U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 01:40 PM

301 posts, read 1,156,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
west texas is down right scary,my brother in law and i were told to leave a restaurant because of my boston accent(which is very slight since i left brookline when i was 14 back in 1986)and he was wearing a red sox t-shirt.we were told that they don't serve our kind there,and that we had about 2 minutes to leave before things got hairy.we were in a little town just west of san angelo.it was definately an experiance for sure.
That's pretty scary. I can understand a community being a bit backwards; its not always their fault, but there's no reason for violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 02:19 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,220,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Way to make assumptions and put words in my mouth. Crime is reported differently depending on where you are. There is a good amount of discretion in determining a crime like this. Its not cut and dry like a robbery. There are certain areas where the populace may be more liberal or conservative, so the hate crime label may get applied more or less, depending on the location.
Or on the obverse side, overreported. I mean, if a black guy and a white guy get into a fight outside of a bar over a girl and, during the jawing back and forth the N-word and "cracker" get thrown around, is it really a hate crime? That's the problem with so-called "Hate Crimes" because their definitions are so vague and elastic that they can be applied to almost any violent crime that takes place between people of two different ethnicities or sexual persuasions. Which is my point in the first place.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:22 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,418,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Or on the obverse side, overreported. I mean, if a black guy and a white guy get into a fight outside of a bar over a girl and, during the jawing back and forth the N-word and "cracker" get thrown around, is it really a hate crime? That's the problem with so-called "Hate Crimes" because their definitions are so vague and elastic that they can be applied to almost any violent crime that takes place between people of two different ethnicities or sexual persuasions. Which is my point in the first place.
exactly. Which is why hate crimes are stupid to begin with. Words get said in the heat of the moment all the time. That does not mean the crime in the first place was committed because of race.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:15 PM

709 posts, read 1,542,049 times
Quote:
The fact is that the bible belt states have the highest crime rates and divorce rates in the nation.
Quote:
It's true for the most part, how can you even deny that? Please do some research and show us where many conservative states rank high on quality of life issues like health, education, poverty, low crime, etc.... Places like MS, AL, LA, AR, etc..are always near the bottom of good lists and at the top of bad lists.
The southern states have the highest percentage of Blacks in the nation, so that explains why the crime/murder rate is high in those states.

And I doubt very much that Black thugs in southern cities like Little Rock, Memphis, Atlanta, Jackson, New Orleans, etc are conservatives who vote for the Republican party.

Utah for example is a conservative bible belt state but they do not have a high crime/murder rate because they have a very small Black population when compared to Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, etc.

If the racial demographics of the south were similar to that of Utah, I guarantee they would not have a high crime and murder rate.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,244,909 times
Nonsense. If I remember right from the other thread Ft. Smith is 74% white and just 9% black. It's in the top 101 cities for murder.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Smith-Arkansas.html

Little Rock is the highest for Arkansas and although largely black it is majority white.

I love Arkansas, I'm going there tomorrow, and the South. Still Southern white people do, and always have had, higher rates of violence than in most other regions. We have plenty of great culture things too. Art, literature, music, etc. Still some things about the South aren't so good.

Also you mostly ignored the divorce element as these studies, which is understandable as studied on that may specify White Protestants by region.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Still Southern white people do, and always have had, higher rates of violence than in most other regions
So are White people the reason that southern cities like Jackson, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc have such a high murder rate ?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Many of the safest Northern cities are whiter than Ft. Smith, but many aren't.

Elmira, New York is whiter (80.8% white) but it is also blacker (13.1% black)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Elmira-New-York.html

Ramapo, New York is both less white (68.1%) and more black (17%) than Ft. Smith. It has the fifth lowest crime rate this site lists.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ramapo-New-York.html

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-04-2009 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: mixed up word

Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
So are White people the reason that southern cities like Jackson, Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, etc have such a high murder rate ?
I believe all those cities were founded by white people and ran by them until recently. Crime rates have increased since integration, but New Orleans was known for violence and corrupt whites in ye olden days too.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
but New Orleans was known for violence and corrupt whites in ye olden days too.
Yeah because we all know how lily White them ghetto housing projects in New Orleans are.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 AM

I mean before 1960. You think Union soldiers were only looking for black prostitutes? Or that the corrupt New Orleans politicians pre-1960 were all black people? Or that the alcohol-related crimes in Southern cities, then or now, are all black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or