Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa Versus Pittsburgh
TAMPA 80 31.75%
PITTSBURGH 149 59.13%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 5 1.98%
UNDECIDED 3 1.19%
DON'T CARE 12 4.76%
NO OPINION 3 1.19%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting thread. Both cities are very close in population as well as both metropolitan areas.

However these two cities could not be more different as far as their economies; demographics; climates; tourism and topography etc. are concerned. For instance: Pittsburgh is extremely hilly; while Tampa's topography is extremely flat. Both have large Universities; however IMHO...Pittsburgh's are of a much higher caliber.

Tampa city contains 303,000 residents; metropolitan area of 2.7 Million residents; with a city population density of 2,970 per square mile.
Pittsburgh city has 335,000 residents; metropolitan area of 2.5 Million residents; with a city population density of 5,637 per square mile. ALL population data is from the 2000 CENSUS. Tampa's airport averages approximately 18 Million passengers per year. While Pittsburgh averages about 10 Million passengers per year.

Tampa's GDP is estimated in 2008 to be 123 Billion and Pittsburgh's about 99 Billion. Pittsburgh is home to 8 Fortune 500 companies; while I had trouble finding data for Tampa, I think it has 4 Fortune 500's.

I will add links and pictures; however I had trouble finding an equal amount of Tampa pictures. PLEASE feel free to add links and pictures for both cities.

I prefer Pittsburgh because IMHO it is a more diverse city with better educational opportunities, better climate, friendlier residents and more varied topography etc. Also IMHO Pittsburgh has better and more interesting neighborhoods and MUCH less urban sprawl.

What's your opinion; PLEASE keep it civil...we ALL have different opinions. I wish to learn MORE about BOTH cities through this thread.

Tampa, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Tumpa.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:OldTampaCityHall01.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Do..._Fest_2003.jpg
http://www.sherryrogers.net/gallery/album02/downtown_tampa_feb_20th_2005_196 (broken link)

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:Montage Pittsburgh.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:GoldenTriangleA.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
File:PNCParkSkyline.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
PittsburghSkyline.com - Original Photography from the Great City of Pittsburgh by Matt Robinson

Also I think Pittsburgh's skyline BLOWS AWAY Tampa's skyline. In addition crime appears MUCH worse here, for instance we live in a great/expensive neighborhood in downtown Sarasota(just south of Tampa) and our house got hit by bullets recently over a neighbor's drug deal gone bad! I never experienced this type of violence in Scranton...which is roughly the same size as Sarasota.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 02-15-2010 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
I would choose Pittsburgh. I love its urban character and city center. I believe the state of Pennsylvania is also a much more stable state which is evident when you compare unemployment rates.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:26 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
I'd prefer to live in Tampa (I already want to live there), I also think Tampa is slightly more important than Pittsburgh although they're probably in the same tier.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Pittsburgh. I haven't been there in decades, but I have read that it has totally reinvented itself from its old rust belt city persona. I like the state of Pa. anyway.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I would choose Pittsburgh. I love its urban character and city center. I believe the state of Pennsylvania is also a much more stable state which is evident when you compare unemployment rates.
I agree with you; also the real estate market here is ABYSMAL. Real estate taxes continue to increase while house values have dropped approximately 50% since the height of the "BUBBLE". There is a huge amount of condos and houses on the market for sale, even as residents are attempting to move out of the area; this is further compounding the excess housing inventory problem.

Furthermore: Flood and Hazard Insurance has nearly doubled in price the past few years; while coverage levels and situations have actually been decreased. Unemployment levels continue to increase and government revenues are dropping! Since the state's economy is based on real estate, housing construction and tourism; which have all pretty much tanked, though tourism has dropped only approximately 10% this year, it continues to be the remaining bright spot in an otherwise bleak economic future. . http://www.historiclaurelpark.org/LivinginLaurelPark/tabid/71/Default.aspx (broken link)

Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 PM

138 posts, read 214,735 times
Tampa has actually grown since that last census count. It's population is about 350,000 now. I think it's pretty obvious that Tampa is more important. There is a military base, more celebrities live here, and really there is just more to do. Pittsburgh just seems a little boring to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can anyone tell me anything special about Pittsburgh?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33nthe813 View Post
Tampa has actually grown since that last census count. It's population is about 350,000 now. I think it's pretty obvious that Tampa is more important. There is a military base, more celebrities live here, and really there is just more to do. Pittsburgh just seems a little boring to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can anyone tell me anything special about Pittsburgh?
AS NOTED: the population data was from 2000; however do not be misled...for instance Sarasota WAS growing fast; now it is projected to have lost almost 5% to 10% of it's population. I live here...every 20th house or condo remains empty and unsold! Tampa may be more important...depends on your criteria. Military Bases are NOT high up on MY importance list; nor are the amount of celebrities that live in a city ........Jerry Springer lives here ...I do not think that's very important.....however it may be important to you??? Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are FAR more cohesive, less sprawled out and much safer for pedestrians and relatively, have less of a criminal element.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM

138 posts, read 214,735 times
I really don't feel that neighborhoods such as South Tampa and New Tampa have a criminal element.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
https://www.pittsburghg20.org/Articles/090809.aspx

Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
i would choose pittsburgh because of the dinstinction of seasons and cold weather. in my opinion, these polls would be much more useful if the same questions, w/ the same criteria, etc. were the same for all cities on cd. i realize nothing on cd is to be considered "scientific" in any way; however, following some of the good advice seems to make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City