Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 AM

92 posts, read 500,009 times

Advertisements

My family moved to Klamath Falls, Oregon from Southern California and I can say the people were simply icy to us until we got Oregon license plates.

They really, REALLY do hate Californians. It was bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
I hate this topic. I took a history class and our teacher was a yankee from St Louis telling us how backwards she thought Virginia and the South were. Who in the heck is she to say that? What gives her the right to say such a thing. I'd take Richmond any day over St. Louis.

She even said Southern men were too effete. I think its the people who make such ridiculous judgements are the ones who are truly backwards.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I hate this topic. I took a history class and our teacher was a yankee from St Louis telling us how backwards she thought Virginia and the South were. Who in the heck is she to say that? What gives her the right to say such a thing. I'd take Richmond any day over St. Louis.

She even said Southern men were too effete. I think its the people who make such ridiculous judgements are the ones who are truly backwards.
I agree, but what's a Yankee from St. Louis?

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 PM

74 posts, read 312,858 times
Casper, Wyoming

Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
Oregonians aren't backwards, they're hippies that are scared to pump their own gas. When they see a California license plate, they see Los Angeles sprawl. They're not backward insomuch as they are just plain weird.

Quote:
I'd take the truth over your bashing of Illinois/Indiana/Missouri anyday.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,030 times
Quote:
I hate this topic...
...I think its the people who make such ridiculous judgements are the ones who are truly backwards.
Bravo.

I think the topic is fun if you don't take it too seriously, but I greatly appreciate your serious response and I'm sure other people do as well. It's actually extremely elitist and judgmental to label an area as "backwards" when we don't know what those people have been through, what their lives are like or anything else about why their region seems "backwards" to us.

But it's still fun. Kinda like racist jokes, they're often very funny even if they're morally wrong and insulting. I think it depends on our intentions. If we're feeling racist, or bigoted against a region, then we're being insulting. If we're using humor to release the tensions created by division and bigotry then it's relatively harmless. A good example of this is Comedy Central's show Mind Of Mencia. He's constantly making racial stereotypes but he uses it intelligently to help us laugh at ourselves and open up to each other, not as a tactic to divide people.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 AM

247 posts, read 1,115,374 times
Default small southern towns

As a lifelong resident of Alabama I can say that there has been significant progress in the large and mid sized cities. Not so in rural areas and small towns. Some towns are almost as segregated as they were before the 1960's.A few years ago I was visiting an aquiantance in Eutaw Alabama, a small town about 35 miles south of Tuscaloosa. He started showing me around town and pointing out the "white swimming pool" and the "black baseball field".It was like nothing had changed after all these years.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
A yankee from St. Louis???

--------------------------

This is a topic that clearly has no right or wrong answer because it all depends on where you are from and what you are accustomed to. Clearly if you live in the heart of Manhatten, the rural south is going to appear extremely "backwards".

I am from a relatively liberal State and find conservative WI to be extremely backwards because they refuse to accept change, even when it's clearly in the citizens best interest.

Someone born and raised in Los Angeles would find northern New England to be backwards, I'm sure.

As with so many things, it's a matter of perspective.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Out of all of the places you've been, from a small farm to a great urban metropolis, which areas of our great country seem to be backwards, socially? Meaning, where do people show hostility to newcomers, unfair work practice, prejudice, segregation, etc.
HHmm Let's see,
Some of the nicest people I've ever met were in OK, AR, and MO. they also were fairly prejudice, as most people are. Remember prejudice is'nt just against a skin color, it can be anything. Blanketing the south as redneck is prejudice in itself....
Here (the Bay Area) folks are so worried about being politically correct it has become backwards... English is the second languge in the malls, heck one of the schools allowed the kids to pull down the American Flag and fly the Mexican flag...WTF... This country was founded by immigrants who came here to become Americans. Now the immigrant want's America to change for them..
As for segregation look at any mixed school, we segregate ourselves mostly by our own choosing...
unfair work practice: Hiring not from test scores or interviews but from quotas. even if the applicant can in no way do the job....
You want some hostility? drive thru Richmond, CA. or Oakland, CA. and if you get out alive you've done well..
Baghdad has nothing on the East Bay for hostility....
.........Let the Flamers Begin.................

Old 07-09-2007, 02:58 PM

134 posts, read 438,631 times
When I lived in Florida, some of the people that moved there would complain how backward the state was. They would say things like "Back home, we did like this" or "It was so much better in (insert state)" or "Floridians are stupid." (Funny since the vast majority of Floridians are not from there). Anyway, while I respect their opinions, I would keep such thoughts to myself, not loudly telling everyone what I thought about where they live. I've been through some backward areas, but I would never tell the locals that because it's disrespectful.

When I was attending Jacksonville State in Alabama, an instructor made it a point to tell us how backward the South was and how live was so much better in the Midwest. I would also hear this from others who moved to the area too. I just don't understand why someone would move to a place and then go out their way to insult the place. I didn't care for Ohio, but I didn't go around to the locals and tell them that. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City