U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 08:30 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,441,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
To me, it's backwards to assume that those guys were racist (i.e. what if I were black?) or that you needed to fear for your life. To me, that is just a overreaction you had to a totally harmless situation. That's like me fearing for my life in San Francisco, because I talk like a southerner.

And I don't mean to pick on you, I've just seen this type of thing before. A story about how isolated and scary the "backwards southerners" are. Is it because of the movie Deliverance?
Excellent comments and observations. About Deliverance, I think that movie is more a result of stereotypes than a cause of them. This gets into the whole "cause-effect" argument that will never be settled. I happen to think that violent video games are popular because people are violent, I don't believe that the games CAUSE violence. The market delivers to us what we want to see, and most people want to have their version of reality confirmed over and over.

My mom and her boyfriend (both in their late 80s) watch Fox News about 4 hours a day and never look at any other news source except the Wall Street Journal. Fox News is popular because it says what people want to hear: America is great, God is on our side, the other media are liberal, etc.

One thing I love about web forums is that we are constantly confronted with conflicting paradigms. Through this medium we're exposed to viewpoints we might otherwise ignore or avoid. I love seeing all the different points of view that are expressed here, they're mind-expanding. Sometimes they're a bit of a reflection on the reader, like your post. You held up a mirror and I saw that my attitude about the east Texas small town guys is a projection similar to what I think is being projected about me from dogmatic leftists in the Bay Area. Texas license plates! Maybe they think I only know how to say "Squeal like a pig!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:54 PM

792 posts, read 2,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Upstate New York cities, particularly Rochester are hotbeds for higher education and culture. I can't see how this would equate to "backwardness".

Rochester I'll give you, but really nothing else. Syracuse? (having a major university alone doesn't make it a hotbed for higher education and culture off campus grounds) Buffalo? Utica? Elmira? Binghamton? Potsdam? I can't see how anyone would defend these places in the context of the more urban regions.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:09 PM

554 posts, read 2,276,491 times
I think Metro Detroit is pretty backwards (extreme segregation).

Old 06-15-2007, 07:46 AM

89 posts, read 528,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
Rochester I'll give you, but really nothing else. Syracuse? (having a major university alone doesn't make it a hotbed for higher education and culture off campus grounds) Buffalo? Utica? Elmira? Binghamton? Potsdam? I can't see how anyone would defend these places in the context of the more urban regions.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say but Elmira College is wonderful place to learn as well as Binghamton University.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:11 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,776,372 times
Rural South (particularly Mississippi).

Old 06-15-2007, 08:36 AM

792 posts, read 2,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tviz25 View Post
I don't really understand what you are trying to say but Elmira College is wonderful place to learn as well as Binghamton University.
I guess you don't, because that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Elmira and Binghamton are both backwards cities and dumps for the most part in my estimation. On a total side note, Elmira College and SUNY Binghamton are both excellent institutions of higher learning as well in my estimation.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:30 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,495,558 times
I have to agree with Maryland being the most backwards. It has the stereotypical rudeness of a northern state, the bigotry (that's concentrated around hatred towards one race) of the south, and the cost of living of the west coast. For goodness sake, the northern part of Virginia that borders D.C. has a lot more friendliness and social/racial/cultural acceptance. And I thought Virginia was supposed to be the southern state.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:21 PM

154 posts, read 640,990 times
syracuse is backwards? i guess there's a first time for everything. i've never heard anything but good things about syracuse!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:31 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,300,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I have to agree with Maryland being the most backwards. It has the stereotypical rudeness of a northern state, the bigotry (that's concentrated around hatred towards one race) of the south, and the cost of living of the west coast. For goodness sake, the northern part of Virginia that borders D.C. has a lot more friendliness and social/racial/cultural acceptance. And I thought Virginia was supposed to be the southern state.
You need to travel more. Compared to some states, we're nothing!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM

98 posts, read 533,505 times
I have traveled too most of the states mentioned and lived in some of them and been born in one of them. I have found Eastern Kentucky to be charming, the people friendly and helpful. You do need to be clear when asking directions, for instance when they say turn right at the third light you have to ask is that signal lights or does that include flashing lights? Then ask does it include the light outside or not? Also find out if they include a stop sign in the amount of lights. It's charming the way everyone that comes in to the station (presuming your asking at a gas station) becomes involved in giving further directions and their own favorite short cuts. I've had them loan a cell phone, or followed someone (once for many miles) and they have gone way out of their way to be helpful. I'm talking down in the coal mine areas also.
I was recently in Baltimore and found the people in Maryland patient and interesting. Where in some parts of the country I would have been honked at and given the CA salute, in Maryland they were tres patient when I was looking for something and messing up the flow of traffic. It was also very beautiful there.
I agree with a couple other writers that maybe people are satisfied with the way things are in their towns and don't want Walmart and the other big boxes cluttering up their town.
What is backwards to one person is bliss to another. Frankly it's gotten so I can't tell if I've gone off the exit to Bowling Green KY or the exit to Evansville, Indiana. One city looks pretty much like the last one and the next one. Guess that's our new culture. Big Box. Is that what’s considered not backwards? After reading through many areas of this forum and many of the states, most people are looking for places to live that might come under the heading of backwards and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or