U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,900,774 times

Advertisements

It has to be the area around Riverton, Oregon. My uncle there suffered from delusions, firmly believing himself to be a chicken, and "roosting" in a back room. And yet the rest of the family refused to have him committed, claiming that they "needed the eggs".....go figure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,887,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It has to be the area around Riverton, Oregon. My uncle there suffered from delusions, firmly believing himself to be a chicken, and "roosting" in a back room. And yet the rest of the family refused to have him committed, claiming that they "needed the eggs".....go figure
Thats joke is older then me

Old 06-27-2007, 06:04 PM

73 posts, read 321,673 times
I have to agree with everyone who voted for W. Va. My husband is from there, so I certainly don't mean any offense. But I notice so many people smoking, a high pregnancy rate, high school dropouts, lack of women's rights, unhealthy eating habits, drinking. And that's just what I've seen first hand in his family. The children start smoking before they're 12, start having sex as soon as they hit puberty, very disturbing. But they're very sweet & loving people, just backward. I think it's one of the most beautiful states I've ever spent any time in.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 PM

47,434 posts, read 45,176,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover View Post
Forsyth county Georgia.
I know what you mean. An entire population of African-Americans were driven out by force in the early 20th century over the rape of a white female by two African-American men who were drunk. Forsyth County kept anyone who wasn't white out of Forsyth County until the late 1980's.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,906,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkie2 View Post
I have to agree with everyone who voted for W. Va. My husband is from there, so I certainly don't mean any offense. But I notice so many people smoking, a high pregnancy rate, high school dropouts, lack of women's rights, unhealthy eating habits, drinking. And that's just what I've seen first hand in his family. The children start smoking before they're 12, start having sex as soon as they hit puberty, very disturbing. But they're very sweet & loving people, just backward. I think it's one of the most beautiful states I've ever spent any time in.
Sadly, that is not the only place like that. I can name six girls off the top of my head who have had babies/been pregnant by age 15, most by 14. The smoking a drinking is prevalent too. It's sad. I have a 13 year old and thankfully she hasn't gone to any of that yet but I pray she has the sense to stay out of that mess.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:03 AM

32,307 posts, read 59,530,406 times
Philadelphia. The resistance to change here is mind-bending. That's how I define "backward", anyway.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
West Virginia away from the 4 Lane Highways
I'm sure if you find yourself away from 4 lane highways, you might find lots of "backward" people. However, that doesn't make them any less human beings deserving of compassion. You have no idea about these people, other than perhaps stero-typing. I was born in WVA, I come from one of the "shanty's" that people talk about. I was educated in WVA, and now live in the Dallas area. I have lived all over the world, experienced many cultures, but I will never forget the "shanty" that I lived in nor the values that I hold dear today that I learned from those West Virginians, Hooray!! for West Virginia.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 PM

840 posts, read 6,041,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Out of all of the places you've been, from a small farm to a great urban metropolis, which areas of our great country seem to be backwards, socially? Meaning, where do people show hostility to newcomers, unfair work practice, prejudice, segregation, etc.
The whole state of Oregon, mainly the small towns. Nobody wants change but they seem to pack the Wal-Marts and big chain stores pretty good. Getting a job is on a 'who you know' basis. They dislike Californians yet they somehow mix local news with news from California. In California, it wasn't often that I heard news from Oregon. They think college sports are pro sports.

Did I mention Oregonians love to blame Californians on just about everything?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,887,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post

Did I mention Oregonians love to blame Californians on just about everything?
How well I remember when we lived in Oregon,everyone had a bumpersticker that said "Dont Californicate Oregon",,,,,but eventually they did

Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 AM

840 posts, read 6,041,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
How well I remember when we lived in Oregon,everyone had a bumpersticker that said "Dont Californicate Oregon",,,,,but eventually they did
I guess they replaced them with Oregon State and Raiders stickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or