Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Well...since you have a family its a tough call.

Chicago easily has the most going for it, but private school can be expensive, and its more expensive than Houston and Minneapolis. It's by far got the most going on though.

Seattle would be a good fit for the family if you can afford it.

Everybody I know from Minneapolis likes it and I've heard its a very progressive city. Could be a good fit.

Houston is an interesting city as well. It's very suburban but has lots of amenities and could offer a good family environment on a modest income.

Your picking 4 good options. I don't think you could go wrong with either 4, but I think you should think very, very hard about which is the best fit. Maybe more info about your prefereneces would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaum07 View Post
I've also pictured seattle has a "high" class, or expensive city? Is that really the case or are the other cities just as expensive? Also, I always hear about how cold Chicago and Minneapolis are, or how hot Houston is, but I never really hear much about seattle? Does it have all 4 seasons?
Seattle is not quite as expensive as the Bay area or Manhattan, but it is pricey. Definitely moreso than Houston and Minneapolis, probably slightly higher than Chicago. In Seattle, you are paying a lot for location and views.

Seattle is pretty mild year round, not real cold in the winter and not real hot in the summer. Typically it might snow once or twice a winter, which then melts in a day or two. Its been a really warm winter this year, yesterday it was 60 with a cloudless sky. It does experience 4 seasons, but they are not quite as distinct as some other places like New England. It's a marine climate, so it can be pretty overcast a good portion of the year (summer being the exception), with persistent storm systems cycling through in the late fall through early spring. In the Pacific Northwest, its kind of opposite of the rest of the country: winters are humid and summers are dry. Its very green in the winter, and in the summer the lawns turn brown.

Due to the latitude, winter days are very short and summer days are very long. Just like people in other places might complain about the heat or the cold, Seattleites complain about the rain and gray. Hope that helps!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I've lived in Minneapolis for a few years now and I don't find it to be boring at all. Also, those who complain about the Twin Cities, which is very few, wouldn't know what being happy is all about even if were to bite them in the a$$. With that said, there's a good chance you will be miserable anywhere you go smith.
I agree. I've lived in 5 different states and eventually chose Minneapolis (well, St Paul, actually) as the place to call home and raise a family. I don't regret it one bit.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
I'm not quite sure I understand how a southern city is different from a northern city aside from weather obviously. Is there such a difference between Minneapolis and Houston or Seattle and Chicago in terms of culture and people?
All 4 are very different from each other in many ways. As to South vs North, uy-yuy-yuy, the posters on this forum could write a book or ten on how they are different and which is better. I've lived in the North and lived in the South. I much prefer the North, but your results may vary!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The city I wouldn't recommend on that list is Houston. It's still a Southern city in terms of it's culture and people so I find to be quite backwards personally.
I know, right?!? I mean, it's so backwards that it's now the largest US city to have elected an openly gay mayor. The nerve....

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 PM

22 posts, read 55,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Seattle is not quite as expensive as the Bay area or Manhattan, but it is pricey. Definitely moreso than Houston and Minneapolis, probably slightly higher than Chicago. In Seattle, you are paying a lot for location and views.

Seattle is pretty mild year round, not real cold in the winter and not real hot in the summer. Typically it might snow once or twice a winter, which then melts in a day or two. Its been a really warm winter this year, yesterday it was 60 with a cloudless sky. It does experience 4 seasons, but they are not quite as distinct as some other places like New England. It's a marine climate, so it can be pretty overcast a good portion of the year (summer being the exception), with persistent storm systems cycling through in the late fall through early spring. In the Pacific Northwest, its kind of opposite of the rest of the country: winters are humid and summers are dry. Its very green in the winter, and in the summer the lawns turn brown.

Due to the latitude, winter days are very short and summer days are very long. Just like people in other places might complain about the heat or the cold, Seattleites complain about the rain and gray. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info, that was extremely detailed!!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, that was extremely detailed!!
I forgot to mention, there is kind of a misconception about the rain here. It's not like how it's portrayed in "Sleepless in Seattle" where its a torrential downpour like you would see in Miami. Typically the rainfall is very light, often times little more than just a mist. When its raining, usually you can do without an umbrella as long as you aren't outside for a long period of time.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Similarly, in Minneapolis and Chicago, when it's cold outside it's not as bad if you wear a hat and gloves.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:04 PM

31 posts, read 119,631 times
Been to all the cities except Seattle. Visited Houston extensively in the past and in the process of searching for employment in that area. Here is my take:

Out of the metro areas that you mentioned show me where you can get a 3500+ sq ft 5 br home with a huge lot for roughly 200k and have access to professional sports teams, the arts (more theaters in Houston than any place besides NYC), mostly warm weather (Dallas blizzard notwithstanding), diversity, family activities, the beach within a reasonable driving distance, JOBS JOBS JOBS (more fortune 500's in Houston than any other city besides NYC), world class dining and top notch shopping, major concerts, major sporting events (super bowls, all star games), world class health care (TEX Med ctr), access to great colleges and universities, 2nd lowest grocery prices in the USA (out out of the top 20 metro areas).......sure its humid as hell.... but I will just kick back in the air conditioned gameroom of my 3500 sq foot house while i marvel at how much of my check is still sitting in the bank AFTER the mortgage payment....Seattle/Chi/Minneapolis are nice in their own right but of the four cities you mentioned I prefer Houston....

Maybe a large home and some of the other advantages are not important to you however in a nutshell you get most of everything (save for the snow) in Houston that you get in the cities that you mentioned but with a much lower cost of living all around....

Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM

LOL For the life of me I will never understand how anyone could ever need 3500 sq feet of house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City