U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,670,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Park Cities as a part of Oak Lawn?
i said in a more lenient definition. they are located directly north of the area

Quote:
I forgot that Turtle Creek is part of Oak Lawn though. Since that's the case, then Turtle Creek/Oak Lawn/Uptown (Uptown is a part of Oak Lawn, correct?) would probably be a more accurate comparison to Midtown Atlanta.
it really wouldn't be though. oak lawn is one big area comprised of several neighborhoods, just like buckhead. and turtle creek is much more like what you'd find in buckhead than something you would ever find in midtown

uptown dallas, alone, is what i would compare with midtown. just a smaller version

Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,759,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i said in a more lenient definition. they are located directly north of the area
I see. I guess if HP and UP were a part of the City of Dallas, I could see them being a part of Oak Lawn, but since they're incorporated cities on their own, they're considered separate from Oak Lawn, right?

Quote:
it really wouldn't be though. oak lawn is one big area comprised of several neighborhoods, just like buckhead. and turtle creek is much more like what you'd find in buckhead than something you would ever find in midtown
There is a neighborhood called Ansley Park that could be considered Midtown Atlanta in the broader sense or a more lenient definition of Midtown. I think it's a neighborhood that is similar to Turtle Creek.

Quote:
uptown dallas, alone, is what i would compare with midtown. just a smaller version
I can dig it. I think what is defined as Midtown is approximately 4 sq mi, how big is Uptown?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 PM

3,596 posts, read 4,314,979 times
Quote:
I can dig it. I think what is defined as Midtown is approximately 4 sq mi, how big is Uptown?
UPTOWN Dallas is still expanding. Its hard to really get an estimate on sq mi...

Old 02-15-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
UPTOWN Dallas is still expanding. Its hard to really get an estimate on sq mi...
Expanding in terms of square mi? Or what is being defined as "Uptown"?

Old 02-15-2010, 01:44 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,670,461 times
Quote:
I see. I guess if HP and UP were a part of the City of Dallas, I could see them being a part of Oak Lawn, but since they're incorporated cities on their own, they're considered separate from Oak Lawn, right?

There is a neighborhood called Ansley Park that could be considered Midtown Atlanta in the broader sense or a more lenient definition of Midtown. I think it's a neighborhood that is similar to Turtle Creek.

honestly, grindin, the more i think about it, the more incorrect i feel lol

i think the problem is that dallas is set up so differently than atlanta and is so "less centralized", that there really isn't one single neighborhood that serves the same purpose that midtown does in atlanta

but i think that if i were to name one area as dallas' buckhead, i would say oak lawn. in many ways, but certainly not all

Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Expanding in terms of square mi? Or what is being defined as "Uptown"?
Hell I'm just as confused as everyone else what is defined as uptown Dallas... I know you have downtown Dallas, Victory Park, and UpTown Dallas...

Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
honestly, grindin, the more i think about it, the more incorrect i feel lol

i think the problem is that dallas is set up so differently than atlanta and is so "less centralized", that there really isn't one single neighborhood that serves the same purpose that midtown does in atlanta

but i think that if i were to name one area as dallas' buckhead, i would say oak lawn. in many ways, but certainly not all
I gotcha.

I'm thinking too much, LOL. Dallas is a much larger city than Atlanta in square mileage, so I guess what is considered a neighborhood is going to be much larger than how it's defined here in Atlanta. I've heard too many times about how most of South Dallas is wrongly defined as Oak Cliff, for example.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Maybe this photo will help...Far north Dallas with uptown and than Downtown Dallas in the far distance. Central expressway in the distance to the left.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:23 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,272,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Buckhead compared to The Galleria area? Maybe the mall itself, but the surrounding area of Galleria Dallas is not nearly as desirable as Buckhead. Now Northpark is different...
Yes, most definitely. Galleria Dallas/Addison is like Perimeter Center

Park Cities/Park Lane is definitely more like Buckhead with NorthPark Center being like Lenox/Phipps if they were combined into one big mall.

Preston Center in this area is a nice mixed use area and has a pleasant outdoor shopping environment. You rarely hear it mentioned.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:26 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,272,670 times
Quote:
couldn't we just say that oak lawn in general is comparable to buckhead? maybe?
I think Oak lawn is like Midtown Atlanta culturally and development wise. Its the heart of the gay community of Dallas, has great restaurants and condo developments with more single family homes like you see in Midtown Atlanta. Uptown Dallas is kind of its own animal when comparing Dallas and Atlanta but its more like Midtown Atlanta than any other neighborhood there. I think Uptown Dallas feels more like a neighborhood you'd see in DC because it is mostly midrise or townhome residential with virtually no single family homes. And to answer the earlier question, Uptown is in the original boundary Oak Lawn but the area has grown so much that no one refers to that area as Oak Lawn anymore, its now just Uptown. There are actually modern metal signs on all streets entering Uptown to let you know that you are in that neighborhood.

Last edited by R1070; 02-15-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City