U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2010, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,011,392 times
Reputation: 2774
Except for changing planes @ DFW, I've never been - but it really does sound like Midtown would be a better comparison. Pic's I've seen make it seem sort of similar.

 
Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 PM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,811,801 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is the facination with Buckhead on this site, the more i see it the more it makes me think it is the only interesting place in Atlanta and way over-hyped, every city has a similar neighborhood. I like Buckhead and think its nice, but so are neighborhoods in many other cities

Glad to see Midtown growing up too in Atlanta. The promotion of Buckhead at times dimishes my feeling for Atlanta, a city that has a great future. It is great to be proud but why does it have to be compared to everything else on these boards. I restate a great neighborhood and something to be proud of, but it is similar to the great neighborhoods in many other cities. I have spent many days and nights in Buckhead and think it is just fine, a great place, but not by any means the end all be all, actually to me that is La Jolla

ok my rant is done carry on
If your talking about Buckhead resembling edge cites not too many edge cities are this affluent, if your talking about Buckhead resemble affluent neighborhoods not that many affluent neighborhoods is core with an CBD thatís larger than many cities downtown. Buckhead is home to the ninth-wealthiest zip code and has a skyline on par with Downtown Austin. I just thought about something Buckhead is wealthy McMansion kingdom a big lot affluent neighborhood other than the Peachtree Rd and Lenox Square Area itís doesnít suppose to feel urban. And last thread Buckhead was a topic was the beverly hills of south thread.
 
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,429 posts, read 2,111,274 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
If your talking about Buckhead resembling edge cites not too many edge cities are this affluent, if your talking about Buckhead resemble affluent neighborhoods not that many affluent neighborhoods is core with an CBD thatís larger than many cities downtown. Buckhead is home to the ninth-wealthiest zip code and has a skyline on par with Downtown Austin. I just thought about something Buckhead is wealthy McMansion kingdom a big lot affluent neighborhood other than the Peachtree Rd and Lenox Square Area itís doesnít suppose to feel urban. And last thread Buckhead was a topic was the beverly hills of south thread.
Buckhead is very nice! I love Buckhead but its nothing like Uptown Dallas.

Uptown Houston, yes
 
Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 AM
 
2,250 posts, read 1,811,801 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Except for changing planes @ DFW, I've never been - but it really does sound like Midtown would be a better comparison. Pic's I've seen make it seem sort of similar.
I compared Buckhead to Uptown Dallas on the Dallas vs. Atlanta thread because I was just talking about the CBD’s, buckhead is Atlanta uptown district and I already compared Midtown to North Central Expressway. So I do think Midtown Atlanta and Uptown Dallas is a better comparison, if taking about Urbanity. Uptown Dallas and Buckhead is apples and oranges but the topic is not how much they have in common anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Buckhead is very nice! I love Buckhead but its nothing like Uptown Dallas.

Uptown Houston, yes
If talking about skyline buckhead is bigger, If your talking about urbanity buckhead is not meant to be so that Uptown Dallas.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
887 posts, read 1,158,209 times
Reputation: 617
As others have intimated, Buckhead is among the most familiar neighborhoods to outsiders because of its notoriety as a party district in the 90s. Many posters have expressed their own ambivalence towards Buckhead and prefer the more urban areas of the city. Most Atlantans nowadays don't consider Buckhead the destination it once was.

Regarding arts, Atlanta's art scene is huge and is in no way limited to Woodruff. That area is for mainstream work. Like a lot of the amenities in Atlanta, because things are spread out, they tend to not be known to folks who don't live in Atlanta.

Outside of Woodruff, Castleberry Hill is one of the largest concentrations of arts in the city with numerous art galleries, monthly artstrolls, and and annual loft tour. In addition is the growing West Midtown area including King Plow and the White Provision developments (which house numerous art galleries and photography studios), Old 4th Ward (where the decade old studioplex loft community is home to dozens of artists and where Rainforest Films and Tyler Perry studios have their headquarters), and Inman Park/Little Five Points with their theater and live music venues, and other lofts and galleries west of downtown Atlanta along Marietta St.

The arts scene--for theater, film, indie music, and fine art-- is sprinkled all over the city proper, is very vibrant, and is steadily growing.

For the OP, if the yuppie, suburban feel is more your speed, Buckhead is cool. But from the sounds of it, does not really offer what you're looking for. Midtown will probably be more suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Depends on what you like. Uptown Dallas is very urban. Buckhead has a suburban edge city feel. I say if you took Buckhead and put it in a Midtown Atlanta setting you'd have Uptown Dallas. It definitely does have culture/arts. Its located between the Dallas Arts District and the Design District. I've seen posters in other threads claim Atlanta having more arts than Dallas but I honestly don't know what they are referring to other than the Woodruff Arts Complex there aren't other museums and world class performance halls in that area and Atlanta doesn't have a huge design district like you have in Dallas. That isn't meant to be a knock on Atlanta but I just don't get what people are comparing?

Uptown Dallas has lots of great bars, restaurants and shopping in walking distance of anywhere in the neighborhood or conveniently on the trolley line which connects the neighborhood and to the Dart rail. The neighborhood isn't that large so its easy to get around to anything you need without using a car. You are within a 1/2 mile or so radius of downtown and oak lawn which are all very urban areas. You would have to travel 5 miles or so to Midtown Atlanta to go to the Woodruff Arts Center and downtown Atlanta. Your post makes it sound like you haven't visited the area in a while. It has changed dramatically into a very upscale cosmopolitan urban neighborhood. I absolutely love it! The Buckhead skyline is more impressive but the actual fabric of Uptown Dallas is great.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 03:33 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
8,011 posts, read 7,001,167 times
Reputation: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Perimeter Center has rail stations too and that doesnt make it urban and lenox and phipps are suburban style shopping malls not urban shopping like you have in the west village. Buckhead has definitely began to grow in the right direction but it still feels like an edge city, especially with the number of strip malls and fast food restaurants you still see present. Uptown Dallas is more akin to Midtown Atlanta with a more upscale twist.
Yes,but like I mentioned before,Buckhead is not confined to just Lenox Mall.The Linbergh Area is very dense and especially easy to get to and from due to a huge Marta Station.The area USED to be dotted with strip malls and fast food but most of that has been torn down to replace it with more urban plans that we have now.



 
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,426,265 times
Reputation: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes,but like I mentioned before,Buckhead is not confined to just Lenox Mall.The Linbergh Area is very dense and especially easy to get to and from due to a huge Marta Station.The area USED to be dotted with strip malls and fast food but most of that has been torn down to replace it with more urban plans that we have now.


i'm not necessarily saying uptown dallas is better than buckhead, but you would just refuse to accept that houston or dallas could possibly have something better than atlanta, huh?
 
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 AM
 
13,274 posts, read 12,772,046 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes,but like I mentioned before,Buckhead is not confined to just Lenox Mall.The Linbergh Area is very dense and especially easy to get to and from due to a huge Marta Station.The area USED to be dotted with strip malls and fast food but most of that has been torn down to replace it with more urban plans that we have now.


Nice photos. ATL is looking nice.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 09:39 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island and Atlanta, GA
12,701 posts, read 18,625,774 times
Reputation: 5586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is the facination with Buckhead on this site, the more i see it the more it makes me think it is the only interesting place in Atlanta and way over-hyped, every city has a similar neighborhood. I like Buckhead and think its nice, but so are neighborhoods in many other cities

Glad to see Midtown growing up too in Atlanta. The promotion of Buckhead at times dimishes my feeling for Atlanta, a city that has a great future. It is great to be proud but why does it have to be compared to everything else on these boards. I restate a great neighborhood and something to be proud of, but it is similar to the great neighborhoods in many other cities. I have spent many days and nights in Buckhead and think it is just fine, a great place, but not by any means the end all be all, actually to me that is La Jolla

ok my rant is done carry on
People that live here know very well that Buckhead is not the only 'interesting place' in the city.
I do agree that Midtown Atlanta is a more valid comparison to Uptown Dallas than Buckhead. 'Buckhead' covers roughly 30% of the city of Atlanta, and runs the gamut in terms of cityscape, from estate-sized suburbia (Buckhead was first known as a home to the 'gentlemen farm' retreats for wealthy Atlantans) to high-density urban. The CBD that many keep referring to comprises less than 5% of Buckhead's land mass...which is why IMO a comparison here is difficult to make.
 
Old 02-14-2010, 09:53 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 3,925,180 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
People that live here know very well that Buckhead is not the only 'interesting place' in the city.
I do agree that Midtown Atlanta is a more valid comparison to Uptown Dallas than Buckhead. 'Buckhead' covers roughly 30% of the city of Atlanta, and runs the gamut in terms of cityscape, from estate-sized suburbia (Buckhead was first known as a home to the 'gentlemen farm' retreats for wealthy Atlantans) to high-density urban. The CBD that many keep referring to comprises less than 5% of Buckhead's land mass...which is why IMO a comparison here is difficult to make.
Exactly. Buckhead is a large district that is a collection of neighborhoods rather than just being one distinct neighborhood--kind of like how Oak Cliff in Dallas is a district comprised of many neighborhoods. By far, Midtown is a lot more comparable to Uptown Dallas while Buckhead would be more comparable to Addison and the Park Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top