Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,773,971 times

Advertisements

Baton Rouge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM

88,228 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
Backward? The rest of the US besides the cradle of world culture known as Kentucky of course.

I think Cincinnati is backwards because I can't get sweet tea in the restaurants there.
This is the second post I saw today about "Sweet Tea". Someone was complaining that they can't get it in Boston, either. (Maybe that was you too, rooster21!)

I do notice that in the past year the supermarket is starting to sell bottles of sweet tea in the common iced tea brands like Arizona and Turkey Hill.

So do tell. Exactly WHAT is Sweet Tea? How does it differ from normal iced tea?

Sidebar: I visited Texas years ago and someone asked me if I wanted tea. Just tea, not iced tea, they just said "tea". And I'm thinking "It's 102 degrees here--isn't it kind of HOT to be drinking tea????" LOL.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 AM

8,473 posts, read 14,933,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This is the second post I saw today about "Sweet Tea". Someone was complaining that they can't get it in Boston, either. (Maybe that was you too, rooster21!)

I do notice that in the past year the supermarket is starting to sell bottles of sweet tea in the common iced tea brands like Arizona and Turkey Hill.

Sidebar: I visited Texas years ago and someone asked me if I wanted tea. Just tea, not iced tea, they just said "tea". And I'm thinking "It's 102 degrees here--isn't it kind of HOT to be drinking tea????" LOL.
Sweet tea is what iced tea is called in the South.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM

5,543 posts, read 9,461,474 times
Quote:

My mom always used Luzianne. Sugar is boiled into and dissolved into the tea. Hence the "sweet." Then served over ice.

Nectar of the gods as we like to say in my family. We're from Oklahoma.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,356,769 times
Quote:

That instant stuff like Arizona and Nestea doesn't count, it doesn't taste anything like REAL sweet tea.

Here's an easy way to make sweet tea (some people use more sugar, but I don't like mine super sweet)....

Put about eight normal size tea bags (Lipton, etc) in your coffee pot, brew a full pot. Pour this over one cup of sugar in a one gallon pitcher, stir to dissolve. Fill the rest of the way with water, stir again. Let cool to room temp and pour over ice, or you can put the whole pitcher in the fridge.

Most Southerners hate hot tea, and the thought of putting milk or cream in tea makes me gag!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 AM

159 posts, read 405,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Out of all of the places you've been, from a small farm to a great urban metropolis, which areas of our great country seem to be backwards, socially? Meaning, where do people show hostility to newcomers, unfair work practice, prejudice, segregation, etc.
Cook County, IL, upstate NY, rural areas of the deep south

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM

4,892 posts, read 3,338,712 times
SoCal....

Old 03-26-2010, 01:18 PM

492 posts, read 1,023,324 times
Quote:

That was me. I LOVE me some Sweet Tea with just about every meal, so my trip to Boston was agonizing (on the food side of things). Sweet Tea is made from brewing tea bags/tea leaves and adding sugar. Not the powder/instant stuff. They taste nothing alike. Ice Tea and Sweet Tea are pretty much the same thing but a lot of the time Ice Tea can be unsweetened brewed tea, so you have to put the emphasis on "Sweet" if you like the sweet stuff. I dont really like mine with lemons though.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 PM

730 posts, read 2,249,017 times
West Virginia & Arkansas. Being in these place is like stepping back in time 25 years (or more). Yes, I agree with previous posters I STILL hear the phrase "the blacks" used here in AR. In the area my husband is from you either live on the white side or black side of town. It's absurd.The civil war?! - what the hell?- get over it.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,318,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Definitely a good point, and the fault stems from all sides of the racial and socioeconomic spectrum. And what makes it one of the most backwards isn't that it has all of those things in itself. To all who insist otherwise, then answer me this: DC has a high presence of "educated" people, the jobs are still fairly available (compared to most of the country), the crime rate has declined, and there are multiple people from around the world.

I expect such regressive behavior from isolated places like the Deep South and from cities that have almost nothing going for it like Detroit, Cleveland, and Baltimore. There is no excuse for any sort of backwards behaviors, thoughts, nor beliefs anywhere near DC!
This is something interesting to think about. If I'm not mistaken I think DC was once the murder capitol of the world (or at least close to it). I always wondered what that must look like to the rest of the world when a nation's capitol is this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City