Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for historical tourism:
Boston 53 33.33%
Washington D.C. 29 18.24%
Philadelphia 50 31.45%
New York 16 10.06%
San Antonio 11 6.92%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:11 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,550 times

Advertisements

"New York Freedom Trail... the marked trail allows husbands and boyfriends to steer clear of all the super-expensive shopping districts when they are with their significant others, thus preserving their wad of cash and freeing them from unnecessary shopping trips and being dragged to thru such said shopping trips..."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
They are important just not the EVENT itself

At this point we will likely agree to disagree

What are more important the Olympic Events or the qualifiers?
I love how in your previous post you say "I do not discredit Boston in any way..." then in this post you totally discredit Boston. I'll be back with a decent argument tomorrow when I'm not doped up on sleeping pills haha.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
That doesn't discredit Boston; just a point not against any city in particular

Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
"New York Freedom Trail... the marked trail allows husbands and boyfriends to steer clear of all the super-expensive shopping districts when they are with their significant others, thus preserving their wad of cash and freeing them from unnecessary shopping trips and being dragged to thru such said shopping trips..."

The Los Angeles Freedom Trail follows the route of OJ Simpson's Bronco...It's kind of like Paul Revere's midnight ride.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Charleston would be indeed be a good choice but does not advertise itself to the same extent as do other cities. There is no "Charleston Freedom Trail" or loveable Ben Franklin figure to advertise the city. Somehow General P.G.T. Beauregard does not seem the same grandfatherly figure as Benjamin Franklin does, LOL.

The biggest history tours I seen for Charlerston have been advertisements for "Ghost Tours"!
Hmmm, from my perspective I think Charleston advertises itself relatively well, although I can't saw how well in relation to cities like Boston and Philly. I suppose that's because I'm much closer to Charleston and hear/see advertisements on a regular basis down here.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That last line --- good point. I never thought of it that way before.

Its still does not mean necessarily that Philadelphia is the "top city for historical tourism" over Boston, since it is obviously an opinion. Boston does a nice job with its Freedom Trail.

Sigh, I wish the unimagiative simpletons running New York would do a New York Freedom Trail, lol.
Patriot Tours Revolutionary Era Walking Tour Review - Learn About New York City's History on Patriot Tours Revolutionary Era Walking Tour

Other history tours:

http://www.bigonion.com/description/index.html (broken link)

Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Roger Williams of Rhode Island fame started the idea of the separation of church and state in the 1630's.
Jamestown was the first commercial venture (the Virginia Company I believe).
Massachusetts/Plymouth were never actually theocracies, yes politics were influenced by Puritanism, but they weren't religious states. But that all ended by the start of the 18th century and the Glorious Revolution (read up on it) Obviously New Amsterdam would be founded in the image of the Dutch Republic, which was one of the first republics, but they were hardly an independent European nation, with the Spanish, Germans, and French vying for control. But by the 1660's New Amsterdam ceases.

New York through the entirety of America's colonial history was a shadow compared to Boston, Philly, and Charleston SC. It wouldn't emerge the power it is today until the 19th century.

But everyone always seems to belittle the history of New England for their own sake. The events of the 17th and 18th centuries here in New England led to formation of our identity, government, values, culture. I mean through at least the Civil War, New England was the wealthiest, most culturally important region in the nation. Any American historian would tell you that.
Don't get how you read that anywhere in my post (about New York). Who belittles New England? My own early roots are in Massachusetts.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That doesn't discredit Boston; just a point not against any city in particular
I'd say likening the events that took place in Boston prior to/during the American Revolution to the qualifying matches of the Olympics discrediting Boston's role in history. (I think) I understand what you were trying to say, but the qualifying matches looked at as minor parts of an important event.

Massachusetts protested unfair bills passed by the Pariliament of Great Britain before anyone else. The Massachusetts Circular Letter, written by Samuel Adams, argued it was unconstitutional that we had no respresentation in British Parliament. Things like the Boston Massacre and Boston Tea Party provoked conflict on both sides. Everything before the Revolution culminated with the "shot heard 'round the world".

I wouldn't compare laying down the foundation, provoking, and finally sparking the American Revolution to a qualifying event in the Olympics. Would you call the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand a "qualifying event" of WWI?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,466 times
Philly for me, and then DC, followed very close by Boston

Old 03-09-2010, 01:38 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't get how you read that anywhere in my post (about New York). Who belittles New England? My own early roots are in Massachusetts.

I was mostly referring to people from Philly. It's mostly a personal story, but I've noticed a simialr mentaility from some posters here. It was a general comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City