U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 04:21 PM

8,087 posts, read 7,367,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
From what I remember, this isn't what happened at all.

You said something about Houston only having Mexicans, and that percentage taking up a lot, so Atlanta was more diverse, etc. And we were talking metro areas, not city limits, and all there areas are about the same. Houston foreign born population was less than Dallas and Atlanta's too. I don't think this happened that long ago, but these little forum arguments over cities always happen.
Actually you are partially right.I NEVER said Houston only having Mexicans.I just said that its no surprise that so much of its foreign born population is of Mexican decent.In fact by a long shot.I also NEVER claimed Atlanta was MORE ,but not less,more that is was about even just in different ways.Diversity is subjective.Having more "drag queens "can mean more diversity.LOL

Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,619,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually you are partially right.I NEVER said Houston only having Mexicans.I just said that its no surprise that so much of its foreign born population is of Mexican decent.In fact by a long shot.I also NEVER claimed Atlanta was MORE ,but not less,more that is was about even just in different ways.Diversity is subjective.Having more "drag queens "can mean more diversity.LOL
we're talking about racial diversity, and by that, yes atlanta is less diverse. not more and not equal. LESS.

and last i checked, mexicans only made up around 50% of houston's foreign born population. but that may have changed, i'm not sure

Old 02-14-2010, 06:02 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,590,261 times
^^Definitely below 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
if afonega did in fact say that, then he is only helping to prove my point that i made earlier

houston is the most diverse metro out of the three. period. and by diverse, what i'm saying is that there are more ethnicities and/or nationalities with significant populations here than dallas and atlanta. over 90 languages are spoken in the metro, and i believe it has the third largest number of foreign consulates (after nyc and la).

and high foreign born population does not equal diversity
This is what I'm saying. And foreign-born population doesn't equal diversity? Not true.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:32 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,324,988 times
I know this is off-topic from the original point of this thread, but people seem to continue to underestimate how ethnically diverse Atlanta really is.

This is link to a report using 5 year old data that states Gwinnett County has over 100 languages spoken in its school system: http://www.globalatlantaworks.com/do...n_Gwinnett.pdf

I know we don't have the total numbers Houston may have, but that in no way should suggest that Atlanta can't hold its own.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:01 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,272,386 times
Dallas All Star game attendance was 108,713

Old 02-14-2010, 11:12 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,619,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
please don't mention anything about the all star game lol, i'm just now getting over how mad i was about not being up there

Old 02-14-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Probably the only highlight of it.

This All-Star Weekend was horrible. The event planning was horrible, too (lines, etc.). I guess the snowfall could be partially to blame for that one, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I never said that Houston does not have the diversity.Let me put it this way:
The City of Houston occupy s 600 sq mi compared to Atlanta at 131 sq mi.If that were Atlanta,that would be a significant difference also.Numbers wise Houston will when ,percentage wise it come out different.But as I said before it does not mean anything if we are just talking about race.People are getting nationalities,ethnicities,and race as if they are one and the same.They are not the same,nor does either of them cancel out by weighing more than the other.
The links you posted are for metro areas. I hope you understand that. Just look at the differences between Houston and Atlanta:

http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Houston2005.htm

http://gstudynet.org/gum/US2005ACS/Atlanta2005.htm

Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 PM

631 posts, read 715,203 times
Quote:
That's good attendance being that mardi gra weekend is in affect

Old 02-15-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
That's good attendance being that mardi gra weekend is in affect
I think Mardi Gras may have had a 1% impact on the attendance tonight. LOL. It being Valentines Day probably had more of an impact.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 2,238,748 times
Quote:
Dallas hosted the games very well. I think the chaos that erupted from the 2001 games in Atlanta taught everyone a lesson on planning for these events. I think they should give Atlanta another shot at hosting them, I mentioned that to a co-worker today and they said Atlanta isn't allowed to host it anymore because of all the trouble that took place there. I don't know if that is true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City