U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 09:43 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,709,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
To me some of the definition of "backwards" sounds more like "unfriendly."

I'd think "backwards" would mean more lack of modern amenities and widespread popular ignorance of the contemporary. The Fundamentalist Mormon town I meant, or an Amish village, would be more what I'd call backward. Or that town with the segregated prom.

A place that hates strangers and people different isn't necessarily backward. Many college science faculties don't like to be bothered and look down on the English teachers, I don't think this makes them backward.

Good post, I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,197,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Because we're one of the few cities that don't rely on cars?
Are you sure you know what you're talking about? I saw many cars the last time I was in Manhattan.

Quote:
I think backwards means places stuck in the past as far as technology and socially.
I don't think time has anything to do with it.

Living in tiny little boxes in a sea of concrete, using the fruits of your labor to buy things that demonstrate your status, scurrying about among masses of strangers with no acknowledgement of one another; these are backwards ways of living.

Quote:
Like a place that discriminates towards gays, blacks, etc.
Places don't discriminate, people do.

Gays and blacks are just two groups among many, which have the potential to be discriminated against.

People in Manhattan and San Francisco discriminate just as much as anyone else, so this is a nonfactor for me.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,709,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Are you sure you know what you're talking about? I saw many cars the last time I was in Manhattan.

I don't think time has anything to do with it.

Living in tiny little boxes in a sea of concrete, using the fruits of your labor to buy things that demonstrate your status, scurrying about among masses of strangers with no acknowledgement of one another; these are backwards ways of living.

Places don't discriminate, people do.

Gays and blacks are just two groups among many, which have the potential to be discriminated against.

People in Manhattan and San Francisco discriminate just as much as anyone else, so this is a nonfactor for me.
Um, I don't think you would find NYC and SF discriminating against blacks and gays as much as small towns in the south.

City life is more modern than living on a farm in the country.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,494,411 times
Quote:
You probably did see many cars. The point is not to say that there are no cars, but that a car isn't a necessity and that there is a balance. A car isn't your only option, as it is in some places.
Quote:
Living in tiny little boxes in the sky, using the fruits of your labor to buy things that demonstrate your status, these are backwards ways of living.
That you think living in an apartment is backwards simply illustrate that you are as judgmental and closed minded as the people that you bemoan. Not every city in the world has enough room to build a single family home for everyone, and if they did that, they'd lose the quality that makes them efficient and aesthetically pleasing in the first place.

People living ostentatiously is a problem you'll find pretty much everywhere in America, from North to South, from City to suburb.
Quote:
Care to qualify that? Against whom do they discriminate?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Um, I don't think you would find NYC and SF discriminating against blacks and gays as much as small towns in the south.
How much time have you spent in small southern towns?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You probably did see many cars. The point is not to say that there are no cars, but that a car isn't a necessity and that there is a balance. A car isn't your only option, as it is in some places.
What sort of place exists where a car is your only option?

This seems absurd to me. Do these places prohibit pedestrians?

Quote:
That you think living in an apartment is backwards simply illustrate that you are as judgmental and closed minded as the people that you bemoan.
By this logic, everyone in the thread is judgemental and close minded for having voiced an opinion at all.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,776,154 times
rubber factory I think you have a skewed idea of big city life...
So lets flip that side of the coin...

People go to big cities because that is where the intellectuals are, the jobs are, the arts are, the museums are, the music is.

You say living in tiny little boxes of concrete, but then you say they are materialistic... Wouldn't those who live in big McMansions actually be the ones who are greedy, needing their own place, using inefficient land?

You will find the most environmentally minded activist people living in cities.

NYC is the only city in the country where it has a less than 50% car usage per the populous.

People in big cities generally do not acknowledge TOURISTS, why would they... they are living their own lives and get millions and millions of visitors a year...it is the TOURISTS by and large who don't assimilate and understand that this isn't a sight seeing place, but people are actually living their normal lives here. they definitely have big social groups...

I find it is much harder to meet people in smaller towns, everybody always in their cars and minding their own business..

Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
People living ostentatiously is a problem you'll find pretty much everywhere in America, from North to South, from City to suburb.
Your facts are correct, but irrelevant, given we are discussing the superlative, "most backward."

Quote:
Care to qualify that? Against whom do they discriminate?
Individuals within these cities discriminate against whites, Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, Heterosexuals, Homosexuals, Wealthy people, poor people, and middle class people, among others. This should not be interpreted as a complete list.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
What sort of place exists where a car is your only option?

This seems absurd to me. Do these places prohibit pedestrians?
Still with the obtuseness. Obviously some places are completely inefficient and pedestrian unfriendly, lacking basic transit or even sidewalks. Long blocks, dangerous traffic, etc.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Your facts are correct, but irrelevant, given we are discussing the superlative, "most backward."
Then give a valid reason as to why there'd be more materialism in these places.

Quote:
Individuals within these cities discriminate against whites, Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, Heterosexuals, Homosexuals, Wealthy people, poor people, and middle class people, among others. This should not be interpreted as a complete list.
At what frequency relative to other places? Obviously the amount of discrimination has to vary. What valid reason do you have to believe that San Francisco or Manattan residents discriminate against these groups at a higher frequency. I'll remind you as you reminded me, we are discussing degree here, so it isn't enough to simply state that discrimination exists here as well as other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or