.

I'm not a smoker and never have been. I fully support the right of an individual to decide whether or not he or she wants to smoke. I simply avoid establishments that allow smoking. I don't have to spend money and support an establishment like that but the owners of that business have the right to decide what kind of clientele they'd like to serve. It's a shame these fascist laws are finding their way into Indianapolis.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM

72 posts, read 142,206 times
Live in Oregon, grew up in Indy and still have relatives there. Have visited Indy many times recently, as recent as last summer, and noticed grocery prices there are higher than Oregon. I shop here at Fred Meyer and there's a Kroger near Indy relative's house - Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger, so they have identical stuff and Kroger is significantly higher than Fred.

You'll pay more in utilities in Indy, which has colder winters and hotter summers. Oregon is fairly temperate, don't need air conditioning and heating is much less used.

As for partying, Indy parties like Republicans and Portland parties like, well, let's just say it's quite a bit different. I don't really know how to compare them except to say I have a lot more fun in Portland than Indy. Plus, Oregon, and Portland especially, is microbrew heaven.

Housing prices are much higher, across the board, in Oregon. You can find decent places in Portland in the suburbs, as in outside the beltline, for maybe $200k, maybe. Expect more like $250k I think. You get more house for the money in Indy, but figure in utilities. Don't know about the taxes in Indy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City