Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa Versus Pittsburgh
TAMPA 80 31.75%
PITTSBURGH 149 59.13%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 5 1.98%
UNDECIDED 3 1.19%
DON'T CARE 12 4.76%
NO OPINION 3 1.19%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:26 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I disagree with this...I am 23 living in Pittsburgh and the city is great for young singles. The population has been declining, but the people leaving are older while the people moving in are young. The population is becoming younger and younger every year. I moved to Pittsburgh from Philly and love it...

Roads are bad in the winter, but I would rather deal with Pittsburgh winters than Tampa summers!

Also - Pittsburgh had the G20, lets see Tampa get something that important
I also agree with you too; because IMHO...Pittsburgh is up and coming and rebounding with a strong educational/medical economic element.

YouTube - Tampa's Museum of Science & Industry

YouTube - Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh

YouTube - Must See Pittsburgh - Museums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:36 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Regarding crime rates, according to the data provided on City-Data.com, Pittsburgh's rate is higher than Tampa's. I'm not offended by this at all, but some people on this site wanted to post crime videos.

Like the OP said, let's not focus on the crime but I just wanted to clear that up.
I AGREE; but I got the data from the Gov't. and FBI and Forbes...BUT NO MORE CRIME. I was trying to show SARASOTA crime...So I'll stick to the thread closer; It's just I've been personally affected by Sarasota crime. Also in all FAIRNESS: I gave TAMPA top billing in the thread title AND top billing in the POLL. To help counter bias, since I prefer Pittsburgh. BUT I WANT to learn more about BOTH cities like the DALLAS versus PHILADELPHIA Thread. I do NOT live in TAMPA; NOR have I lived in PITTSBURGH. I have however visited both cities numerous times. :-)

Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,053,127 times
Pittsburgh is one of those cities that really surprised me. It was far prettier than I would have thought from the generally negative impression of it that I had growing up. The skyline with the rivers and bridges...really beautiful. From that perspective, it is way more interesting to look at than Tampa, which has no skyline worth talking about. However, the bridges going over the bay and over by Clearwater are very beaufiful as well. The water is incredible there...it's like the Caribbean. The beaches having that quartz sand that doesn't get hot and feels so soft under foot. Some people are just into beaches and others are not. I used to not care about beaches, but now in my mid-30s I have been drawn to them for their relaxing nature. I would take Tampa over Pittsburgh without question. Tampa has made strides recently, investing in arts and cultural centers...closing the gap with other major cities and striving to develop downtown. The high-speed rail will go directly to Orlando and its entertainment offerings. I think this area has a solid future, but the reliance on tourism will force it to lag behind until people have more money to spend.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 AM

650 posts, read 1,327,528 times
I'd rather reside in Tampa however I honestly don't know which is more important.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Pittsburgh is one of those cities that really surprised me. It was far prettier than I would have thought from the generally negative impression of it that I had growing up. The skyline with the rivers and bridges...really beautiful. From that perspective, it is way more interesting to look at than Tampa, which has no skyline worth talking about. However, the bridges going over the bay and over by Clearwater are very beaufiful as well. The water is incredible there...it's like the Caribbean. The beaches having that quartz sand that doesn't get hot and feels so soft under foot. Some people are just into beaches and others are not. I used to not care about beaches, but now in my mid-30s I have been drawn to them for their relaxing nature. I would take Tampa over Pittsburgh without question. Tampa has made strides recently, investing in arts and cultural centers...closing the gap with other major cities and striving to develop downtown. The high-speed rail will go directly to Orlando and its entertainment offerings. I think this area has a solid future, but the reliance on tourism will force it to lag behind until people have more money to spend.
This is the best post yet really accurate as Pittsburgh is a stunning city,but at the same time the areas surrounding Tampa are gorgeous with the beautiful bay and its beaches,it just has a clean and positive feel to it that gives it its vibrancy.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Wish I could have a Primanti Bros. sandwich right now. Pittsburgh is a very fun lively city.

YouTube - Man V Food Pittsburgh Primanti Brothers

Old 02-17-2010, 11:06 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I believe the negativity in the thread was started by someone else..IMO. I posted many videos about Tampa's skyline to attempt to balance things out. HAS YOUR HOUSE EVER BEEN RIDDLED BY BULLETS??? I have every right to get the truth out. Pittsburgh..I am sure has it's share of crime; but Sarasota has hundreds of YouTube crime videos...I put up the "nice" ones. Here's a list of violent crime by metro areas...
Get real, the Tampa bashing started with your original post, not that is was anything particularly bad or worth arguing over but you presented Tampa in a negative light from post one. But to be fair you weren't the only one, like usual DJ has to come in and start posting links and videos bashing anything related to Florida.
Quote:
The negative posts were started by another poster;
Not really, you played a role in it too whether you can admit that or not.
Quote:
I'd prefer to share more positive information from both cities
Haha, reread the the thread. You have a fair share of posts degrading Tampa. Not that pointing out the bad things is wrong or you shouldn't do that b/c every city will have its negatives but just don't sit there and pretend you are only trying to present positive posts b/c that is absolute BS.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Wish I could have a Primanti Bros. sandwich right now. Pittsburgh is a very fun lively city.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMHF7MvBBCA"]YouTube - Man V Food Pittsburgh Primanti Brothers[/URL]
Yuck. Looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City