Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:56 PM

50 posts, read 136,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok so let me get this straight:

Fat people + Pregnant teenagers + filthy roads + high unemployment rates + Crime = backwards??

I don't think anyone on this forums understands the defintion of backwards because what you just described is not it.
According to certain statistics and polls these are the things MS is Known for and which give it a bad name. People read about thes stats and this why they think everyone in MS is uneducated, Fat and unemployed. Therefore they consider us all BACKWARDS. I am simply pointing that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Why do western interior states tend to be so socially conservative?
I notice that conservatism usually goes hand in hand with agriculture which there is a lot of in the west. The west still has that good ol' boy/ old west mentality not too many generations back. Lastly I think that population concentration has something to do with it. Compacted populations (Large cities like Los Angeles or Seattle) usually tend to be more socially left. I think that's pretty much because they realize that the John Wayne mentality doesn't work so well in such close quarters.

Note: I'm not knocking the "John Wayne" mentality - it has it's time and place.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I notice that conservatism usually goes hand in hand with agriculture which there is a lot of in the west. The west still has that good ol' boy/ old west mentality not too many generations back.
These are the fourth generation removed from homesteaders - they never trusted the govt and don't expect the govt to do anything good for them. They don't like Eastern outsiders because they bring their half-breed kids with and expect everyone else to bow down to their ideals - whatever that is!
Homesteaders and their families worked hard to keep their land theirs.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,250,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok so let me get this straight:

Fat people + Pregnant teenagers + filthy roads + high unemployment rates + Crime = backwards??

I don't think anyone on this forums understands the defintion of backwards because what you just described is not it.
Well please enlighten us with your definition of "backward," since people seem to be so wrong to you.

A lot of what ails Mississippi (including some of what was being said in your quote) is a result of systematic poverty and low educational attainment rate. It's 'backward' in that way. There's also a lot of apathy and complacency with the population there as well, which can contribute to it's perceived 'backwardness.' Believe me, I lived in Mississippi for about a decade, and yes, many parts of the state can be quite backward and regressive.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsman48 View Post
These are the fourth generation removed from homesteaders - they never trusted the govt and don't expect the govt to do anything good for them. They don't like Eastern outsiders because they bring their half-breed kids with and expect everyone else to bow down to their ideals - whatever that is!
Homesteaders and their families worked hard to keep their land theirs.
Here again, I am not saying this mindset is bad. I'm wasn't trying to put it down I just said it goes hand in hand with social conservatism.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:16 PM

113 posts, read 245,268 times
Bigoted, high murder rate, segregated, worst schools in the nation, Washington DC. Downright creepy.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmer laktow View Post
Bigoted, high murder rate, segregated, worst schools in the nation, Washington DC. Downright creepy.
Definitely a good point, and the fault stems from all sides of the racial and socioeconomic spectrum. And what makes it one of the most backwards isn't that it has all of those things in itself. To all who insist otherwise, then answer me this: DC has a high presence of "educated" people, the jobs are still fairly available (compared to most of the country), the crime rate has declined, and there are multiple people from around the world.

I expect such regressive behavior from isolated places like the Deep South and from cities that have almost nothing going for it like Detroit, Cleveland, and Baltimore. There is no excuse for any sort of backwards behaviors, thoughts, nor beliefs anywhere near DC!

Old 03-24-2010, 02:46 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
I don't like to participate in discussions like this because some people get offended if their town or state is identified. But as a whole the South seems to fall into the category of "backward" more than other parts of the country.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,324,558 times
The most backwards place ive ever been was rural West Virgina about 20 minutes from Winchester. I saw people walking around with no shirt on with mullets down to their legs

The most backwards place in the country I suspect is rural Alabama

Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
The most backwards place in the country I suspect is rural Alabama
Why do you "suspect"? Maybe something you saw on TV?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City