Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa Versus Pittsburgh
TAMPA 80 31.75%
PITTSBURGH 149 59.13%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 5 1.98%
UNDECIDED 3 1.19%
DON'T CARE 12 4.76%
NO OPINION 3 1.19%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC26 View Post
They lost people because there is not any jobs in the state outside of Miami.
Miami's economy one of the hardest hit in the state. I don't see why you give Miami a pass on everything just because it is urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Says the guy from Jersey, the most corrupt state in the union.

Of course there were a lot of Ponzi scemes here. So many people were moving here and real estate is reap for con artists.

Last edited by TB Fla; 02-24-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
No one can seriously argue for Tampa.

Why?

Because Pittsburgh, home of Carnegies, Mellons, Steel, industry, and so much more, has been a vital force in rebuilding our nation. Thus it is far more important than Tampa, which has kinda been riding the vacation/housing boom wave for the past 50-60 years.
I can and have.

What Pittsburgh has Mellons? Tampa has Citrus. Pittsburgh has the steel?, do you mean "Had steel"? Pittsburgh has idustry? Tampa has Florida's largest port. Tampa is also home the MacDill AFB, which is second in command behind the Pentagon. Seems important to me. Im not bashing Pittsburgh. I think its a great city. But I think its hay day has come and gone, and Tampa is the more important city on a national level.

Last edited by TB Fla; 02-24-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I can and have.

What Pittsburgh has Mellons? Tampa has Citrus. Pittsburgh has the steel?, do you mean "Had steel"? Pittsburgh has idustry? Tampa has Florida's largest port. Tampa is also home the MacDill AFB, which is second in command behind the Pentagon. Seems important to me. Im not bashing Pittsburgh. I think its a great city. But I think its hay day has come and gone, and Tampa is the more important city on a national level.
Mellon = Carnegie Mellon University. The 2nd rated Comp Sci School in the country and the 10th best MBA Program as well.

Pittsbugh is a health care mecca right now. It is also moving to become an alternative energy giant as well as a top research center in robotics.

A few of the fortune 500 companies headquartered in Pittsburgh are U.S. Steel, PPG Industries, H. J. Heinz Company, PNC Financial Services, WESCO International, Allegheny Technologies, Mylan Laboratories, and CONSOL Energy...

Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Mellon = Carnegie Mellon University. The 2nd rated Comp Sci School in the country and the 10th best MBA Program as well.

Pittsbugh is a health care mecca right now. It is also moving to become an alternative energy giant as well as a top research center in robotics.

A few of the fortune 500 companies headquartered in Pittsburgh are U.S. Steel, PPG Industries, H. J. Heinz Company, PNC Financial Services, WESCO International, Allegheny Technologies, Mylan Laboratories, and CONSOL Energy...
Oh, that makes more sense. His comma between Carnegie and Mellon threw me off. Pittsburgh does have some great Universitys and a good amount of fortune 500 companies aswell. But due to Tampa's military importance, and its large seaport (11th largest in the nation by tonnage), I still thinks its the more of an important city.

Last edited by TB Fla; 02-24-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Oh, that makes more sense. His comma between Carnegie and Mellon threw me off. Pittsburgh does have some great Universitys and a good amount of fortune 500 companies aswell. But due to Tampa's military importance, and its large seaport (11th largest in the nation by tonnage), I still thinks its the more of an important city.
eh...I feel like the things that are good about Tampa are not unique...there are many military bases and many seaports (a seaport in Tampa only benefits the southeast, not the whole country), but the research/health care advances in Pittsburgh cannot be copied anywhere else

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
eh...I feel like the things that are good about Tampa are not unique...there are many military bases and many seaports (a seaport in Tampa only benefits the southeast, not the whole country), but the research/health care advances in Pittsburgh cannot be copied anywhere else
Really? There are plenty of other research and heath care facilities through out the nation. That is not unique. And yes there are other military bases throughout the nation, but MacDill is second only to the Pentegon in command. And seaports as large as Tampa's dont just support their regions. They are benifically to the entire nation.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Really? There are plenty of other research and heath care facilities through out the nation. That is not unique. And yes there are other military bases throughout the nation, but MacDill is second only to the Pentegon in command. And seaports as large as Tampa's dont just support their regions. They are benifically to the entire nation.
I don't know...I just haven't ever heard much about Tampa...it seems like not much comes out of it. Pittsburgh was chosen for the G20, it is becoming a poster city for green technology, people fly in from all over the world to study in the hospital system, etc...

Before this thread I didn't realize Tampa even had anything even semi-important going for it

Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I don't know...I just haven't ever heard much about Tampa...it seems like not much comes out of it. Pittsburgh was chosen for the G20, it is becoming a poster city for green technology, people fly in from all over the world to study in the hospital system, etc...

Before this thread I didn't realize Tampa even had anything even semi-important going for it
Tampa has not been a very important city for very long. Pittsburgh has a longer history of having a good economy, But Florida cities like Tampa don't get the credit they deserves for their economy, because most people think it all about tourism. It still is close though. You may be right, and Pittsburgh may be more important. More Fortune 500 companies and large universitys may be more important than having a large port and important military base. Im just going off my opinion. Its arguable.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Looks like the Amazon. beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City